Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: gear box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default gear box

Has anyone here ever pull the Creeper's gearbox out and exchange it for something else.

I should hope that I'm not alone, but if you read over my posts on this forum you know by now that I haven't had success with my Creeper. I am learning to hate the thing more as time goes by. After ordering new spur gears and installing it, the pinion decided to fail again. I hate (don't like using that word) the gearbox. So much that if the truck don't run after this weekend, I'm done with it.
wheelchair2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

lol, i just posted in your thread in general...as i never had the problems your having with your trans, i put a axial in mine just due to easier matnience....like getting to the motor. all you will have to do is drill 2 holes per chassis side plates and put in some sort of axial trans mount and skid.
the trans kit http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax30487a...ons-p-350.html
stock trans mount (will have to mod to keep lower links between plates) and currently using, have strc delrin that ive been to lazy to install
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax80007a...set-p-355.html
delrin skid option
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/axialrac...age=3&sort=20a
and a spur gear
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax30672a...87t-p-673.html
you also nees some screws and nuts and your choice of drive shafts

heres a pic of mine when i was first installed it and the brown thing hanging off of the back is a dna dig unit...
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

do you have a crawler group near to you,,it sounds like you need some tech support on set up and ongoing upgrades. the big thing about these rigs unlike a lot of rc types is that in order to be good they have to be made good from the start. there a re a lot of second grade parts out there that are said to be good that arent. we buy our parts from hundreds of different vendors worldwide and not all of them are selling the best quality. some people are buyin cheap from companies overseas and getting products made from lower grade materials that after a short time,,break.

it sounds like youve had a run of bad luck and i dislike seeing anyone suffer along with something they dont enjoy,,if you cannot get staisfactory results from your lhs or a nearby group then let me know and we can work out something to get your rig to me and i will be happy to look it over and see what i can do to help you out.

this is a hobby and should be relaxing and enjoyable,,it should not be a task or job to take part in.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelchair2 View Post
Has anyone here ever pull the Creeper's gearbox out and exchange it for something else.

I should hope that I'm not alone, but if you read over my posts on this forum you know by now that I haven't had success with my Creeper. I am learning to hate the thing more as time goes by. After ordering new spur gears and installing it, the pinion decided to fail again. I hate (don't like using that word) the gearbox. So much that if the truck don't run after this weekend, I'm done with it.
Ive not had a single problem with the gearbox, nothing, niente, nada.
Just opened my box for inspection after 15 hours of driving and there was absolutely no visible wear on the gears, everything was like theyre supposed to be.

Youve must done something wrong when assembling that gearbox and if your spur and pinion fails, thats usually because your gear mesh is set wrong.

Just my 2 cents..
FinCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinCrawler View Post

Youve must done something wrong when assembling that gearbox and if your spur and pinion fails, thats usually because your gear mesh is set wrong.

Just my 2 cents..
In response to your 2 cents, I followed the manual as close as possible. The truck ran for 15 minutes and while the diffs were unlocked, the spur stripped. I ordered several new spurs just in case. After reinstalling the new spur, the truck once again ran for 8 minutes with the diffs locked, then the motor started whining and the truck just sat still. All the while, steering works. With my kit, I added the Novak Rooster Crawler/Fifty-Five 55T Brushed System. I looked into the gearbox and noticed everything was fine except the pinion was not moving. So to try something different I asked my brother to take a look at it. He removed the motor and the pinion fell off like it wasn't screwed enough. After resetting the set screw and meshing it for the 3rd time with the spur, he reassembled everything. Once he gave the throttle a pull, the truck just sat still and the motor whined. I believe everything has been done that can be with the pinion and spur. It has got to be the motor at fault.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Finally! Today after one more try this week, my brother and I got all the gears meshed correctly and took my Creeper out to the rocks. I must say I was pleasantly surprised as it crawled. It got stuck on sharp rocks on twice. It ran along side a Axial Scorpion that had a brushless motor and a lipo. Needless to say the shinny red aluminum is scratched now and it boldly states "I have left the building!"

Now comes my decision as whether to keep it or not. I still despise the gearbox and favor that of the Axial. Other than that, I like everything else better on the Creeper.

Thanks again for everyone's help on here.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Finally! Today after one more try this week, my brother and I got all the gears meshed correctly and took my Creeper out to the rocks. I must say I was pleasantly surprised as it crawled. It got stuck on sharp rocks on twice. It ran along side a Axial Scorpion that had a brushless motor and a lipo. Needless to say the shinny red aluminum is scratched now and it boldly states "I have left the building!"

Now comes my decision as whether to keep it or not. I still despise the gearbox and favor that of the Axial. Other than that, I like everything else better on the Creeper.

Thanks again for everyone's help on here.
Pick up an RC4WD tranny.. the R2 crawler or something.. there built well.
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The R2 tranny's are freakin great and stout as hell,,but for all that stout,,you almost triple your low end weight right above the axle line,,,I agree on going Axial for a trade out tranny but the R2 is really more for a scaler, the added weight will hurt most on vert's and sidehills.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
I agree on going Axial for a trade out tranny but the R2 is really more for a scaler, the added weight will hurt most on vert's and sidehills.
Am I reading correctly...I can actually put an Axial tranny in my Creeper and not have to swap the whole rig?

Got a reasonable link for purchasing?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

please read the second (my) post.....i also posted a pic of after i installed it with links....
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazynocturnal View Post
please read the second (my) post.....i also posted a pic of after i installed it with links....
Cool. I don't think I would need the Ax80007 Axial Radio/ Transmission Mount Plate Set since my radio receiver is mounted to the top of my battery brace.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Cool. I don't think I would need the Ax80007 Axial Radio/ Transmission Mount Plate Set since my radio receiver is mounted to the top of my battery brace.
you WILL need it for the skid/trans mount unless if you go with the delrin skid
Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazynocturnal View Post
you WILL need it for the skid/trans mount unless if you go with the delrin skid
X2,,its the skid plate.