Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Creeper vs AX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Creeper vs AX-10

Hey gang. I'm coming from the Axial world (Ax-10 and XR-10) and have a couple questions on the Creeper.

In what I can see, there are many similarities between the Creeper and the stock AX-10. I'm looking to get a true crawler and convert it to a scale-ish type truck.

Help the noob here....how is the aftermarket 3rd party support for parts on the Creeper? Does it accept some Axial parts like c-hubs and knuckles? AX-10 replacement chassis? Are there some specific build threads that might answer my questions? I plan on diggin in and reading some, but if there are specific threads that answer my questions, it would be more efficient to get links to them, rather than going through non-relevant build threads.

I can get the Creeper kit for $99, and would work as a great starting point, but it does me no good if there isn't upgrade parts support.

Thanks for your patience with my noob questions!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Look at the RMDW T's & T's up in the stickies
and his build thread on the Creeper wagon
also any of the build threads that have a lot of replies will usually have a lot of good info.
myklt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Buy a SCX-10 if your looking ot build a scaler that can still crawl. There is nothing wrong with the Creeper (I own one) and I am currently turning my creeper into a scaler but I already own a SCX-10, AX10 with X-trail chassis, and another AX10 that is a scale tuber crawler. I am just bored and figured I would add the Safari chassis and body just for kicks.

If your looking for compatability with the AX10 parts they will not work with the creeper.

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 01-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
RCC Addict

the knuckles from the ax10 will fit the creeper but thats about it
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies.

I had an SCX at one time, and didn't care for the limitations of the X-trail frame chassis. Due to the servo mount, there is very limited travel in front.

I'm basically looking to take a crawler, add shorter shocks and scale tires and body. Just wondering if the Creeper would be a good platform for this. I don't like the way the upper shock mounts attach, but if there are alternate chassis for the Creeper, this could be addressed. It could also be done with self fabrication as needed.

With the Creeper half the price of an Axial, I just thought I'd investigate this option.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Knuckles will fit with a little modding. There is little to no aftermarket parts out there for the Creeper. I started with a creeper and then moved to an AX-10. Working on building up the Creeper and giving it to my dad. About the only 3rd party chassis are made by guys on the forum.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
RCC Addict

rmd maks most of the parts ans hot racing makes some too
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default The 4vp is vvv

on ebay and rm design works can be reached thru paypal his information is under his name on his t&t thread both use paypal so purchase is easy !!and ckrc has all the creeper parts you'll need
im2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Hey gang. I'm coming from the Axial world (Ax-10 and XR-10) and have a couple questions on the Creeper.

In what I can see, there are many similarities between the Creeper and the stock AX-10. I'm looking to get a true crawler and convert it to a scale-ish type truck.

Help the noob here....how is the aftermarket 3rd party support for parts on the Creeper? Does it accept some Axial parts like c-hubs and knuckles? AX-10 replacement chassis? Are there some specific build threads that might answer my questions? I plan on diggin in and reading some, but if there are specific threads that answer my questions, it would be more efficient to get links to them, rather than going through non-relevant build threads.

I can get the Creeper kit for $99, and would work as a great starting point, but it does me no good if there isn't upgrade parts support.

Thanks for your patience with my noob questions!
OK,,heres my take on the old question.

AX/SCX10 to Creeper and vice versa: You can use the links and rod ends, shocks, Drive shafts and yokes, wheels and tires, body, body pins and some body mounting posts, most of the M3 hardware and some of the M2 hardware too. The Creeper tranny will not mount to a flat skid plate and you cant mount an Axial tranny to Creeper skids. Axial axle housings are keyed while Creeper axle housings are hex ended where the C-hubs go on...so the C-hubs are not interchangable. The knuckles are interchangable with mods for bearings as the two brands use different bearings in the knuckles. Some chassis are interchangable between the two brands but require simple mods to fit. Both brands have 3:1 axle gear ratios but the tranny's are different in design and application. The Ax tranny is designed for side motor mounting while the Creeper has the motor in line.

The parts that are required to be modded or changed on the Creeper to make it reliable are the Axle Shafts to XVD's from RC4WD, the Shocks, Drive shafts and yokes (I advise the Traxxas steel yokes and long truck shafts), the lower links (All four) should have the bend closest to the chassis straightened out to make all four links high clearance. The rear upper links need to be raised and spread apart to defuse the Torque Twist. Lock both differentials..JBWeld or FLM lockers or one of the other types of home made locking ways to eliminate the selectable locker that wont work for very log before grenading on you at the worst possible time,,on the trail. Basicaly,,,$150.00 dollars worth of parts makes the Creeper comp worthy,,therefore trail/bash worthy.

Additional/optional yet non-necessary parts for increased performance are: Aluminum C-hubs, knuckles and rear axle lockouts are also available from Hot Racing. I also make a bunch of Creeper specific parts that truely increase performance.

Now heres my personal thought: why does a person buy a 32 Ford Coupe and drop in a Chevy 350? Use the entire rig or parts of it with custom designed and manufactured parts ie: chassis and make what you want or take this and that and build the rig you want based ont he need you have.

If you want front dig only then a Creeper trans with dig unit will work great but if you want both front and rear dig youll need either a highly modified Ax tranny,,an R2 D2 trans from RC4WD or a Losi Comp Crawler trans.

Stock Creeper axle housings, C-hubs and knuckles are strong...better out of the box than most. The links and rod ends are also good and last a long time. Stock Creeper steering components will allow for 52* of steering simply by modifying the servo mounting and link/shock geometry. And stock/aftermarket knuckles for the Creeper are all ZERO Ackerman.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote