Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: adding lipo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #1

Default adding lipo

Hello all,
This question is mainly for rmdw but,I thought i would post for all to see...anyone should feel free to chime in as well.

I am switching to lipo and on monday i am receiving my 3s lipos,charger,charging bag, and novak 3s lipo cutoff.
My question is..
My setup is not wired like what you show in your t&t thread.
Here is a link to the esc and bec that i purchased for this build..

http://store.rc4wd.com/Outcry-Crawle...BEC_p_666.html

And a diagram of the wiring itself from the same site..

As you can see it comes wired different than what you suggest.

Ive already removed the power switch and i do have some electronics background,so soldering is no issue...
also a link to and pic of my cutoff...
http://store.rc4wd.com/Novak-Smart-S...ule_p_660.html

I'm wondering if i should rewire to match yours?
And if not,how do i wire my cutoff in?
I didn't want to rewire without knowing if i would mess it up when changing it.I figure they had it wired this way for a reason.
thanks for all of your help
scott

Last edited by huckdat; 02-06-2011 at 12:54 PM.
huckdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The outcry is like any other esc. The 3 wire plug that goes to the Rx is the esc control wire. The 2 wire plug is the BEC.

Plug the 3 wire plug into the Rx, do not remove or cut the red wire from the plug, the esc will power the Rx. The bec now needs to be wired to the servo only. I would cut off and save the plug from the bec wire, leave about an inch or so of wire connected to the plug. now carefully remove the red and black wires from the servo plug. Note,,,the servo cable has three wires, the center wire is always the (+) then one of the two outside wires on one side will be lighter colored then the wire on other side of the center wire. The lighter colored wire will be the signal wire,,leave this lighter colored wire in the servo plug. Remove the darker colored outside wire the (-). So now you should have the (+) and (-) wires unplugged from the servo plug. Seperate the wires back about 4-5 inches and cut off and save the connectors, again leave about an inch of wire with the connectors. Now solder the wires together....the black wire of the bec to the black (darker wire) of the servo. Repeat with the red wire from the bec to the red or center wire of the servo. The signal wire in the plug coming from the servo can now be plugged into the Rx...make sure the wire is on the signal pin not the negitive pin in the steering channel slot of your Rx.

Now for the esc using the lipo cut off...follow the instructions closely. The esc plugs into the cut off then the cut off plugs into the Rx in the throttle channel slot. Let me know if you have more questions.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

the plug that goes to the rx throttle has the red wire removed from the plug.it is still whole- just not attached into the plug.do i put this red wire back into the plug to power the rx with no plug to the batt on the rx?

and then the red and black power wires to the cutoff can be soldered directly into the esc power plug from the lipos?

Last edited by huckdat; 02-06-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #4

thanks again rmdw!
wired like you showed except i put a plug between the esc and servo wires for ease of install and maintenance.everything works great.now just to install the lipos and cutoff when they arrive and i can finally get my setup done.
will definitely post pics as my whole setup was learned from this forum.

thanks to all who take the time to post so that others can learn from their experiences

thanks again
scott
Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdat View Post
thanks again rmdw!
wired like you showed except i put a plug between the esc and servo wires for ease of install and maintenance.everything works great.now just to install the lipos and cutoff when they arrive and i can finally get my setup done.
will definitely post pics as my whole setup was learned from this forum.

thanks to all who take the time to post so that others can learn from their experiences

thanks again
scott
Wait what,,,,?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Im a little concerned of where you put the plugs at/on? Good pics of the electronics would be great.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

sorry,
should have said "bec" and servo wires instead of "esc".
i put a plug on the red and black wires between the bec and servo in case i need to move the electronics around in the future.this way im not cutting wires again.

Last edited by huckdat; 02-06-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey huckdat I have your exact set-up that I'm trying to put together. If it wasn't to much trouble could you show a schematic of your finished work. I have next to zero electronics know how, but I can solder, and some of yours and RMD's conversations kinda went over my head. I have wore out the search for this answer just don't want it to go poof! Thanks for any help
RksPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RksPlz View Post
Hey huckdat I have your exact set-up that I'm trying to put together. If it wasn't to much trouble could you show a schematic of your finished work. I have next to zero electronics know how, but I can solder, and some of yours and RMD's conversations kinda went over my head. I have wore out the search for this answer just don't want it to go poof! Thanks for any help

hey,
what rmdw shows in his bec pic is the way to go,with the addition of the ground wire from the servo to the rx.(cant hurt)

these pics show where the lipo cutoff and steering servo are plugged in

this one shows how the steering servo and bec are wired together.the extra black wire soldered into the servo end attaches to the servo plug in the normal ground placement.the white wire ends under the heat shrink.

here is the entire wiring.the lipo cutoff is hardwired into the esc power plug.
ive removed the esc power switch so when you plug it in your going

hope this helps.
any questions feel free to ask

Last edited by huckdat; 02-26-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Am I seeing it right that you actually reconnect the red wire on the outcry. Your help was more than I expected and pictures are great thank you very much!
RksPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdat View Post
hey,
what rmdw shows in his bec pic is the way to go,with the addition of the ground wire from the servo to the rx.(cant hurt)

these pics show where the lipo cutoff and steering servo are plugged in

this one shows how the steering servo and bec are wired together.the extra black wire soldered into the servo end attaches to the servo plug in the normal ground placement.the white wire ends under the heat shrink.

here is the entire wiring.the lipo cutoff is hardwired into the esc power plug.
ive removed the esc power switch so when you plug it in your going

hope this helps.
any questions feel free to ask
The negative wire to the Rx can actually cause glitching...signal wire to the Rx from the servo only is best.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #12

im not being argumentative at all but, i had glitching before and now i dont.
i dont know if thats because i went to lipo, or from placing the neg wire to the rx.i just know that i dont have it now
Old 02-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

ok im really confused, im switching to a lipo soon (maybe not shure yet). so with the lipo cutoff you have to have a neg and pos wire going to the battery plug along with the two wires that go there from the cc bec??
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #14

from rmdw's diagram the cc bec hooks up that way.
i use the outcry and my bec hooks into the esc--
esc hooks to the battery along with the lipo cutoff.

Last edited by huckdat; 02-26-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
RCC Addict

sounds like im going to have to rewire my hole esc/bettery plug setup if i go lipo.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
sounds like im going to have to rewire my hole esc/bettery plug setup if i go lipo.
thats what i thought when i switched,but its not that bad.
i would suggest to find someone using the same or close to the same setup as yours and ask them for a diagram.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
Yashua

no, no, no, with the lipo cut off all you do is put it in series between the reciever and esc and hook the hot and negative to the battery plug -esc side , it has nothing to do with the bec.

Quote:
ok im really confused, im switching to a lipo soon (maybe not shure yet). so with the lipo cutoff you have to have a neg and pos wire going to the battery plug along with the two wires that go there from the cc bec??

Last edited by CREEPERBOB; 02-26-2011 at 07:10 PM.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
RCC Addict

what i mean is i have to add a neg and pos wire to my power plug along with the power wires to the esc and the power wires of the cc bec.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #19
Yashua

correct,. you could even pigtail off with a plug off the esc/battery plug , solder the lipo cut off and bec red & black to a plug and plug it in.

Quote:
what i mean is i have to add a neg and pos wire to my power plug along with the power wires to the esc and the power wires of the cc bec.

Last edited by CREEPERBOB; 02-26-2011 at 07:20 PM.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

thats true