Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: drive shaft angle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default drive shaft angle?

My drive shafts seem to be at a big angle where it connects to the small shaft coming out of the axle. Instead of both of them being in more of a straight line to the tranny like some others I've seen. The shaft coming out of the axles seem to point downward, is this right? Seems like it should point up a little more. If I compress the springs and lower the body you can see that the front axle does not point towards the tranny it points below it. The rear looks the same way.

Last edited by mwscooters; 02-10-2011 at 05:36 PM.
mwscooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
cherry bomb

my front axle/driveshaft is like that to keep the castor at a decent angle, i'd take off the driveshaft and max out the angle and rotate it by hand, then you can see its "max" angle, just make sure its the same or less when installed and it should be good to go.

shorten your lowers, or lengthen your uppers to correct it if its a concern.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Thats not really a bad angle. I've seen allot worse. Like stated above, longer uppers or shorter lowers will fix it. Can you get clockable C's to fit? That'd be ideal to keep the caster in check.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
my front axle/driveshaft is like that to keep the castor at a decent angle, i'd take off the driveshaft and max out the angle and rotate it by hand, then you can see its "max" angle, just make sure its the same or less when installed and it should be good to go.

shorten your lowers, or lengthen your uppers to correct it if its a concern.
I probably need new rods then, when you loosen up the stock rod ends they become to loose if they are not snug to the rod shaft.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwscooters View Post
I probably need new rods then, when you loosen up the stock rod ends they become to loose if they are not snug to the rod shaft.
not necisarly. you can make them longer with spacers, (to a certain extent before you need a longer grub screw)

you could also look into longer or shorter rod ends, then you dont have to worry about cutting your links
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Thats not really a bad angle. I've seen allot worse. Like stated above, longer uppers or shorter lowers will fix it. Can you get clockable C's to fit? That'd be ideal to keep the caster in check.
Yes I'm new to this what is a clockable C. Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
not necisarly. you can make them longer with spacers, (to a certain extent before you need a longer grub screw)

you could also look into longer or shorter rod ends, then you dont have to worry about cutting your links
thanks man those are what I need.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

you could also use a couple of spare nuts on the uppers or drill a new 1/8in hole, closer to the front of the chassis. trust me it wont hurt--- my stock chassis looks like swsis cheese from all my mods
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

looks pretty close to my angle in front. In rear I lengthened the upper link a bit and made it straighter but in front there is not much you can do with out effecting the caster angle for the knuckles. to much or to little angle and you wont steer correctly but I have yet to experiment on the crawler on that yet. if it doesn't bind up I don't think it will be a big issue
gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerr View Post
looks pretty close to my angle in front. In rear I lengthened the upper link a bit and made it straighter but in front there is not much you can do with out effecting the caster angle for the knuckles. to much or to little angle and you wont steer correctly but I have yet to experiment on the crawler on that yet. if it doesn't bind up I don't think it will be a big issue
Made a couple of spacers just over 1/16 of an inch thick. Added them to the upper links and now its perfect. Thanks to all who commented.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

the easiest way to rotate the front axle so the pinion angle rises is to move the lower links to the outside of the link tabs but install a spacer or rod end ball in between the tabs to support them, dont just screw the links to the tabs and cause them to squeeze together. The rotate the lower links so the bends are actually horizontal and the front bend is turned inward to allow for more tire clearance.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
the easiest way to rotate the front axle so the pinion angle rises is to move the lower links to the outside of the link tabs but install a spacer or rod end ball in between the tabs to support them, dont just screw the links to the tabs and cause them to squeeze together. The rotate the lower links so the bends are actually horizontal and the front bend is turned inward to allow for more tire clearance.
Sounds like a good idea,thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerr View Post
you probably put your caster blocks on the wrong side because they go on a specific way min points up
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
you probably put your caster blocks on the wrong side because they go on a specific way min points up
Do you have a pic of what your talking about thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

your c-hubs are on correctly they only appear backward because of your axle is clocked to the back.................lengthen your uppers1/4" will make a big difference.
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidkool View Post

your c-hubs are on correctly they only appear backward because of your axle is clocked to the back.................lengthen your uppers1/4" will make a big difference.
Thanks for the post, I'm glad that you let me know they were on right. I was starting to think they were wrong.