Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Creeper Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #1

Default Creeper Build

started off on my first RC Crawler build with a Venom Creeper kit, and a few other little extra's.

Started building at about 10am after getting off a 24 hour duty

All laid out and ready to go

transmission done, and motor mounted.

lower links done and mounted.

chassis rails mounted

battery tray mounted to chassis - top view

Side view

got it about 99% finished today, need to get a heavier duty servo though, and Venom shorted me by 2 bolts and a nut, also was less than pleased with how the suspension bolted on. i got it all bolted up and it was so tight that it sat a too high of an angle and the drive shafts would bind like hell, thats where the stage 2 kit comes into play because it widens out the links and shock placements. in absence of the kit, i did what i could to set it up, and the flex is pretty decent without actually running it.

took a page out of another guy's book and did a "star cut" in the foam on the tire, it helps the tire form to rocks a bit better by giving it more room for the tire to push in.

all in all, the build was moderately simple, couple spots where it got a little confusing, but its not too tough to figure out after you look at it for a minute or two, should be able to go get the missing nuts / bolts and the heavier servo this weekend, and *should* have it ready to go by Sunday when i might be able to get a few video's of it in action.

couple other things i'm looking at doing are inboarding the upper links to prevent stress on the little plastic eyes, have to see if i get new links with the Stage 2 kit, and go from there. but if i dont get new links i'm going to inboard them, should give it a little more leeway for flex, and reduce the stress on the joints.

Nick
nckwnchstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looking good so far! If you haven't built the springs yet, leave the internal springs out and JB weld the diffs before you close it up!
zukdogz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yea definitely inbound your uppers as the manual says to do. If your plan to keep your rear uppers on the axle that way, put a brace between the tabs. Your best bet is to raise them and spread them apart, with say a Paradox rear axle link. Also don't mount your battery up top. Find away to either place it across your rear axle or on the front uppers resting on your servo. Having it on top will make it top heavy and flip easier when siding hilling. Some odd reason I don't think your going to be happy with that motor, as it's going to be very slow.

Last edited by Wicked Klown; 03-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks good and definately take the internal springs out they're way to stiff. Oh and welcome to rcc man.
1mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Eww nasty plastic servo arm
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #6

yeah, ignore the plastic servo arm, the servo's i have were going to be for a cheap little electric car, just put it on there for shits and giggles, i'm heading to the shop in Osan S. Korea tomorrow to get some heavier duty servo's for front and rear steer, and then i should have it on the trails. I've still got the CKRC Stage 2 kit to install, its still in the mail and hasn't arrived just yet.

I'm planning on looking into getting a 50 or 55T motor tomorrow as well, the owner of the shop threw the 80T in for about $20, so couldnt really pass up the deal. can always use it on something else later down the road.

is there more of a benefit of mounting the battery on the front or rear axle? or should i just add extra wheel weights onto the wheels opposite of the battery to counter the weight? or skip the extra weights?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

any weight you can get down to the axles makes a very noticable improvement, front weight helps to keep the truck from doing wheelies when climbing

hopefully mine comes soon so i can build along......should @ least get the stage 2 in a day or so.....my creeper kit is backordered because of the missing parts

Last edited by rybredd; 03-10-2011 at 09:01 PM.
rybredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i wish my creeper kits came with a mountain dew and a bottle of treetop apple juice
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy4o View Post
i wish my creeper kits came with a mountain dew and a bottle of treetop apple juice
i figured id get thristy, and the Treetop Apple Juice really isnt just apple juice. its actually a tasty little drink called Apple Pie with 100 proof Vodka mixed in!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckwnchstr View Post
i figured id get thristy, and the Treetop Apple Juice really isnt just apple juice. its actually a tasty little drink called Apple Pie with 100 proof Vodka mixed in!

BWAHAHAHAHA! I figured u were so into the build you didnt wanna waste time walking ALL THE WAY 2 the bathroom!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Before you run it much, get in touch with Thomas (rmdesignworks) and get your CVD's taken care of.

And welcome to RCC
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
RCC Addict

dont forget about the rear link plate and maybe one of his servo plates or bta steering links too it will deff. make your rig perform better
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

if your going to run the stock tires for now you should snip all the short lugs off that makes a huge improvement i run them on my scaler and they are beast
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:

oooohhhhhh i love apple pie
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #15

I like the pics! Creeper is lookin good so far! Any other major upgrades planned??
QuinnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #16

nothing major after the Stage 2 kit, and the better choice of a motor, plan on getting a 55T to replace the 80T, i'm about 1/3 of the way through cutting the small lugs off one of the tires, then have 3 more to go!

and Apple Pie is but SUPER tasty
Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #17

Quote:
nothing major after the Stage 2 kit, and the better choice of a motor, plan on getting a 55T to replace the 80T, i'm about 1/3 of the way through cutting the small lugs off one of the tires, then have 3 more to go!

and Apple Pie is but SUPER tasty
Sweet! Yeah I am just getting ready to buy a new motor a speed control. Guy before me had a Traxxus XL5 and a 27T motor. Not the best combo for crawlin! I cant complain I got it for pretty much free
QuinnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Before you run it much, get in touch with Thomas (rmdesignworks) and get your CVD's taken care of.

And welcome to RCC
i've been pm'ing him......not getting a response, is he not on the forum a lot? or does he have a site to order from?
I've got some money for him, but its burnin a hole in my pocket...haha!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybredd View Post
i've been pm'ing him......not getting a response, is he not on the forum a lot? or does he have a site to order from?
I've got some money for him, but its burnin a hole in my pocket...haha!
from what he has posted in his thread hes been working ALOT of hours. hes always been good about getting back to peoples questions. i think 77 hours in the past week. he said that he was off yesterday but i havent seen him post up...im thinking hes probally sleeping. thomas is usaully good about being ontop of things just give him a day or 2 get things going again as he does the paradox stuff on his off time.
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

he got hold of me......sorry, didnt mean 2 jack your thread bud!