Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: b looking to build Venom Creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default b looking to build Venom Creeper

OK Ive read hours of forums and looked all across the crawler spectrum. Im looking to build on a budget. Ive looked at redcat to losi nitecrawler to axials and Venom.
I think I would like the Venom,good reviews, good performance for the money.
Aside from the kit at $99, what other parts do I need to complete it? Also where are good place to get the parts.(I did some searches,but much of the info is 2 or more years old)
Can I build it for $200.I have built RC buggies many years ago.But I dont know what names/brands are good for the money.Can I find many parts sfrom members? Is that normal/allowed here?

Parts I think I need( please help me find good parts at good prices!)

Controller - 3 channel
ESC- (what do I look for in specs)
Battery and charger- Nimh to start due to price.
Motor- can I use 55t for this
Servo- metal gears and metal servo arm

Did I for get anything?I am hoping some experts here will help guide me in my latest obsession!
Thanks in advance.
paul6ppca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #2

took this picture of the box for a friend of mine who was looking into getting a Venom Creeper, here's what you'll need for it:

you can get a RTR kit with the CKRC Stage 2 kit from their website for 296.99, i suppose you could keep it under 200, but it would be tough to do
nckwnchstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

About the only place I know to really get creeper parts is CKRC as well as some parts from [url=http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2717859&postcount=51]Rocky Mountain Designworks. FOr an ESC look at something with a dragbrake, something that supports the motor you want to run and LVC. You can get in to lipo for a low price, starting with a Imax B6 then get the battery you want to run. Yes you can use a 55t motor alot of people on here run them. I tried a 35t on 3s loved the wheel speed not lacked torque to flip me back over. Went back to my 55t motor and was able to flip back on to the rubbers. Myself I like Hitec servos with titanium gears. Also look at getting a Castle Creation BEC as well as a Castle Link to program it. A nice ESC to look at is a CAstle Creation Sidewinder v2. For a controller take a look at a Spektrum DX3e.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info,Ive been googleing . Anotherer question,I like the kits A and B.
At this price Ive seen losi nitecrawler for 269. Which would be better in the long run? Upgrades/parts/and mostly fun!!

At $300 can you get into MOA?
Sooooo many choices!

This afternoon I saw this for $209, Venom Safari Creeper Rock Crawler RTR Blue W/ DIG!
Is this comparable in performance to the comp crawler?

Last edited by paul6ppca; 03-10-2011 at 05:22 PM.
paul6ppca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Upgrade and parts I would say the Losi or an Axial. For mostly fun any crawler fits that bill. For $399 you can get a RTR Bully As far as the Safari should be the same as a plain creeper. Only difference is it comes with a scale frame for the chassis and a dig. For a better scale truck you could look at the Axial Scx10.

Last edited by Wicked Klown; 03-10-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Im going through the same thing right now. I think Im gonna go with the Castle Creations Sidewinder and a Tekin, Novak or Integy 45T Motor. Good luck man there are lots of options out there.
QuinnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

well if your looking to just have it to play with the safari is not a bad choice, you can do a lot of the same cheap mods for the comp crawler but it comes rtr with dig for a good price. You can even make it in to a comp crawler pretty easy too.

If you think you might at some point want to comp get either the creeper comp and build it up slowly ( I used a lot of used parts) or pop for a rtr night crawler or scorpion. any of the 3 will end up costing about the same in the long run but the losi comes with the possibilty of dual dig where the creeper and scorpion cant with out changing transmissions.

I like my creeper, it performs pretty dang well out of the box and the kit price of $99 is very affordable, the losi and scorpion will do pretty well too but both have a lot more aftermarket support and the rtr units is nearly comp worthy
gerr is offline   Reply With Quote