Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Shock caps!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Shock caps!!

I just got a venom creeper and the first time out I blew a shock cap now the shock is not useable. Is there any one else that had this problem?
gac1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

i have not had that happen but i did blow a shock shaft. after that i went to axial all aluminum shocks which would work great for stock use. i know run losi 4" shocks and i have them mounted on the chassie.
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
I have not had that happen, but I did blow a shock shaft. After that I went to axial all aluminum shocks which would work great for stock use. I now run losi 4" shocks and I have them mounted on the chassis.
Ok man I had to fix that for you. It was driving me nuts
gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i have had it happen 2 times to atleast 3 shocks......it started when i moved the shocks to the chassis(inside) and i think they are rubbing on the links at full articulation. i did however found a quick temporary fix....teflon pipe tape. this worked untill i ordered some new ones.
floundern45rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I popped a cap last week and for now I used 1/2 in heat shrink tube on the shock cap-body to help it stay on. So far so good- I've put 3 hard hours on it so far with no problems but losi shocks are first on my list!
Attached Images

bluenosegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default hmmm

Thats a great idea with the heat shrink tube
Old 05-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I fought with the stock shocks for a while, and went the Losi route as well. The caps don't strip out (they are aluminum), the shock bodies do (nylon).

Luckily for me, my kit was originally missing the shock pistons and o-rings, so Venom sent me 4 new shocks to replace the missing parts.

If your threads are damaged to the point where the shrink wrap won't hold the cap on, let me know. I have two extra, new shock bodies. I'll gladly send you one.
SledRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
RCC Addict

yea, i also went losi after i got tried of F&*^#$ axial aluminum shocks and tons of stock venom shock problems.
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I liked my venom shocks when I had them no problems with them ever worked great but I got losi with gold springs and like this set up better
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have put some more hours on my creeper with the shrink on them and still no problems. I was looking though on FLM's site and they make alluminum shock bodies for the creeper. Has anyone ran those yet? I am really curious about them because the price is right and they look sharp!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default hmm

I seen those....but im haveing these problems a week after buying this truck.....UPDATE!!! I called Venom Group LLC. After telling them about my problem, and talking to the guy on the phone about how he had his creeper setup. He told me he was going to send me a new set of 4 shocks. Great customer service!!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Ya their customer service is great. I wish I didnt have to use it when I first got my kit though! It was missing serveral items but they responded through email with in hours!. I dont know if it makes any difference but when I blew my cap it was on my first run with the shocks inverted. Since then I run with the caps on top and so far so good.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gac1983 View Post
I just got a venom creeper and the first time out I blew a shock cap now the shock is not useable. Is there any one else that had this problem?
Had the same issue on three of mine. I took a pliers and slighty ovalized the cap by squeezing it, now the threads grab again and I haven't had issue since. Hope this works for you. I also added some locktite just to be on the safe side. That was three months ago.
mwscooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenosegoat View Post
I have put some more hours on my creeper with the shrink on them and still no problems. I was looking though on FLM's site and they make alluminum shock bodies for the creeper. Has anyone ran those yet? I am really curious about them because the price is right and they look sharp!
I looked at those, too. But at $12 each, I could get a set of proven shocks. Plus, you still have to use the crappy, leaky Venom seals with the nice bodies.......
SledRig is offline   Reply With Quote