Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Videos!

Notices

Thread: g55 on the rocks-feedback appreciated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default g55 on the rocks-feedback appreciated

This will probably bore most of you to death, but I'm practicing the whole video process.

Any feedback on the video and/or the driving would be appreciated since I'm new to both.

Hope you enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6NgI_kIb8U

[edit: hmm. the soundtrack volume was too high. the shots facing the sun and facing directly away looked better in hi-res so I gotta stay away from those]

Last edited by pantablo; 12-21-2007 at 04:02 PM.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I liked it. It is a lot better than I could ever do! The only thing is the soundtrack sounded very broken up. Im not sure what happened there. I also wanted to say that the TSS build G wagon is Killer!
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:51 PM   #3

nice nice
AMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

thanks.
Strange about the music. Its a learning process for me since this is the 4th (only) video I've ever put together. Its pretty simple actually. I opened iMovie and followed the tutorial for the first one. The third and [this] fourth video were on Windows Movie Maker and they're very similar.
The third one I added music and it seemed a little low compared to the recorded sound. So this time I turned up the added soundtrack volume and reduced the recorded (by camera) volume. Sounds like the soundtrack was too loud. Possibly a result of the youtube compression, I dont know.

TSS builds some nice stuff. I'm very happy with Cory's work. He was also very helpful (and remains so) in regards the equipment, technique, etc.

As far as my driving...well I dont really know what I'm doing. Still figuring it out so I'm sure it looks sloppy.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default Nice

This is such a nice truck, TSS did a really nice Job for you Pantablo. Nice to see you wheeling around rocks finally, it is due for some scratches. One quick question. Is the truck supposed to be setup that hard? Going over alot of those rocks I would have wanted a bit more flex. Cory is the man and I am sure he has a reason, but a soft riding truck is easier to drive most of the time.
carcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

oh its got LOTS of scratches now....
I'll post up some pics later...

yeah, I've noticed its a bit hard. Might be because of the weather here being really cold perhaps? I know on oil filled shocks this could cause hardness but I dont remember/know if the shocks on this rig are oil filled.

I DO get flex, just not these last few cold, rainy days:
Old 12-21-2007, 11:25 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrafter View Post
...it is due for some scratches.
photos dont do it justice. The silver body color is integral to the plastic and it hides lots of it, at least in the photographs...

Old 12-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
RCC Addict

sweet vid
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I did some bench testing of the suspension last night and discovered a couple things.

1) the way I had the battery sitting in the rails was preventing full compression of the front suspension. I thought I had tested that before with full clearance but was wrong.

2) the shocks seem to have some stiction so that they dont compresss fully or return to normal completely, quickly on the first time. If I fully compress/extend them manually a couple times they feel more free afterwards and have a greater range of movement.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Great video man and thanks for sharing. It keeps making me want another G wagon ...
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Shocks may have Air in em

Check with cory I would hate to step on toes but there may be some air bubbles in the Shocks. This happens occasionally, but is easy to fix on most shocks. Just drain the old oil out and refill them using fresh oil, but make sure you slowly work the shock as you do because you will work any air traped in the shock out, so all you have is oil transfering instead of a Void (Air bubble) through the valve part of the shock.
carcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote