Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Rules

Notices

Thread: Cable Bridges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Cable Bridges

I know there is no official rule but, what is the normal width (cable to cable) for a 2.2 cable bridge? (Such as those at Nationals etc)
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have only seen a couple, but all have been the width of a 2.2, right in the middle of the tire.

Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
www.team3sixrc.com

Even though I understand the challenge of it all. Why in the heck is thier a cable bridge in RC crawling when you would never see it in real rock crawling? just curious is all.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Even though I understand the challenge of it all. Why in the heck is thier a cable bridge in RC crawling when you would never see it in real rock crawling? just curious is all.
just another challange to add to the excitement
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

They are there to be just another thing I have troubles getting over, through or around....
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Dealing with man made obstacles is not my favorite part of ROCK crawling for the very reason this thread was started.

At WCC I knew there would be cables, so I had some thicker hexs to deal with my narrow track width. I decided not to install them, and as you can see my truck barely fit on the cables.

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 06-30-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

persanaly i dont like the idea of having to roto-hammer all these beautiful rocks
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbio4422 View Post
persanaly i dont like the idea of having to roto-hammer all these beautiful rocks
Pretty insignificant from an environmental perspective. You should see what the 1:1's were doing to the rocks. Or the rock climbers just down the road. 4 holes will not be noticed.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Keep Crawling in Crawling

The downfall I see to cable bridges are the widths they are built at. The rules state you can be 12.5" wide or you can be as narrow as you want. If a cable bridge is built to be centered on a Losi width rig then a berg with rig will have problems being centered and possibly not fit on the cables. I understand the reason a cable bridge is put into a course but I do not think it is a fair assesment of skill do the possible widths of a rig.
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

we ended up using 10" and it worked pretty good. I agree with the above that they should not be in rock crawling but, I was out voted. I think only maybe 3 trucks managed to get across the bridge without problems (Luckily I was 1). Even with the cables stretch tight, the wind would catch the trucks and get everything rocking.

There needs to be a standard established if they are to be used in major comps. We ran into problems because 1 person would have a narrow Axial and then the next a wide Berg. The 10" worked because it was on the outside of the narrow and the inside of the wide.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The course designer just needs to insure that the gates involved can still be progressed even if the rig falls off. The only penalties being more time or a gate penalty therefore giving a reward to those that are able to cross it without falling off. It would suck if your run ended because your righ did not fit on the cable bridge.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
Ultimate RC Decals

one of our comps last year we set up two cable bridges, one was a tight bridge and the other we kept loose. the loose bridge was alot more difficult to get through. if you want it challenging try a loose bridge.

cables were set to the width of the tires center to center.
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i see cable bridges as more of a spectator thrill than a challenge, certainly not necessary. do they belong in rock crawling? maybe not, but i think they're fun. here in vegas the only man made obstacle we've ever involved in a comp was an old burnt out mattress we found in the desert.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
we ended up using 10" and it worked pretty good. I think only maybe 3 trucks managed to get across the bridge without problems (Luckily I was 1). The 10" worked because it was on the outside of the narrow and the inside of the wide.
10" I know my truck would fall through that

When I set up cables, they are set at 8.5" mark based from a 10 1/8" wide truck. Narrower trucks can make the obstacle, along with some wider ones as well. The only time we had a problem is when Josh(carbonuts) was running the bullies(pre-release) and I think he was near the 9" width, which only allowed him 1/4" on each side..
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #15
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
I agree.

I think the whole cable bridge thing may become pretty difficult with the diversity of rig widths out there.
SO who's width do you base the width on a losi? My super wide berg? or a axial?
And how would this be fair to make a decision on width?
The rules state a rig can be no wider then 12.5 inch and a gate can be no less then 16" so isnt a cable bridge braking the rules in some way?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote