Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Rules

Notices

Thread: Optional 20 points gate rule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Optional 20 points gate rule

Hi team,

Can someone please clarify the details on this optional rule for us.

Say a driver is attempting a gate and has accumulated 10 points worth of penalties.

Then they roll the rig over and have to take the Vehicle Touch penalty. At that point they now have 20 points, can they re-position be to infront of the gate they were attempting, or do you put them back at the last gate they completed and then allow them to drive around the gate they were attempting (without progress points)?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Mike.
The CrAwLL BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CrAwLL BLACK View Post
Hi team,

Can someone please clarify the details on this optional rule for us.

Say a driver is attempting a gate and has accumulated 10 points worth of penalties.

Then they roll the rig over and have to take the Vehicle Touch penalty. At that point they now have 20 points, can they re-position be to infront of the gate they were attempting, or do you put them back at the last gate they completed and then allow them to drive around the gate they were attempting (without progress points)?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Mike.
The 20 point through rule is an optional that not all comps use.

Basically, if when you accumulate 20 points for 1 gate (in whatever manner), you vehicle is then repositioned to start at that gate and 20 pts are recorded (regardless of how far over 20 you got on that gate), so that you can attempt the next gate, but with no progress bonus for that gate.

For example, while trying gate 3, you hit a gate (10 pts, had a rollover (5 pts), and had 3 reverses (3 pts), and you hit the other gate (10 pts). Instead of 28 pts, 20 points is recorded on the score sheet, with no progress bonus, and your vehicle is set with the rear axle in gate 3 so that you can now proceed to gate 4.

Hope that helps.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

What ET said was exactly right. The only thing he missed is your statement that a Roll-Over Touch is 10 points...its only 5 points
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
The 20 point through rule is an optional that not all comps use.

Basically, if when you accumulate 20 points for 1 gate (in whatever manner), you vehicle is then repositioned to start at that gate and 20 pts are recorded (regardless of how far over 20 you got on that gate), so that you can attempt the next gate, but with no progress bonus for that gate.

For example, while trying gate 3, you hit a gate (10 pts, had a rollover (5 pts), and had 3 reverses (3 pts), and you hit the other gate (10 pts). Instead of 28 pts, 20 points is recorded on the score sheet, with no progress bonus, and your vehicle is set with the rear axle in gate 3 so that you can now proceed to gate 4.

Hope that helps.
Thanks.

Understand it's optional, just wanted to clarify it's use.

Hmmm. It sounds difficult to score then doing it that way. As a marshall we note down the penalties as they occur on the score sheet.

So, in the example you give, they are on 18 points (gate=10,roll=5,rev=3), on the next gate hit do you just score 2 more rev's on the score sheet so maximum is 20 and then set the vehicle through the gate?

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx View Post
What ET said was exactly right. The only thing he missed is your statement that a Roll-Over Touch is 10 points...its only 5 points
Hey Fishmaxx,

Thanks.

What I meant is they roll over on to their lid. And have to take the full vehicle touch penalty as they cannot roll it back from the side.

Must be my accent.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Hey guys,

One more thing.

I know the 20 points is optional. And now, 20 points is the maximum score recorded, with NO gate progress

BUT, say the driver has time up their sleeve and chooses to continue attempting the gate and keeps accumulating penalties. Do they Point out if they get to 40, or do we only count 20 and wait for them to either time out or they decide to move on to next gate?

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks.

Understand it's optional, just wanted to clarify it's use.

Hmmm. It sounds difficult to score then doing it that way. As a marshall we note down the penalties as they occur on the score sheet.

So, in the example you give, they are on 18 points (gate=10,roll=5,rev=3), on the next gate hit do you just score 2 more rev's on the score sheet so maximum is 20 and then set the vehicle through the gate?

Cheers,
Mike.
I'm not sure how your score sheets look, but ours have a place for each gate to write the points accumulated for that gate. Simply write a 20 in that spot & disregard the checks for reverses, gates, etc...

Quote:
Hey Fishmaxx,

Thanks.

What I meant is they roll over on to their lid. And have to take the full vehicle touch penalty as they cannot roll it back from the side.

Must be my accent.

Cheers,
Mike.
I think you might have mis-interpretted the rollover penalty.

A rollover can be taken when directly on the lid. You just have to make sure the vehicle is rolled to one side or the other.

Quote:
Hey guys,

One more thing.

I know the 20 points is optional. And now, 20 points is the maximum score recorded, with NO gate progress

BUT, say the driver has time up their sleeve and chooses to continue attempting the gate and keeps accumulating penalties. Do they Point out if they get to 40, or do we only count 20 and wait for them to either time out or they decide to move on to next gate?

Cheers,
Mike.
Any time that we've judged that, the judge calls 20 pts and picks it up and moves it to through that gate. No choice given. It's really advantageous to the competitor to move on to the next gate, and it also keeps the comp moving.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

A rollover can be taken when directly on the lid. You just have to make sure the vehicle is rolled to one side or the other.
Indeed, but if the vehicle can't be rolled onto its wheels from the side, then a vehicle touch needs be taken. This is the question I think.

If you've already accumulated between 10 and 19 points for that gate and have to take a vehicle touch, the V.T. rule states that the rear wheels have to go back in line with the last gate completed.

But if the 20 max rule is in play, then is the 'rear wheels back in line with the last gate completed' part of the rule ignored and instead the vehicle placed through the uncompleted gate?

Or does it have to go back to the last completed gate?
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnBlack View Post
Indeed, but if the vehicle can't be rolled onto its wheels from the side, then a vehicle touch needs be taken. This is the question I think.

If you've already accumulated between 10 and 19 points for that gate and have to take a vehicle touch, the V.T. rule states that the rear wheels have to go back in line with the last gate completed.

But if the 20 max rule is in play, then is the 'rear wheels back in line with the last gate completed' part of the rule ignored and instead the vehicle placed through the uncompleted gate?

Or does it have to go back to the last completed gate?
The 20 points completes that gate, just without the progress bonus, so you'd place the vehicle through that gate.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the replies, definately helping us to understand the rules and how to apply them down-under.

EvilTwin, it sounds like you guys run a pretty detailed score sheet. Any chance of getting a copy?

Quote:
Quote:
I think you guys are finding my Kiwi accent hard to understand. My example is that the rig is not on 4 wheels and cannot be rolled over by the side back on to 4 wheels. Perhaps in a crack, or hole etc...so the VT is the only option.

I think just a poor choice of words on my part, and wrong example to use. Hitting both gate markers would have been clearer :?

Thanks again team.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

pm sent