Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Rules

Notices

Thread: Shafty pro class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Shafty pro class

I wasn't quite sure where to put this...but this seemed best.

Will the ever increasing moa crowd, i was wondering if we can bring the roots back to crawling with a 2.2 Shafty pro class...so there will be 2.2 MOA pro, 2.2 Shafty Pro, and sportsman.

Right now i'm debating to go back to shafty, or swap my losi axles to a moa chassis, as both will cost bout the same. Shafty is my pick.

Some advantages for a shafty class is

*Brings back that key element that has put power to the ground for ages
*it'll boost sales for our vendors that have invested lots of money for the shaft crawlers (ax-10, losi, tlt, etc)
*Allow more specialized courses

I know this was voted on or mention last year, but i think it ought to be put back up to vote for the 2012 season
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Personally I don't see the difference between a sportsman class and a shafty pro class. Sportsman (at least in our area) is open to everyone. Besides that our sportsman turn out at events are pretty low and is Shafty only. I can't see anyone making a distinction between the two "shafty" classes.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I personally would like to see a 2.2 shafted class instead of 1.9 for a few reasons....

*Parts interchange ( between the already dominant 2.2 class)
*Lack of major vendor support for the 1.9 class (as in only losi)
*Strength of all said parts
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
I personally would like to see a 2.2 shafted class instead of 1.9 for a few reasons....

I myself have loved 1.9's from the 1st day.I also enjow 2.2.but 1.9 is where its at for me.Thier size and weight allowes them be be fun in more places.

Now 2 yrs ago,their ability was somewhat limited.But with top chassis like the bj,t1e,wedge,g3 amoung others.great geometry is just a part # away.

And with quality tires available by hb,there is no need to cut ans shut,again great traction just a part # away.

and ofcourse power...now you just have to pick your poison,there are goos brushed and brushless options available.

Now I try to have atleast one backflip gate in every 1.9 course I build,not to metion the launches and climbs.Whats "duable" has advanced along with products available.They are more fun now than when I started,and are a very cheap entry level crawler which is
good for clubs in our current economy IMO.

I do wish there was more axle and tranny options,but axial has felt scale and moa was thier best bet.

Last edited by rock hard; 07-17-2011 at 11:47 PM.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I agree with Paul on this one. I love the mini. It's easy to build a very competitive truck without breaking the bank. Heck, even the MRC Pro chassis is quite capable. When I started into the class, I spent a ton of money to get a competitive rig (over a grand), but now, with the MRC Pro available for under $100, we can easily attract new people into the hobby without breaking the bank. We have had a few locally that have started in with 1.9's and once hooked, have stepped up into the 2.2 class.

As far as the original post, I'm not sure that there would ever be enough interest in a Pro Shafty class to warrant building extra sets of courses and completely running it separately. If your local club wanted to do that, nobody would stop them. Or they could run the MOAs and shafts together and award separate prizes/trophies for Shafty and MOA. But I really don't sees where anything needs to be done at the national level.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
Now I try to have atleast one backflip gate in every 1.9 course I build,not to metion the launches and climbs.
Dick.

Seriously, I loved the course you built at TSF.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:

Considering we may be seeing a complete lack of kits in the future for the 1.9 class (what is losi up to?), this does need addressing. I really like krawlfreak's idea here, but I would suggest a few tweaks.

1.9 rims, but larger tires allowed
WB and width to suit 1/10th scale axles and larger 1.9 tires. Like 10" WB and 10" width for example.

This way we still have the 1.9 class, we can use widely available and supported parts, and we can have smaller trucks for some variety in handling and vehicle size. I know there aren't any production trucks that fit these exact specs, but the same can be said for Supers right now too. An AX10 or SCX10 base could be easily converted, or people could just buy the many many axles already out there and build their own from scratch.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

X2!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'd love to see a "pro" shafty class (whatever it may be called) compete at a higher level.

1.9 is cool with me too. I'd say leave it as is.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Got Worms?

Well my biggest reason/concern for pro shafty is so we don't stop getting vendor support for shafty products...however i do like the 1.9 10" wheel base that was said earlier.

Here locally, no we'd all run the same course, we usually make gates progressively harder so the sportsmans (like 1-2 people) can have fun with the course. So i'm sure it be the same, as for the difference between sportsman and shafty pro would be the use of dig
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

At least the scalers will keep the shaftys in business.

With what looks like a lack of support for the current 1.9 class and Losi getting out of the crawler game the current 1.9 class needs to change.

I would like to see the 1.9 class adopt all of the Sportsman rules only requiring 1.9" wheels and a smaller max tire height. Driving 12.5" WB shaftys with 1.9 wheels sounds like fun to me.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
...Losi getting out of the crawler game...
You know this for sure?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Personally I don't see the difference between a sportsman class and a shafty pro class. Sportsman (at least in our area) is open to everyone. Besides that our sportsman turn out at events are pretty low and is Shafty only. I can't see anyone making a distinction between the two "shafty" classes.
Shafty pro class=dig
Sportsman class=no dig

I understand cuz battling shaftys up against a well built moa is hard and almost impossible,dedicating a new class to shafty pros so they aren't pinned up against moaw would make it funner.
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. crawl View Post
Shafty pro class=dig
Sportsman class=no dig
adding two more classes with the ever troubling judges issues doesn't sound like it would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Considering we may be seeing a complete lack of kits in the future for the 1.9 class (what is losi up to?), this does need addressing. I really like krawlfreak's idea here, but I would suggest a few tweaks.

1.9 rims, but larger tires allowed
WB and width to suit 1/10th scale axles and larger 1.9 tires. Like 10" WB and 10" width for example.

This way we still have the 1.9 class, we can use widely available and supported parts, and we can have smaller trucks for some variety in handling and vehicle size. I know there aren't any production trucks that fit these exact specs, but the same can be said for Supers right now too. An AX10 or SCX10 base could be easily converted, or people could just buy the many many axles already out there and build their own from scratch.
this is a very good sounding alternative to what i am saying.

keeping the 1.9 wheel is a great idea. having 2.2 running gear is what i would like to see.

seems to me there are plenty of alternative setups to run. w/b and tire size upped would actually open up some neat combinations of cut n shut tires too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
At least the scalers will keep the shaftys in business.
very true
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
You know this for sure?

Well they certainly aren't telling anybody they haven't pulled out. One thing I have learned is that when rumors start and the company won't confirm or deny, the rumors are at least partially true.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well they certainly aren't telling anybody they haven't pulled out. One thing I have learned is that when rumors start and the company won't confirm or deny, the rumors are at least partially true.

previous actions say alot as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, I hear you...
Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Instead of adapting our class to use a more common axle, I wish there was a way that we could show the manufacturers enough demand for the current class that somebody else would build another crawler or at least axles and transmission to fit within it.

I personally don't care for the idea to extend the wheelbase and track width is that it would be too close to other classes that we already have. Basically, it'd be a 2.2 MOA, 2.2 Sportsman, and then a small tire Sportsman class.

At least with the current 1.9 class, there's an entirely different terrain that can now be used to build courses. Obstacles that were just speed bumps for the 2.2's are useable for challenging 1.9 courses. I, personally, like the current classes as is. If people want to use shafties, then either disable/remove the dig and run sportsman or learn to drive 'em and run with the MOA's... BTW, I've watched well driven shafties place pretty high at several different levels of competition.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
X2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I'd love to see a "pro" shafty class (whatever it may be called) compete at a higher level.

1.9 is cool with me too. I'd say leave it as is.
I agree, what could it hurt, it might even bring back some of the old club members who didn't choose make the MOA jump and didn't want to run in the Sportsman class.

Personally the 1.9 trucks doesn't intrest me at all.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

It can be challenging enough to judge, score, and tally the classes we already have, I think adding one more into the mix would be too much.

I would like to see the sporty class be limited to only shaft-driven rigs with no dig, I think MOA rigs should not be allowed in the sporty class.

More to add to the rumor mill, I heard Losi was coming out with a new 1.9, true or not, don't know. It would be nice to have more options for 1.9 rigs. I liked running a 1.9, it is what I think the sporty class should be, more of a spec class. For as much as I liked running the class, I hated wrenching on the rig. The parts are just too tiny for my fat fingers and what is 'hand-tight' on a 2.2 is breaking torque on a 1.9.

JMHO...

Last edited by Greatscott; 07-19-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote