Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Rules

Notices

Thread: Forced articulation leagality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Forced articulation leagality

Since we are all busy debating over rules and such a thought it wise to discuss my planed 2.2 build so that I don't end up waisting a bunch of time building something that I cannot run in compitition.

With that said I don't care if you don't like my idea, or think its stupid, I just want to discuss the leagality of it. So from what I have gathered by reading the rules and talking to Fishmaxx, the rules state that wheelbase and ride height cannot be changed durring a run. I want to run a forced articulated rear end in my new 2.2 buggy. So instead of trying to explain it I rigged it up on the back of my super to show exactly what I plan to do.
http://media.putfile.com/forcedarticulation

From this I see no rule violations. This will be used on a 2.2. I dont see a ride height change, or the ability to change ride height, no rear steer, and no w/b change. Opinions?????
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

looks like a good idea if u hung up the axle u could get some traction to step off it
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

As the rules states today I would say its ok. The 2007 Rules Committe is being formed, and will have the final say.

I think its smart that you thought to ask ahead of time instead of forcing down peoples throat on comp day Thanks
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I don't see why that would be a violation, it just seems like a mechanical suspension preload.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well like I said, I would rather be told no now than spend a week fabing up a chassy and then driving all the way to a comp just to be turned away. I didn't figure it was illeagle but it would be easier on the day of a comp if everybody had seen it in advance instead of just saying check this out and then everybody just standing around arguing.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Seems cool to me. Doesn't break any rules IMO.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

OK then, so everybody in SERCRC and TSC knows ahead of time my 2007 2.2 rig will be a clod with 2 esc's and a forced articulating rear suspension. So I don't want to hear any complaints when I take 7th place at all the comps!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 05:09 AM   #8
Colt Python/SR9c

LMAO jeff.. At least you will beat me with my 2.2 clod with dig only
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't count on it, I can't drive remember.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ok so nobody had a problem with this when I posted it, now that they see my rig, they want to make it illegal. The time to make that decision was three weeks ago when I brought it up, not after the fact. If I had kept this build quiet nobody would even be talking about it, the rules would not be under concideration for change. Let me run it next year, then make a desision, but don't cut it down before it's even givin a chance.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I think being able to run a rig for a year before a rule change is a great idea. Even if your design is shot down now, there are other ways to accomplish the same feat. You arent even breaking any USRCCA rules as your design is now anyway. How do you control the lean? 3 way switch?

I still say it is more driver than rig.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I agree it is more about the driver, just look at CSR, no digs no frills just strait up driver skill, as for the servo I run a 4 channel so its on the alieron channel.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

cool. I like 4 channel stick radios for crawling. I just set up my tracked vehicle to drive like a tank, or like an RC car. Mixing is awesome.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze
Ok so nobody had a problem with this when I posted it, now that they see my rig, they want to make it illegal. The time to make that decision was three weeks ago when I brought it up, not after the fact.
Posted on 11-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx
As the rules states today I would say its ok. The 2007 Rules Committe is being formed, and will have the final say.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I'm a NOOB here at rccrawler, but have been RC'ing for 25 years. I've also been visiting this site for quite awhile now. Crawlin' is fun.

Anyway, I'll jump right in with my question.

I checked out Kamikaze's rig when he first put it up. Very cool. His inovation is a good example what this sport is all about

My first question is, and it's probably been asked many times, but I wanted to bring it up in a new light...what members make up the rules committee?, and which of those members are also competitive drivers in these events? I'm sure you can see why I'm asking

Also, I noticed that "dig" is allowed in 2.2 class competition for the new season...why? I see that it is a popular decision...especially for those who have mastered the skill , but I was under the impression that the 2.2 class was supposed to be a little more, how should I say, realistic? than the super and unlimited classes...what's realisitc about "dig"? If you're going to spoil the 2.2 rules with the addition of dig, then why not just allow everything, and just keep the 12.5" rule intact?

Sorry to introduce myself like this, but this country would not even exist if it wasn't for questioning "authority".
DrexeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexeL
I'm a NOOB here at rccrawler, but have been RC'ing for 25 years. I've also been visiting this site for quite awhile now. Crawlin' is fun.

Anyway, I'll jump right in with my question.

I checked out Kamikaze's rig when he first put it up. Very cool. His inovation is a good example what this sport is all about

My first question is, and it's probably been asked many times, but I wanted to bring it up in a new light...what members make up the rules committee?, and which of those members are also competitive drivers in these events? I'm sure you can see why I'm asking

Also, I noticed that "dig" is allowed in 2.2 class competition for the new season...why? I see that it is a popular decision...especially for those who have mastered the skill , but I was under the impression that the 2.2 class was supposed to be a little more, how should I say, realistic? than the super and unlimited classes...what's realisitc about "dig"? If you're going to spoil the 2.2 rules with the addition of dig, then why not just allow everything, and just keep the 12.5" rule intact?

Sorry to introduce myself like this, but this country would not even exist if it wasn't for questioning "authority".
The rules committee is made of of representatives from each club recognized by the USRCCA. They are voting based on how their respective club feels on a certain subject. No decision has yet been made about forced articulation. Each rule change is debated in length while voted on. Yes, we represent every competitive driver that is recognized on the national level, to answer your question.

To address your question about what is realistic about dig: Nearly every competitive 1:1 Rock Crawler has Dig in some form. So I ask you, what's unrealistic about Dig? Dig has ALWAYS been allowed in 2.2... it's not a new addition.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy
The rules committee is made of of representatives from each club recognized by the USRCCA. They are voting based on how their respective club feels on a certain subject. No decision has yet been made about forced articulation. Each rule change is debated in length while voted on. Yes, we represent every competitive driver that is recognized on the national level, to answer your question.
Even more information here:
Attention all competitiors!!!USRCCA info
Old 12-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #18
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexeL
what's realisitc about "dig"?
100% of the pro level competition 1:1 crawlers can dig. 0% of the pro level competition 1:1 crawlers can force articulation.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Don't want to step on any toes here but I have seen in competition a crawler with hydraulic cylinders at each corner, no springs or shocks. I believe it was some type of 4 link setup. He had total control over the suspension. I think he was running tractor axles. Its been 8-10 months since I've seen this and that is about all I remember. I saw it on either the outdoor channel or the speed channel.
BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

if we're comparing to "Pro-Level" then why is wheelbase, rim diameter, rear steer, etc. all limiting factors in our sport?

I like how we have our comps setup in Nor-Cal.

Scale 2.2: Must use a frame rail-type chassis, battery must be mounted on the chassis, wheels fit in wheel wells etc...
2.2 Unlimited: Anything goes. 70% body rule.
Supers: Anything goes. 70% body rule.

I say allow the third channel functions but have it be 1 penalty point every time it's used. Simple as that. People will think twice before they use it just like we're all use to limiting our Reverse points as well.

Tire size, wheelbase etc. If they want it long with big tires they will pay when the courses are setup tight.
sicj is offline   Reply With Quote