Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: Mean grinding coming from the rear diff....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Mean grinding coming from the rear diff....

When I drive on flat ground with no real stress on the rear axle its fine, but as soon as I start crawling and get on it the rears tires stop moving and hear comes the grinding. I am running savge pinions, with JB welded diffs. I have taken the axle apart twice now and have found nothing. What else should I check. Also before this grinding started I used to strip wheels like no ones business, the pins would just round out the rim.
Vu14TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Mean grinding coming from the rear diff....

Have you shimmed the ring&pinion properly. here's the part# from globalhobby or hobbypeople.

148624 XTM Diff Shims 8x12 - X-Term/X-F/Mam (10 pcs) $2.25

I know with a savage pinion you have to grind down the top of the gear otherwise it will rub severely on the diff housing. I know you said you took it apart and saw nothing just wanted to mention this.

Also I'm assuming your x-factor is still nitro.

may wanna check the following also
- clutch...may be worn out
- cb/spur gear mesh, also check for wear
- tighten the grub screws on the couplers inside the axles
- check the slipper clutch to see if it's tightened
- check the brake assembly for binding
- rear universal

About all i can think of at this point. try to post this also in XTM's forum for the x-factor as you'll get alot more replies than here. here's a link.

http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...wforum.php?f=6

hope this helps
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

OK, sorry for lack of some details. I am running electric, with an emaxx tranny so I am using the maxx sliders. The savage pinion has been ground down. How do I check If it is shimmed properly? Also the I have tightened the grub screws. Thanks

Craig
Old 08-31-2004, 02:39 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

ah i c now. Hmmm, only things I can really think of is to check your rear diff....it's possible the jb weld has come loose, I've heard of this happening before so it may be a possibility here.

You said you used to round out the hexes on your wheels so I guess you could check that maybe.

With the maxx sliders I would get a creaking sound occasionally when I'm crawling. This was the plastic trying to twist whenever the wheels would get stuck or hung up in between or under a rock. Eventually they will twist and give out. I have revo shafts now and I still get the same thing. So check the shafts and yokes for signs of damage. Are you heavy on the throttle b/c I know I sure as hell am!

Hope this helps
-Chris
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:17 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ah, I know that sound . Mine turned out to be a bad spot on the ring gear. I didnt shim properly when I put my Savage pinions in and allowed the pinion to climb the ring gear. Clean and check the gear closely, as if its like mine the bad spot will be hard to pic out. I reshimed but it was too late, the same thing happened. Had to replace the ring gear. Cost me $30 at the LHS or $25 + shipping from Hobby Pepole. Good luck.
4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I think you may be onto something 4X.....I will check out the ring gear tonight. That more than likely is it. Thanks alot! :P oh and cman I'm on it all the time. GET IT!
Oops for got to ask how many shims are you using 4X and what is the proper way to shim pinion, what do I need to check for?

Craig
Old 09-01-2004, 03:52 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The proper way? You mean theres a right way to do it .

Seriously, I`m not sure on gears this small. I do it by feel, the backlash or play between the gears. the first time it felt good, nice and smooth not much play, but it didn`t work out. The second time i set them tight almost to the point of being rough when turned, so far so good. Can`t remember for sure howq many shims I used. I think I put three or so on the pinion to set it beep enough to just clear the dif case, then I shimed the diff over with I think 2 shims on the ring gear side and none on the other side. It`s been a few months since I did it.

I realy don`t think the Savage pinion and XTM ring gear mesh very well, If I do this again I may try MGT pinions. Hope this helps.
4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote