Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: Add me to the list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Add me to the list

Add me to the list of suckers for aluminum. I'm new to crawling but mangaged to throw about 3k into my Tmaxx that is way over engineered with aluminum and now too nice to put on a race track....I don't want that to happen again with this project. I need some help
I want more of a rock racer than a rock crawler. Ive read several posts asking for advice on power setups to achieve this. I don't think I read any reply that fully explained a good setup for a combo of speed and crawling. I had my eye on the AX 10 for about a month but couldnt resist the Hobby People sale. Im just now trying to decide whether or not to go brushless or not. Im going to start off with a ~144oz servo and a Spektrum DXR radio or equivilant. Any help would be appreciated.
evlwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The stock pinion is an 8t and the truck is really slow with stock gears and 55t motors. The manual doesn't show a gearing chart but looking at it the biggest pinion you're going to get in there would be about a 12t. To make it "basher" fast you're going to need some motors with some RPM.

If you're on a budget I'd go with a Castle Sidewinder and a pair of 12-15 turn brushed motors on 6-9 cells Nimh or 2-3s Lipo.

If you've got some money to play with, a pair of Sidewinders and a pair of 4600 motors on 3s would be lots of fun.

Either way you're going to need good batteries. This is a heavy truck and it's going to take a good amount of power to make it fast.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I had to run the numbers and see if my suggestion was valid or not.

8t pinion is 90.3:1
12t pinion would still be 60.2:1 gear ratio
4600 on 3s - 51,060rpm
Wheel RPM - 848
7" tall tire - 22" circumfrence
Distance covered - 18,652 in/min or .2943mi/min
OR,,,
17.66 mph
Lot of money for not going very fast.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

thanks for checking those numbers out, it gives me an option.

I think I have had a change of heart with this truck, Im going to keep it a crawler for the most part and ditch the need for speed. I have a built Tmaxx that can twist the axles apart if I need to. Heres what I ended up with... two novak crawler/55 combos and a 7.4 5000 Reedy Lipo. This truck is much heavier than I though it would be and I needs to stay a crawler. I love the way I got the 3rd ch of my DXR radio to allow me to crab crawl, thats really cool. I may look at some 35t motors and maybe a pinion change later but the speed i ended up with my current configuration isnt bad. I think it will hold my attention. Thanks
evlwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You betcha.