Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: Any Suggestions for my XTM X-Crawler Build???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Default Any Suggestions for my XTM X-Crawler Build???

Hello everyone i have been building a XTM X-Crawler its not completed yet, its the yellow box one, i have installed JR 8711 400 oz servos, what have you guys ran on your xcrawlers? here are a few pics

nasty99vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #2

Default more pics...

Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #3

I just drove mine for the first time about 30 minutes ago. Running the Rooster ESC with 55T motors it seems OK, but you really have to hook the motors up in parallel or they won't run right. It's also incredibly slow wired in series.
The summit body looks pretty good on there.
FairTax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #4

Will the 45turn motor be any better than the 55's ???
Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #5

Also the shocks on this thing suck...what other size shocks will fit on this thing other than the savage?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #6

A 45T will be a bit faster than the 55. With the 55's wired in parallel on 6 cell nimh it will move at about walking pace. Higher voltage will get it a bit faster.

As far as shocks. The longer better.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #7

but the 45turn wired paralel will work the same way right?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

There's really no need in typing with the HUGE font. We can read it all the same.

The 45t's will be a touch faster than a 55t. You can play with your gearing to if you want to try that. IMO,you'd be best off getting a good ESC that has a voltage cut off. I'd recommend the Mamba Max or Sidewinder,John at Holmes Hobbies has a great deal on either. Once you get a good ESC,turn the voltage cut off to 9 volts and put a 3 cell lipo in there. You'll wake those slow motors up.

Might get a Castle BEC as well and get the most out of your servo's.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairTax4me View Post
As far as shocks. The longer better.
On this one I don't agree. The truck already has too much articulation (almost 90°) with the stock shocks. Savage shocks are substantially longer and will alleviate the shock mount dragging problem but while allowing even more articulation. Stiffer springs, heavier shock oil and a modified lower mount are all that's needed.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #10

I feel that the stock shocks limit the articulation. I think it should be able to acheive a full 90°, possibly more if the terrain is right. Also by using longer shocks, you can use the stock upper mounts without having to extend the frame, and move the lower mounts closer to the axles which will help prevent them getting hung up.

Out of curiosity though (and since this is all kind of new to me) why would 90° of articulation be TOO much?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Too much articulation can hurt performance in various ways:
get stuck in holes vs float over them
more axle steer/swing
rear axle driving under the rig instead of driving it forward
body getting wedged between tire and chassis requiring reverse (1 point) to free it
stability issues, especially on side hills

Ultimately it's what suits YOUR driving style. Mine is slow with little wheelspeed and I prefer a stiffer, lower-profile setup. I set up my trucks to have approximately one tire height of articulation (5" on my 2.2s and 7" on my Supers)

Articulation has been discussed repeatedly and there are LOTS of great threads on it. Do a search for "articulation" and you'll find a ton of good info.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 AM   #12

Will a 4-channel E-Flight radio and reciever from a BLADE CX work for my crawler? i looked at the reciever it has 2 slots for the motors and 2 slots for the micro servo's....the micro servo's connectors are the same size of my JR 8711 servo's. ok so how would i hook up the esc to this reciever? or is it not possible? if this does not work...will the spektrum DX5 radio and reciever work? or is it the same way as the e-flight reciever???
Old 06-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #13

I have the same radio. I was planning on using an AR500 spektrum receiver with it. I have not gotten the receiver yet so I'm hoping someone can answer your question. From what I've found the e-flite radio is the same as the DX5e.
aj6502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty99vette View Post
Will a 4-channel E-Flight radio and reciever from a BLADE CX work for my crawler? i looked at the reciever it has 2 slots for the motors and 2 slots for the micro servo's....the micro servo's connectors are the same size of my JR 8711 servo's. ok so how would i hook up the esc to this reciever? or is it not possible? if this does not work...will the spektrum DX5 radio and reciever work? or is it the same way as the e-flight reciever???
Yes that is the radio i used i now use a futaba 4pk if interested i will be selling it on the for sale board it was used three times for $50.00 with reciever
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #15

ok...if i use the e-flight control what do i use for a reciever...because the one that is currently on the blade cx probally wont work by me just looking at it...so im asking will another type of reciever bind with this control...or am i just s**t out of luck? thanks everyone
Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #16

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMAR500

I have been told this one "should" work. I would like to hear from someone that have used them together and had it work.
aj6502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #17

So i got the funds up to finish this thing
ok so i ordered the Novak Rooster 45turn set up with novak hi-flow cooling fan...with extra 45turn motor thats gonna be ran in parallel.
i also gave up on the e-flight control and reciever...ill just leave it in my blade cx.
so i ordered the spektrum DX5e with skektrum reciever.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #18

Hello I just finished building mine about two weeks ago which it's for sale by the way but I did two of the Novak Goat brushless systems with separate speed controllers and I did two JR High Voltage fully aluminum cased servos 480 oz/in of torque each and the thing has scary amazing low end torque and a very high top speed you kinda need the high speed out here we have mostly sand rock and it just kinda falls apart making it very slick. I went with the same radio you ordered but i wired mine in so that you could control the speed of each axle individually with their corresponding sticks on the radio it's a little hard to figure out at first because the one stick won't automatically return to center but when you do it makes it nice for when you get in a tight spot and it also will work on the same principle as a dig system you can change it back to a single stick control with just a Y-harness

Here is hopefully a link to the servos if it works http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...D=JRPSZ9100HVT

Here is a link to Novak goat system if it works
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=NOV3019

Last edited by dieselfreakcjw; 06-16-2009 at 07:13 PM.
dieselfreakcjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #19

ok im having alot of issues. i got everything to complete this thing. and i finally got it built tonight... ok i have the Novak rooster 45turn esc an motor combo and a extra 45turn rooster motor that im running in parellle ok i got the Spektrum DX5e control and reciever. i can only get the it to go forward and 4 wheel steer going great...but no reverse. any help guys????

Last edited by nasty99vette; 06-21-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #20

well anybody?