Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: New xfactor 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New xfactor 2

Ill be getting an xfactor 2 soon (Well, maybe) and i was wondering how it performs crawling STOCK out of the box. (Well, i mean i will do some things to it.) The 24.7 seems like it'd be enough power (although its kind of not high performance im expecting?) So hopefully ill be putting an old OS .21 Off roader in there as soon as i get a new piston and sleeve.

So, heres what i expect to be doing to it...

1. Putting REVO shats on it
2. Putting an OS .21 off road in it
3. Locking the diff into first gear (sooner or later)
4. Any ideas??? hehe

Im GOING to be using this for crawling. I love my electric clod to death, but i miss the sound, smell and just all out brute force! So, how would an xfactor perform before and after the above mods are done?
PastryLikeDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #2

You dont really need to lock the first gear, it wont shift until you wind it out anyway.. Bottom line, Nitro sucks for crawling.. I was going to make a crawler out of my XF2 but i have so much fun driving it around fast, I bought a Mammoth and set that up for jumping and high speeds.. It handles way better than the XF2 , but just doesn't have the same appeal..

I have seen a few good nitro crawlers, but they are just not even close to electric, because of the torque/rpm variences..

Go for it though!

_bR3T7
clodbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

With the diffs locked it's decent in general offroad use but not good as a crawler. Tryed even with the smaller pinion I found (12 or 13, not sure now) but the gearing is still very high, the engine wants to pull high rpms each time you hit the throttle, cannot get it to steady work at low rpms. And to make things worse the clutch gets really hot and starts slipping (and smoking).
You will want to lenghten the wheelbase as well, as in stock form it's always wheeling and tumbling backward at the first climb.
It exibits a lot of torque roll, the left front wheel spends very few time on the ground...
Just my experience.
The good news is that if you get tired of the nitro powerplant, the chassis offers great rock performances converted to electric.

rockspider
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I know most people have converted their Xfactors to electric... Although, the MAIN problem seems to just be the engine? So if i was able to find a low RPM engine, and sturdier clutch, i should be, not ok but at least in the clear...?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Maybe a stupid question, but is there any way to fit something simular to a GD600 in there. I would think if you could get a crazy low crawl ratio that would help with the lack of torque/clutch slipping situation.

The biggest concern I would have with a nitro crawler would be heat. You would think that the air cooled motors would have serious overheating problems since they wouldn't really be "moving". Same concept as a air cooled quad...
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

About the GD600, i dont think so, because everything is internal, maybe you could fit it on the spur gear? not likely though...

As for the overheating question, that is the LAST of my concerns. I race 1/10 touring cars and heat is no big deal... Heck some of the guys i know that are sponsored by big companies break in their engine DURING the race, hitting 350+ degrees F.... And the engine is hella fast.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yea, but that's because your moving with your touring cars.

You ever fired one of the touring cars up and just let it sit there running for 10-20-30min.??? I can't see how a high compression engine that small wouldn't get hot while running and not moving.

Crawling would basically be thing same thing, not moving enough to cool the motor...
Old 01-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

During break in... I put the car up against a brick wall and let the tank run out...

Putting the nitro factor aside, whadda ya think?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Oh, well I was just comparing it to like a 2/4 stroke thinking "air cooled" would be the same?? I've always been told letting a quad run for extended periods of time just idling (not moving) is not good for them, which made sense. Oh well. Sounds like you have a little more experience with nitros then me

Aside from that I would say that if you can figure out a way to gear it really low, then go for it. Gotta find some way to get some instantanious torque though...
Old 01-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I found some custom made gears for it... here : http://www.1320.4t.com/

To me, a 16/54 combo sounds pretty good... hitting 3.375... Then maybe i could get a GD600 in there somewhere lol
Old 02-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspider
With the diffs locked it's decent in general offroad use but not good as a crawler. Tryed even with the smaller pinion I found (12 or 13, not sure now) but the gearing is still very high, the engine wants to pull high rpms each time you hit the throttle, cannot get it to steady work at low rpms. And to make things worse the clutch gets really hot and starts slipping (and smoking)...

...The good news is that if you get tired of the nitro powerplant, the chassis offers great rock performances converted to electric.

rockspider
A true crawler just doesn't work in nitro...not for very long or for very well anyways. Convert it to electric and use the engine in another nitro.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

it would over heat just sitting there spinning the tires while crawling....for one if you geared it low enough you would always be in the top rpms because thats where the power is in a nitro and if you are running those high rpms while barely moving you won't get enough air flow over the cooling tower to dissipate the heat properly...now if you maybe ran a cooling fan over it then you could maybe dissipate enough heat that it wouldn't over heat...but this is all depending on whether or not you can gear it down low enough to hit the proper rpm rang without going fast....trade the speed for torque so to speak...
toyota_yes_please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

i like the idea everyone says nitro crawlers suck but there are too many electrics and its gettin to easy...let see somethin challenging for a change hell full sized rigs are gas not electric stick with the challenge go nitro
scorpioncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:29 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

gas and nitro are 2 very differnt things.....a nitro doen't hit its power band till 30,000 rpms come on now....im not saying it couldn't be done but it would have to be one hell of a trany and clutch combo.....i have an xfactor id love it to be a crawler.....but the clutch just can't take it not even a sliding clutch....
toyota_yes_please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Honestly,I'd like to see a nitro combo that works. I get tired of charging batteries and all that crap. Props to ya PLD for trying. I hope it works out for ya. Seems like I remember seeing a 4 stroke RC motor around somewhere. If thats even possible,would that work any better?
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #16

what about using an LST tranny they have a high/low range. put 'er in low run an oversize cooling head..........overkill but run a cooling fan aimed at the motor???? i think if you get it geared right though the clutch won't be an issue if its not slipping
troynitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:14 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
...Props to ya PLD for trying. I hope it works out for ya. Seems like I remember seeing a 4 stroke RC motor around somewhere. If thats even possible,would that work any better?
OS makes the four strokes...and it would help some, but they vibrate worse than the two strokes and it'll be top heavy compared to electric, but go for it and post pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troynitrous
what about using an LST tranny they have a high/low range. put 'er in low run an oversize cooling head..........overkill but run a cooling fan aimed at the motor????
LST tranny has high and low gears...definitely will need cooling fan on engine head...Kyosho Dodge Ram 4x4 and Monster Beetle, and MoonEyes van all had (have? think they are discontinued) a cooling fan driven off a belt pio.inted at the engine head.

Last edited by Natedog; 02-13-2006 at 01:16 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote