Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: torque problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default torque problem

The problem:the truck goes but once the terrain gets to extreme it wont go(due to the lack of torque)

The setup:75t lathe hooked to a gd-600 with a 12 tooth pinion.This connects to the stock tranny via short maxx style driveshaft.Hooked to x-factor axles.Powered by Super Chicken.
6 cell 3600 nimh battery

I thought lathes had torque i mean its weird all seems to spin freely so im lost why it dont have torque

HELP A NEWBIE OUT

thanks

Last edited by TheRangerman0; 12-05-2006 at 07:18 PM.
TheRangerman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

what voltage are you running? If you are only running 6, bump it up to 8 or 9 cells. You will probably need a receiver pack to power your servos if you increase the voltage.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Is the tranny locked? are you running a battery, you didnt list a battery in your set up, i would say that is pretty important. without a battery it will go downhill great, but once the terrain changes it wont go!

all kidding aside...lock the slipper clutch in the tranny. make sure the motor is getting enough power. make sure your grub screws on the pinions are tight. make sure your wheels arent spinning in the tires. Make sure your not running 10" kongs.
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

oh..im not very familiar with how motors work...but check the brushes. i have had some problem with my Motor "stalling out"...i think it was dirty brushes
Old 12-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedB2
but check the brushes. i have had some problem with my Motor"stalling out"...i think it was dirty brushes
You can remove the brushes all together and the true power will be unveiled

I'm sorry,couldn't help it.

Back on topic though,a 75t should be enough to turn a crawler through the rocks without a reduction. IMHO,they are way to slow,a 55t is to slow without a geardown,but they work for some guys. 75T.....Is this a hand wound motor or did you buy it? If it's a hand wound,are you sure everythings right?

Back when I was winding my own motors,I had a few I had to rewind cuase the tiniest thing wasn't perfect and it wouldn't perform like it shoulda.

What kinda deal you got going with the tranny? The motor spins the GD then transfers through a Maxx style shaft to an Emaxx tranny? Thats the waYy I understood it anyway. Could you post a picture of your set up? That might help. Maybe theres something screwy with your drive train set up thats letting it slip
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Did you already figure your ratios vs. tire size vs. weight??

stock xfactor tranny is about 2.5:1
gd600 with 12t I think is about 3.5:1
stock xfactor axles are about 3.3:1

giving you a total of about 29:1

in order for a single lathe, even a 75t, to get reasonable torque to the wheels using that ratio, you would have to use stock tlt wheels or be running a 2-3 pound rig.

you could try to rig it to run 2 lathe's or at least add another 2:1 to the drive train somewhere.
xaruum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Is there no spur and pinion on an X factor tranny?
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:31 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am running 1 55T lathe with a GD600 and the truck goes fairly well. I am going to try a smaller pinion gear off of the GD600 but I have to get a drill bit to drill it out....
mr.maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i woulda turned down the gd600 output shaft. im running an inline planetary reduction from Rc4wd, much happier with that than the gd 600 unit