Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

View Poll Results: '49 willys pickup or '81 toyota pickup?
'49 willys 23 52.27%
'81 toy 21 47.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: '49 willys or '81 toyota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2005, 08:56 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMorrison
Here's a link for inspiration...

http://www.ec4wda.org/LIOR/Members/bob.htm
Ya, thats a nice one i've seen t on a couple sites. I like this one. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/gallery/...tumph52Willys/

Last edited by mike; 09-20-2005 at 09:10 PM.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Smog!!!!

Everyone seems to forget the most important part in building a rig, HAVING IT LICENSED! Sure the Toy would be cheaper to build, and a quick wheeler, but Mike lives in Ca and smogging that thing would be a major PITA. Yeah, I know he could do a motor swap, sounds simple right, WRONG. I've been down the road with people and Toys that need motors. 1: Finding a motor. Most likely it will need work, even if it doesn't, it won't be cheap. It might as well be fuel injected, so don't forget the computer, vacuum lines, wire harness, etc. 2: Smog Ref. These guys are not there to help you, even if they tell you that. You will spend a lot of wasted time having them look at the motor (after install) and tell you that certain stupid little things have to be certain ways. ALL, and I do mean ALL, the gauges that came with that motor from the factory have to be hooked up. Even if the truck didn't come with the gauges, its now the motor that matters, remember you changed it. 3: DMV. You are going to blow at least 10 different days trying to get all the paper work right to do a motor swap. You will go in and someone there will feed you a line of BS, then you will fill out a bunch of paper work take it back in, see someone else, and they will tell you how wrong it is. Now they will feed you a line of BS and give you a whole other set of papers to fill out. 4: Your Done! NOT!!! You will have little problems to deal with, vacuum issues, computer issues, a bunch of crap for a little bit, untell it all gets dialed in.

OR: You buy a crate motor with all the goodies. Sure it is simple, less headache, but still have to deal with the ref. and dmv and it is super expensive. Plus the smog shops are going to freak out every 2 years you go in to do the smog check.

THE WILLYS: My choice, why you ask? I hope you have read what I typed. With the Willys you can add any motor you want (or leave the one thats in it). There is no smog to deal with. It already has a good low range to start with, all it needs is a tune-up, and one ton axles. The suspension would be simple to work on and modify. It has much more meaning behind it, mainly because not everyone has one. The carb is probably a single barrell down draft, which can be used much like a throttle body, so you don't have to inject it right away. Your options with the Willys are wide open.

I'm not saying to Toy is a bad choice. If it came to a hard core rock crawler, the Toy has better starting components, but even they are limited to only 35" or 36" tires. After that, it all gets thrown out for bigger parts. Plus I would hate to bash a good Willys tub. If you get the Toy you might like it for the next 5 years (after spending 2 1/2 years of work on it), but you will hate yourself for the rest of your life for getting rid of the Willys. If you stay with the Willys, you will still own it 20 yrs. from now and love it way more than any freakin Toy.

Just my 25 cents.
Trailerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:03 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerguy
but you will hate yourself for the rest of your life for getting rid of the Willys. If you stay with the Willys, you will still own it 20 yrs. from now and love it way more than any freakin Toy.

Just my 25 cents.

Right ON!!!!!!! There are so many cars and trucks I traded off that I wish I had to day, Like the 1959 Jag , the 48 Austin of England, 48 dodge pickup, 51 merk, several 55 chevys and 57 chevy's and just a few years ago a 71 Cuda. Keep the cool bones!
RandyatBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #24
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloydman
Stick with the willys!

Not only are they sick, but who else will be wheeling a willys? Not many...so dont stay with the norm, go for the willys....
A buddy of mine wheels a Williy's Jeep,it's sitten on Scout axles,SOA,38" TSL's and powered by a HEALTHY 360. He likes to pull wheelies up town hill on the way to the mountain we ride alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyatBBY
I would keep the Willys and put Chevy running gear under it.
But then it'll look like every other Jeep you see on the trail. It's not really a Jeep anymore this way. The only way to make a Jeep worth a damn on the trail is to swap everything out except the body
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote