Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: 1:1 tire opinion needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 11:39 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

ok since your not lookin for swampers i bought my truck with eses tires on it.
http://www.fourbys.com.au/images/ms351.jpg

bad side. they only make them up to a 30"

good side. soft, good sized lugs, no noise on the road, cheap, and they last along time.

OH! and they do great smoke shows
taylor smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post

3 of my friends have had coopers and I'll have to say they are the worst tire ever made, imo. One on a 1500 chevy, one on a 53 willy's rock crawler, and one on a cj7. They were really loud, handled absolutely horrible and had absolutely no traction. All three of them had different model coopers too, so I would say the coopers in general have these problems. There new model tire that came out not too long ago might be better though, haven't had any experience with it, .....and don't really ever want too.

One of my buddy's just got some pro-comp extreme a/t's a couple of weeks ago (35's on a 1500 chevy) and they are bad azz. The tread is not quite as aggressive as a m/t but a lot more aggressive than a a/t. I think they're proly one of the best choices for a daily driver that will still see quite a bit of off roading. They are super quite on road and handle really good. Plus they have a 40k warranty, and up to 50% tread wear is a no questions asked free replacement if some thing happens (even if you slash your own tires, as the 4 wheels parts salesman told us, lol). Plus every other month pretty much 4 wheel parts does buy 3 get 1 free which makes them really cheap. The 4 wheel parts tech guys said that they have been seeing 50k + miles out of these tires even on lifted diesels, which is really impressive for such big and heavy trucks. They recommended these tires hands down to any of the other tires.

Hope that helps. That's just my experiences and my close friends, other's might have different opinions though, and that's cool.
Funny thing is that COOPER makes the ENTIRE pro comp tire line.................Just something more to think about!!
they also make the mickey thompson line as well.........my buddy makes the molds for the pro-comp tires (all sizes) and the Micky line too...........
twisted84toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 AM   #23

thanks everyone. my dad has the bfg mud terrains on his '95 f-150, but he hasn't wheeled it yet and a friend of mine has the procomp mud terrains on his xj. i think he even has a set of bfg all t's sitting behind his shed with a little less than half the tread left. since the bfg and the pro comp seem to be the 2 prefered mud terrains i'll ask the what they think and make a decision based on everyones responce and overall cost. again thanks everyone.
wheelspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:17 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

go tractor tyres!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

what about the mickey thompson mtz's? they are a good quiet street tire, very good in the snow and not too shabby in the mud. i go between them and claws on my xj and have never had issues with either one. just something to think about.
xjwalt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #26
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted84toyota View Post
Funny thing is that COOPER makes the ENTIRE pro comp tire line.................Just something more to think about!!
they also make the mickey thompson line as well.........my buddy makes the molds for the pro-comp tires (all sizes) and the Micky line too...........

That's funny. You would think that they would all perform about the same then, but they definitely don't from my experiences. Regardless of who makes them they have sucked pretty bad imo. My friend went from the coopers to the pro comp xat's and the difference was unbelievable.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #27
RCC Addict

streetability rockability durability

wet dry rock mud

good year mtrs are hard to beat

personally i run iroks but who gives a crap about the street on a 1:1

chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I have firestone Destination M/T's, they have yet to let me down. I've been running them for almost 2 years now, never once have they let me down.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjwalt666 View Post
what about the mickey thompson mtz's? they are a good quiet street tire, very good in the snow and not too shabby in the mud. i go between them and claws on my xj and have never had issues with either one. just something to think about.
MTZ's or MTX's?

I am running MTX's, and really like them, enough that when they wore out I got another set. Great for towing, snow, they're quiet, etc. I thought about the MTZ's, but didn't know anything about them, and I do more snow driving then mud driving so I didn't really need the more aggressive tread.
swhenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I have had a set of BFG MT's on my jeep for a few years. They have over 50K miles on them and they still have over half the tread left. Here is a pic of them last october:

In that pic they have about 13/32's left (they come with 19/32's of tread).

I have punctured one when I rammed it into a rock with an extremely sharp edge.

They have held up well and I'll probably buy another set.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

My dad and I have a set of Toyo Open Country's on the Blazer. I think they're about 2 yrs old and they've held up good. they're good off road also as long as its not to hard core
mudplower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

I go desert runnin and the cooper STT's have been great for me on road and off... they don't slip in the rain, but don't encounter much mud out in the desert, so can't vouch for it in that aspect...

mikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #33
RCC Addict

another bonus to the coopers, especially on a dd is that they are the lightest 35 out there that can handle the trail. rotating mass is a major issue on dd.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

have ya looked into the Pro-comp AT's (50,000 mile treadlife warrenty).
great tires .
my last set was TruXus Mt's , tough tires and quieter than BFG's MT.

I couldnt afford a set of tires every 2 years on a DD so I went back to AT's but still have some tread on the TRuXus's so I use those for hard wheeling and I dont hurt the AT's.
RockRacer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I used to have a set of 35 inch bfgoodrich tires on my 3/4 ton suburban. the tires have really good traction, but they have paper thin sidewalls. Back when i had my suburban the hardest trail i ever did was a moderate, but i ended up slicing right through the sidewalls like butter. It's still a real good deal for the money. I don't know much about the parnelli jones, but i know they're really good in the sand.

I would highly reccomend Procomp x-terrains. i have a set of 35's on my bronco and they've never let me down. they drive really smooth on the street and they are easy to balance. They also wear very well and will easily make it to 50,000 miles on the street. They are excellent in the rocks, great in the sand, and about average in the mud. i've never tried them in snow though because i live in las cruces. I think they are a great all around tire and they're worth the extra money. I'd probably buy these again. Also right now procomp is doing a buy 3 get one free deal, with 35 inch x-terrains going for about $200, so about $700 dollars for 4 mounted and balanced.
'75 Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #36
PapaGriz Yo

I've got about 15k miles on my 38 x 15.5 x 16.5 PJ's and I love them so far. My rig is a total mall crawler and sees lots of street miles. I drive it to the lake in Nebraska, Moab, and about 150 miles every other weekend during my daughter soccer seaon.
In the sand and snow they work great too.
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

You can't go wrong with BFG man, the AT's are decent all around, not so good in mud. The MT's are great for wheelin, not so good for icy streets or hard pack snow.
You can help any tire out with those problems by getting them siped, grooves cut acroos the tread, my 35" BFG MT's on 78 K5 Blazer have lasted twice as long as my buddies and they make a killer eeerrrrrhhhh sound when I tear around corners on the pavement.lol

Freakin Awesome
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #38
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
they lack a bit in heavy mud but i still haven't gotten stuck.(well high centered ,but thats not the tires fault.)
TOTALLY the tires fault ............They aren't big enough Or maybe the drivers fault.....you didn't hit it hard enough

I ran some 35" General Grabbers M/T's on my Dodge 2500 work truck/tow rig a while back and was VERY pleased with the performance on road and off. Bad weather,slick muddy job sites,rain,rutted out back roads and dry weather...they always worked well. I got about 40,000 miles out of them. Concidering they were a soft mud tire on a 9000+ pound truck and it pulls decent loads around quite a bit.....I think they held up REALLY well. Better than some others I've tried.

I'm currently running 35" Buckshots on my Dodge now that are nearly slick. They have held up well concidering I only paid $250 of all four. Gonna be tire shopping myself in the next couple weeks. I'm gonna try to get the General Grabbers again but am thinking TSL's this time.

On a trail rig.....no question......Boggers.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote