Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: 1:1 tire opinion needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #1

Default 1:1 tire opinion needed

i was looking around for tires for my pickup and i was looking at the bfg mud terrains. then i told one of my friends about them and the next thing i know everybody i know with a jeep or a truck is getting them now.(rant) if theres one thing i dislike is people that pretend to know everything about off roading but really don't and here about something and they all go get them.(end rant). so anyway i got to thinking. i remember on trucks on the crazy horse they used the parnelli jones tires so i checked them out and according to this site http://http://www.offroaders.com/tec...-dirt-grip.htm they are about the same porformance wise and a little cheaper. i was just wondering how well they would wear on teh road and if anyone has an opinion about them. i have had experiance with bfg mud terrains and pro comp mud terrains so feel free to compair them. thanks
wheelspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i had a set of parnelly jones for a year. i got em used and 50% way worn down. i spun them around corners mudded with them crawled them to. when accidently ran over a barb wire fence. and popped 3 of them :-( they still had a bout 20%. i dont think id ever buy another brand new set ever since i got swamper ssr's. (ill never go back to mud terrains)
taylor smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #3

yeah i'd love to get a set of tsl's but there going to be on a daily driver/ weekend wheeler so wear is probly the most improtant factor for me. thanks for your imput though.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Are you looking for more streetability or is this thing straight for trail use? What type of truck is it?
krawlinCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #5

its a '78 f-150 thats going to be my daily driver and occasionally it will be used on trails and light mud bogging at my friends farm
Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i've had a few sets of the bfg all T's and there decent off road quiet on road and wear pretty good I had a set of the mud terrains too and liked them traction wise but wore down pretty quick. My friend just got a nice set of Mt's real cheap and there pretty damn nice.
D-ran83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

What about Trxus STS (made by Interco)? Good looking tire, made more for street and light off-road. Basically a fancy All-T tire.

http://www.intercotire.com/site35.php
FossilJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I use bfg allT's.. cant go wrong with bfg ever.
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #9

I love my Trxus MT. All the people who have them love them in my jeep forums. Although on heavier rigs, Dodge 1500s, and up, and same with chevy and ford, some people have complained about a blowout but I have personally never heard or seen it first hand

The only downside to i think any interco is balancing, it took a crap load of weight to balance my 35s. One shop said my tires are impossible, another got it as close to perfect as possible.
xjrrrdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

my BFG m/t are the best mud tire i ever have had. street wear is incredible for me. i have em on a K5. they will probably be a 50k mile tire. i go froadin a few times a month and they do very well in all kinds of terrain. i suggest for farm froadin, dont get mall terrains.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
i suggest for farm froadin, dont get mall terrains.

Mall Terrains? You come up with that all by yourself or did you have help?

I looked at the BFG MTs ages ago. Compared the price of the BFG MTs to TSLs...TSLs were a better tire for the money and application.

Now I run BFG ATs on my street/light duty off road truck. Wife had'm on her XJ, and I had'm on the old Wrangler.

Wheelspinner, if you'll spend a large portion of time on the street and will do occasional light duty trail riding and such the BFG ATs will be fine. They worked well for me in mud/snow and on wet pavement. A MT on wet roads is a PITA at times. I'll give up a little off-road performance for better on-road manners on a daily driver.

JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i was looking into the parnelli jones as well and two shops told me not to get them. one shop had a set that a customer had on for 2 months and they were wearing terribly. they also have/had a problem with them being out of round. there was another brand of tire that was having the same issues but i can't recall the name. i myself am not a fan of bfg's yet alot of people like them. one tire i really would like to try, and it looks awesome is the kumho kl71. the only problem is i can't get them in the size i want in canada yet

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....enture+MT+KL71
tony tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #13
RCCRAWLER TEAM DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
A MT on wet roads is a PITA at times

You can not be talking about a BFG KM in the rain are you? The only thing the BFG KM is not well suited for is snow on pavement from my experince my 1500 Ram likes to hop and the truck is too light to make them bite other wise it is the best all around off road tire IMO. Over 300,000 miles on BFG's and only one flat of any kind and I posted it up here a few months ago.With that said I would not let anybody tell me what shoes to get do what makes you happy, since they make more than one set of tires you will never have the only rig with that tire .

Last edited by kris; 04-04-2007 at 10:24 PM.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

i have BFG AT'S on my daily driver that i wheel.i couldn't be more happy, they are a good all around tire.they lack a bit in heavy mud but i still haven't gotten stuck.(well high centered ,but thats not the tires fault.)

twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohocla View Post
I use bfg allT's.. cant go wrong with bfg ever.
Im with you there. I run BFG t/a on a 90 jeep pioneer, for 2+ seasons now
Nlee111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

What about the Toyo MT's....Quiet on the highway, wears great and good in the mud/sand/rocks/snow.
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #17
RCCRAWLER TEAM DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal 2500HD View Post
What about the Toyo MT's....Quiet on the highway, wears great and good in the mud/sand/rocks/snow.
Plus you can get an E rated mud tire from Toyo
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i have a set of Cooper STT on my ZJ and they work very well in deep snow and are good in the mud as well..................and for the most part they are pretty quiet....I have a friend that works at cooper and I got a set pretty cheap on his dime!! I took my boys for a quick little off-road session this last weekend and had no problems in 6"-8" of slop............I'm running the 30X9.50X15's on the jeep I would not run the STS swampers they are a crazy soft compound............here are a few pics of my ZJ nothing to brag about but it still gets beat on a little..............................

twisted84toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

go procomp m/t's. a buddy of mineruns them on his daily driver ranger and there great! hes had em for about a year and a half and they barley wore down. he can fallow my uncles bronco almost anywhere he takes it. i think the deal right now is buy 3 get one free with free shipping. comes out to be $600 with balanceing and all. that deal goes for tires in the 30's.
joehein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #20
[HOONIGAN]

I've had 3 sets of bfg mt's on 3 different rigs, great tire for off road but not the best for the street. They're on the loud side and don't have the best handling compared to other mt's.

I run the bfg at's on my f-150, and my family has proly had 4-5 sets of these on 4-5 different vehicles. By for the best tire for a daily driver that see's most of the time on the pavement but can do really well off-road too. A friend of mine runs them on his xj and he does some serious rockcrawling with them and they hang with the rest of us running mt's. They have really impressed me.

I ran the goodyear mtr's on my toyota (37's) and absolutely loved them, much better than when it had the bfg mt's. Very quite and great traction off road (especially slick rock), but they're not the best in deep mud.

Two of my buddy's had the PJ's (36's) both on 1500 chevy's, they both hated them. They got about 20k miles out of them, I wouldn't recommend them, I've never heard good things about them.

The Toyo mt's seem like a good all around tire, but they are a little more pricey. I've known some guys only getting 20k miles out of them on diesels though. But that's just what they told me.

3 of my friends have had coopers and I'll have to say they are the worst tire ever made, imo. One on a 1500 chevy, one on a 53 willy's rock crawler, and one on a cj7. They were really loud, handled absolutely horrible and had absolutely no traction. All three of them had different model coopers too, so I would say the coopers in general have these problems. There new model tire that came out not too long ago might be better though, haven't had any experience with it, .....and don't really ever want too.

One of my buddy's just got some pro-comp extreme a/t's a couple of weeks ago (35's on a 1500 chevy) and they are bad azz. The tread is not quite as aggressive as a m/t but a lot more aggressive than a a/t. I think they're proly one of the best choices for a daily driver that will still see quite a bit of off roading. They are super quite on road and handle really good. Plus they have a 40k warranty, and up to 50% tread wear is a no questions asked free replacement if some thing happens (even if you slash your own tires, as the 4 wheels parts salesman told us, lol). Plus every other month pretty much 4 wheel parts does buy 3 get 1 free which makes them really cheap. The 4 wheel parts tech guys said that they have been seeing 50k + miles out of these tires even on lifted diesels, which is really impressive for such big and heavy trucks. They recommended these tires hands down to any of the other tires.

Hope that helps. That's just my experiences and my close friends, other's might have different opinions though, and that's cool.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote