Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Looks great bud,,,,those wheels looks great
Nice weathering!
Wild trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge88 View Post
Good job on this thing man. I need a MRC real bad for my grand cherokee build. Keep it up.

Justin
Thanks man!! Yeah the MRC hooks up to the L trail chassis in no time at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk90 View Post
Wow..... this thing is cool!!! Another different samy build!!-so awsome!!
Thank you my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
eddie you need some of these!
HUGE (new?) 1.9 tires out...
HAHA, I saw that thread on scale4x4. those are huge! Would be good in the snow and deep mud!!

Ok well I got the front lowered and mounted up. I used industrail velcro for the front (only because I was out of regular) and that stuff is soooo hard to get apart!

I am painting the "soft top" with a textured flat black to see how that looks.

I cant wait to get the wheels and tires done!! Mud Thrashers reduced to 1.5 with Kawada dish wheels.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Great rig man, love the rusted wheels, not to nitpick or anything, but try rusting the back of them too.
marmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild trial View Post
Looks great bud,,,,those wheels looks great
Nice weathering!
Thanks WT. That was my first attempt at weathering. They came ok I think. I am not using them on this build though. I am going with 1.5 wheels. I just threw them on because I was sick of the red beadlock wheels.

OK so the textured paint came out ok. I laid down one coat. I let it dry 80% and then put tape over it, then ripped the tape off so it came out rough. Then I threw a few more thin coats of textured black. Looks decent. hard to tell the detail in the pics.

OK one issue is the suspension. I am using stock losi MRC shocks with TCS medium internal springs. But they sticking a lot. Like a stock tlt shock. Any suggestions on shocks?

I may add more oil but they seem like they have enough lube and still stick!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #26
Sinking with the ship

Good color choice dude. When you do the textured paint are you going to straighten up the soft top lines? Is the rust on the wheels paint or the stuff from the craft store?

Post a pic of the body so I can see the shock set up.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Good color choice dude. When you do the textured paint are you going to straighten up the soft top lines? Is the rust on the wheels paint or the stuff from the craft store?

Post a pic of the body so I can see the shock set up.
The rust is that Rustall kit. Works good. Textured paint is on and I followed the lines on the lexan shell for the "soft top". It gave the curvy lines... I guess I need to add snaps or buttons to make it look like a stretching soft top That is the way the paint is staying for now.

But I did manage to muster me up a slider. But I didnt get too far. Only one since I ran out of gas for the torch.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #28
RCC Addict

OK since I couldnt build any more sliders... and the suspension on this thing was killing me, I decide to attack!

I found a good use for the original chassis!

The L Trail chassis is a tad bit long for this body and the shock towers are just a bit off. The shocks were actually leaning outward (toward the front and rear) instead of straight up/down or slightly inward. So I made extensions to the L Trail shock mounts out of the MRC chassis. Shocks now lean inward (toward the center) just slightly.

Original shock position on the right, new position on the left.

Old position near, new position far! And now the suspension is like BUTTER... mmmm butter..

Detailed the interior a little bit...

Drove this little guy around in my garage for 15 minutes. Definitely going to be fun to wheel outside!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Swell job on the interior and sliders. Looking forward to seeing some outside shots.

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #30
Sinking with the ship

I have to find them, but I have "rivet" type stickers...they look like little button heads. I am sure cutting them out would suck though. There is always a silver sharpie marker, can just dot in some snaps. I need to get my self a rustall kit.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

some one has been a busy boy.

i think this would really benefit from some smaller rims though.
seven.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge88 View Post
Swell job on the interior and sliders. Looking forward to seeing some outside shots.

Justin
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I have to find them, but I have "rivet" type stickers...they look like little button heads. I am sure cutting them out would suck though. There is always a silver sharpie marker, can just dot in some snaps. I need to get my self a rustall kit.
Yeah I would like to see those stickers but I think you are right about cutting them out when I could just use a sharpie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven.two View Post
some one has been a busy boy.

i think this would really benefit from some smaller rims though.
Yeah a little busy you could say. I just got back today from a Bachelor party in Baltimore so I gotta get crankin on the Wrangler. This rig will sit for a bit.
Oh and I have 1.5's in the works for this one!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #33
RCC Addict

OK so I messed around a little with this one today.

I finished up the other slider. I made some wheel wells too. Needs painting but I just had to go play!

Got to play outside for a bit. This thing is like a super light weight little tank. It goes anywhere!!!

The rear looks sooo plain. I need to do something aboout that!

Driver is suited up and ready to boogie! I think Ill name him Jack. Jack Irons.

I installed my soft tinted windows, and made a rear swing out tire carrier with antenna. I also painted the sliders and I painted the wheel wells textured black.

Waiting on my 1.5 wheels and reduced MT's.

Rear wheel wells coming too!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Looks good, makes me want to get back to work on my sammi.

Are you reducing the tires or is someone else doing them, How tall do you think they will be 1.5". Cant wait to see them.
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
Looks good, makes me want to get back to work on my sammi.

Are you reducing the tires or is someone else doing them, How tall do you think they will be 1.5". Cant wait to see them.
Pantablo is doing it for me. They will probably be about the same height( maybe a bit taller) as what is on there now but with a 1.5' diameter wheel.
Driver's side window is done.

I was wheelin' through the woods today and found this old wagon wheel. Pretty bad shape but I picked it up and threw a tire on it. Ill use it as a spare until my other tires show up from the shop in Santa Monica.

Mounted up on my swing out tire carrier. Looks a lot bigger in the pics!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Pantablo is doing it for me. They will probably be about the same height( maybe a bit taller) as what is on there now but with a 1.5' diameter wheel.
I've already done a set for my blackfoot crew cab. I also have a set of the same BFG's EV has and can say that the reduced Thrashers are about 1/8"-3/16" shorter than the BFG's.

this is what mine look like with the same Kawada wheels EV has but painted black.

They're going to look sweet on there!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Wow, very nice!! Almost enough to get me back into crawlers.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #38
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
I've already done a set for my blackfoot crew cab. I also have a set of the same BFG's EV has and can say that the reduced Thrashers are about 1/8"-3/16" shorter than the BFG's.

this is what mine look like with the same Kawada wheels EV has but painted black.

They're going to look sweet on there!

i don't know how you reduce tires so clean. what am i gonna have to do to talk you into doing a set for me in the future.

oh and that's one bad ass little sammy.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Thanks pablo for the pics!!

So I worked a deal with a member on scale4x4, who made some really sweet bumpers(front and rear) for his Samurai build, for me to acquire those bumpers since his build is on hold due to... well, stuff. They should be here next week and I will put some finishing touches on them and they are going to look sweet on my Sammy.

But in the meantime since I plan on running this rig around a bit this week I had to fab up a quick front bumper for a little protection. And the lower bar actually protects the servo/servo horn.

Suspension is breaking in and it is starting to flex out pretty good. I also added some stick on weights to the chassis in the rear and up front. This thing was just way to light.

Pic of the inside of the tire carrier. I still need to secure it with some sort of a latch.

A little washing machine flex for the fine folks at home!

Bumper...

No bumper...
Old 03-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

GREAT LOOKING SUMI!!!! you should get a highlift jack and put it on the hood!
xjcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-5-scale-rigs/166436-last-samurai.html
Posted By For Type Date
SUZUKI-OFFROAD.net :: Thema anzeigen - SJ Samurai This thread Refback 10-07-2011 06:12 AM