Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: First Scale Build! (HELP)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Default First Scale Build! (HELP)

Ok I have gone from scale build to comp build and back to scale build. with no comps around me scale build just seems more fun finding details to add.

Ok here is the catch. I want to use my MRC to do it. Is the L trail the only chassis to use? What are some good choices to use for the mrc? i do not have a particular body style just looking for a good scale looking body that i can get carried away. Help me figure it out as best as possible!

Will order L Trail tomorrow if there are no other choices(have looked through quite a few builds)
YaItsGotAHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

find yourself a piece of 1/2 inch square metal tubing.
bend it to your liking and cut it straight down the middle.
thats what i did with my mrc, i also wanted a custom wheel base. thats why i made my own! its really easy to do!
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #3

Do you have a Build thread? from what i can tell with the L trail frame i can do a build with a wheel base of 8 1/4"- 9 3/4" I would love to build my frame but i am afraid that i wont be able to do it. Being my first build i wouldn't mind more "off the self" so i can have something in front of me to copy and change to my needs in my next build.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaItsGotAHemi View Post
Do you have a Build thread? from what i can tell with the L trail frame i can do a build with a wheel base of 8 1/4"- 9 3/4" I would love to build my frame but i am afraid that i wont be able to do it. Being my first build i wouldn't mind more "off the self" so i can have something in front of me to copy and change to my needs in my next build.
im gonna try to find it for you!
its really simple. just use a vise ad a jig saw. vise to make the bends you need and a jig saw to cut it in half. vise works good to hold it while you are cutting!
ill post that link up when i find it.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

alright well i thought i had more info on the frame rails i made but i didnt have any off body shots. basically i took the stock mrc frame rails and attached them to the frame rails i made.
Bi-polar rover
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
find yourself a piece of 1/2 inch square metal tubing.
bend it to your liking and cut it straight down the middle.
thats what i did with my mrc, i also wanted a custom wheel base. thats why i made my own! its really easy to do!
Thats what I did too.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #7

if i were to do a setup like yours pantablo. What driveline setup would i use? Before i know it i wont be using any of the mrc. I am just confused and i wish the search features of this site were better. or maybe a section for mrc scale builds. something i can see better on what to do with this thing.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Take a closer look. The entire thing, short of the driveshafts and t-case, is MRC. The driveshafts are traxxas half shafts with villian yokes at the MRC stuff (thats 4mm output-villian yokes are 4mm but fit the u-joint at the traxxas half shaft). The villian yokes are white/chrome, barely visible. You can do any kind of transfer case in this setup, like an axial trans or something. This one shown is no longer made.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

not to shabby pablo
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #10

ok well i figured out my scale build gonna order the tcs frame. for the lack of knowledge on mounting points and what not. and i am ordering the front half of the hilux. then build a truggy. i figure rod is cheap enough that i can order more than enough and be able to do it. what kind of tubing do people use if your going to braze it together? (no welder) and i will watch the videos on how to braze. i am very good at soldering and from what i know about brazing is it is somewhat similar. not real close but some what i guess. or maybe not at all. but i wanted to do side guards and stuff anyways so miggt as well just learn. have the color i am painting it already. looks nice in my head.

for the anti-readers...

what rod to use to braze a truggy together?
also any tips for a unexperienced brazer that can not be found in how to's and videos?
maybe a super small transfer case with 1:1 gearing.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaItsGotAHemi View Post
ok well i figured out my scale build gonna order the tcs frame. for the lack of knowledge on mounting points and what not. and i am ordering the front half of the hilux. then build a truggy. i figure rod is cheap enough that i can order more than enough and be able to do it. what kind of tubing do people use if your going to braze it together? (no welder) and i will watch the videos on how to braze. i am very good at soldering and from what i know about brazing is it is somewhat similar. not real close but some what i guess. or maybe not at all. but i wanted to do side guards and stuff anyways so miggt as well just learn. have the color i am painting it already. looks nice in my head.

for the anti-readers...

what rod to use to braze a truggy together?
also any tips for a unexperienced brazer that can not be found in how to's and videos?
maybe a super small transfer case with 1:1 gearing.
most use 3/16" brakeline (local parts stores) for more scale look and it is easy to braze together.clean it good,apply proper flux,heat it until it is almost red,apply safty silv 45 to joints for a cpl secs,remove and continue heating for a cpl secs,and solder will (run)into joints cleanly,done.
here is a short vid of me doing my ladder rack on my black HD build in 1.9 forum.

hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodsonoma View Post
most use 3/16" brakeline (local parts stores) for more scale look and it is easy to braze together.clean it good,apply proper flux,heat it until it is almost red,apply safty silv 45 to joints for a cpl secs,remove and continue heating for a cpl secs,and solder will (run)into joints cleanly,done.
here is a short vid of me doing my ladder rack on my black HD build in 1.9 forum.

so do you use regular solder for the joints?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

use saft sil 45 as the solder all around. fish eye the joints so they mate well. (ie, mitering tubes together). saft silv 45 makes it easy.

3/16 brake line, uncoated, is available at auto parts stores in various lengths. its what most use, then use 1/8" solid rod for smaller details if you're so inclined.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
use saft sil 45 as the solder all around. fish eye the joints so they mate well. (ie, mitering tubes together). saft silv 45 makes it easy.

3/16 brake line, uncoated, is available at auto parts stores in various lengths. its what most use, then use 1/8" solid rod for smaller details if you're so inclined.
wheres the best place to pick up saft silv 45? 1/8 solid rod?
i want to start fabricating my own bumpers but havent had a clue on what to get. haha.
thanks for your help!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

1/8" solid rod (steel) is available at any hardware store. They might have brake line too, slim chance though. Brake line definitely at auto parts store.
Only place I've ever found safty silv 45 and the flux for it is at a welding shop.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

A plumbing or HVAC supply house will have the 45. Don't foyer the flux for it.
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
Debunking old stereotypes

The most common brand name is "Harris Safety-Silv". It usually comes in either 45% or 56%. Most use the 45%. Don't forget to get the "Harris Stay-Silv" White paste flux.
It's very close to sweat sodering, it has the same capillary action when the joint is heated to the correct temperature.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 01-17-2011 at 10:38 PM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #18

Awesome! thanks! I am super excited now! pictures as parts start to come in!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #19

ok. So i order the chassis. Its on its way gonna try and pick up the brake line. I plane on doing a back half truggy. Like someone wanted to build a truggy but couldn't afford a full chassis. So plan on mounting the body. And either cutting the frame 1/2" from the end of the cab or just after the shock mount point. How strong will the truggy frame be if i were to cut it after the cab and not run the cage forward at all? Better to keep most the frame? Really dont want to extend roll cage towards the front of the truck. Also anyone know if an interior is possible in the hilux with the mrc tranny in the factory spot?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
Debunking old stereotypes

Thats actually what a truggy is, half truck, half buggy.

Here's a pic of mine.

Cage goes all the way to the front window. I'll post some body off pic's after work if you want?

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 01-18-2011 at 12:27 PM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote