Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 3 Hardbody 1.9's at once

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #21
Im Brandon

Narrowed up the front axle today. Didnt have much free time but I had to get something done! Rear axle tomorrow

Looks much better now beneath the JK

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post

can you explain this part a bit? I'm struggling with my jeep quad pickup and what to do with the axles. I want to narrow my TLT's but not sure about this part. Looks pretty easy. Can you elaborate on what you did to the inner axle?
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #23
Oppan Gangnam Style

Ahh... I see said the blind man as he picked up the hammer and saw.

Now I see what you were explaining to me over the phone. I'm a tard. Didn't realized you were using a cross pin. Looks good as usual!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

oh I get it now, Duh. I forgot the whole differential turns, so pinning the inner axle to the diff works in place of the splines. A-HA!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Looks awesome. I have 2 of the same bodies to build, just don't have the time at the moment. I'll be following this fo sho
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Wow and I thought I was the only one sick/addicted enough to have at least 3-5 builds going at the same time. Good stuff man good stuff.
Currently - Rubi tuber, x-trail 10, box Hilux, and a F-350 that I'm constantly f'ing with. Unfortunately I've come down with the flu, so everything has come to a halt for now. And a couple of back burner projects not to be mentioned. I'm sick man, sick, sick, sick . . .
RockMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Hey Brandon, glad to see that your the one bringing the OG FJ Truck back to life!!!
I was pretty sad to see it so abused and parted out but Im sure you'll get her back on the trail! Cant wait to see her completed!
I like the narrowed axle work, I'm actually at that point on my Uni Mog build so thanks for the idea!
I'll be watching these builds!
~John
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #28
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Ahh... I see said the blind man as he picked up the hammer and saw.

Now I see what you were explaining to me over the phone. I'm a tard. Didn't realized you were using a cross pin. Looks good as usual!
LOL yeah but my explanation was horrible last night. My head hurt from studying still. All I could think about was shear flow and Mohr's diagrams Then I tried to explain what I did with the axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
oh I get it now, Duh. I forgot the whole differential turns, so pinning the inner axle to the diff works in place of the splines. A-HA!
Glad I could help man, just take your time and make sure to get everything lined up. The hardest part is making sure the steering doesnt bind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonster View Post
Wow and I thought I was the only one sick/addicted enough to have at least 3-5 builds going at the same time. Good stuff man good stuff.
Currently - Rubi tuber, x-trail 10, box Hilux, and a F-350 that I'm constantly f'ing with. Unfortunately I've come down with the flu, so everything has come to a halt for now. And a couple of back burner projects not to be mentioned. I'm sick man, sick, sick, sick . . .
Yeah I have issues. However while I am in school I dont have much free time to build so I usually just collect parts and enjoy my summer of building

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAWLR4life View Post
Hey Brandon, glad to see that your the one bringing the OG FJ Truck back to life!!!
I was pretty sad to see it so abused and parted out but Im sure you'll get her back on the trail! Cant wait to see her completed!
I like the narrowed axle work, I'm actually at that point on my Uni Mog build so thanks for the idea!
I'll be watching these builds!
~John
Thanks John! I love this FJ, always did. I ran across it on ebay and HAD to have it. Its in bad shape but I will fix that Paint stripping will start today once I get off work.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #29
Im Brandon

Ok so I finished up with the axles and got some more of the plans straightened out.

The Black Jeep will be getting axial axles. The owner needs to be able to get parts off the shelf so thats the best thing to do for that build. I will do my best to keep it looking scale to his 1:1. Shouldnt be to hard as it has a pretty wide stance.

The JK will probably be getting the sanded down stompers unless something better is available over the summer as I work on it.

The FJ body's paint is almost stripped. Time to start sanding and fixing the flaws. The tailgate is cracked all the way through so I might just cut it all off and do some tube work with a tire carrier incorporated into it

I am also considering narrowing a set of bruiser axles that I have to use under the FJ... It would look 10X better with a nice skinny axle, especially since they are toyota style axles. More work

I think the second set of tlt's that I narrowed are going to a Harley for his JK when he gets started on it.

Just two pics, not much to share.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Ok. I understand how you narrowed the shafts and the housing, but what is gonna keep the pin in place? Is that groove for an O-ring? Thanks and I cant wait to see the FJ on the rocks again.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #31
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippirocs View Post
Ok. I understand how you narrowed the shafts and the housing, but what is gonna keep the pin in place? Is that groove for an O-ring? Thanks and I cant wait to see the FJ on the rocks again.
Exactly. However now that I got the pin in there I doubt it needs an O-Ring. They are pressed in and not going anywhere.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #32
Im Brandon

Finished my set of tlt axles and mounted the stompers. Had to take a second to see how it would look

Old 05-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #33
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post

I think the second set of tlt's that I narrowed are going to a Harley for his JK when he gets started on it.

Just two pics, not much to share.

Hopefully the axles and FJ body should be at my house tomorrow.

Thanks B!

Hopefully we have both the JK's going for Nats
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #34
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Hopefully the axles and FJ body should be at my house tomorrow.

Thanks B!

Hopefully we have both the JK's going for Nats
Yeah the invisible FJ body will be there tomorrow.. next year? Never?

Dont worry mine will be done in time. Aiming for the end of this summer. Lots of plans! I have been studying these pics for a while to replicate the suspension of the 1:1.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #35
Im Brandon

Worked on the FJ body for a while last night. Still sanding and cleaning up.

First I needed to fix the rear quarters, they are both destroyed from the tailgate being broke off somehow. So instead of replacing the tailgate I am going to cut everything out and make it an open bed Also did some rear fender work.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #36
Nor-CalRCRC

Looking good Brandon. I like how clean the bed corners look. Nice job. It's gonna be done for Sunday, right?
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

those narrowed axles are sweet they fit the jk perfect. I cant wait to see how it turns out!
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #38
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by montereycrawler View Post
Looking good Brandon. I like how clean the bed corners look. Nice job. It's gonna be done for Sunday, right?
Thanks Lance! Nope it wasnt finished but I should have at least brought the body to show ya :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocresq View Post
those narrowed axles are sweet they fit the jk perfect. I cant wait to see how it turns out!
Thanks, I cant wait either

Well I got most of the body work done on the FJ body and a coat of primer on it. A few hours of sanding and it will be ready for paint.

Also tore into a pair of bruiser axles. They are getting narrowed for the FJ. I had to use yota axles under it More pics of the bruiser axles narrowed tomorrow night once I finish the rear, but the front is done and just slightly wider than the tlt's.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

slightly wider than the narrowed TLT's or standard TLT's? I was hoping to do Bruiser axles under my jeep crew cab too. I think they're the most scale looking axle you can get. Too late for me as I already narrowed my TLT's but very interested in how you accomlish your bruiser narrowing.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Cool man, that FJ body looks nice

Are you going to piant it the stock blue?
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote