Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jesters 1 ton YJ aka the holiday build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Jesters 1 ton YJ aka the holiday build

I had some vacation to burn or I would forfeit it, so I took off a week and a half for Christmas and New Years. After Getting a great start, then the whole family getting the flu, I got back on track. Photos and story to follow:

I got this Chassis from A member here, and initially wanted to make a unimog, but it wouldn't fit the leaf spring configuration. I then decided to try to mimic my 94YJ that I had to get rid of due to starting a family. It had Dana 44's, 36" TSL's, and a ford 302. My Jeep looked like the following Photo, but if I were to have kept it It would have ended up like the scale one I'm building.

I started with this:
An integy with an FXR, a 5645(swapped to a 7954, GCM chassis with a divorced x-fer case.

For tires I have some 1.55 iroks unless something else pops up.

To start at the beginning:

Got my trusty BEC wired
Got my wheel base shortened to 11"ish
Got Irocks mounted to the 1.55 wheels.

YJ body should be here monday, I'll get some trimming done, and it mounted up, then figure out an interior, where my battery will go, and where the winch will go.

Things I need:
Winch hook.
Scale seats.
Time to make bumpers and a cage if that is the route I'm going to take.

These wheels are by far the easiest to mount up of all scale wheels I've ever done.

Here you can see the rear of the chassis:

And here you see the servo:

After some complaining on my part the front is better:

and the front with a mandatory flex shot:

Now I need to get over to Lowes and my dads to get some steel, and do some fab work.

The idea is to use the rear bumper and tire carrier to cover the leafs sticking out so far.

###################################

Back to work.

I started with the rear drive shaft. Do I get scale points for the most scale length drive shaft? Winch is just for reference.

Cut the frame to length:

and did a lot of sanding and trimming on the body.

Finished up my night by mocking up how the winch and spare tire will look in place.

JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Jesters 1 ton YJ aka the holiday build

I decided to chop the top.

I made up a firewall and wheel wheels, and as you can see I made up a spare tire carrier:

Tomorrow is a grill guard and stinger with a platform for a winch, then sliders, and then to bending the cage. I'll be relocating some of the electronics to the firewall if I can. When my seats come in I'll get the interior put in.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Managed to get my front end completed I decided on mimicking a poison spider customs "BFH" front bumper with brawler bar. I also added in a mount to hold the body on that is covered up by the winch. I'll mount the winch when I get some sort of fairlead figured out.

Next my goal is sliders...
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Sliders are on, and will be the mounting point for my cage that I'm working on today.

Got winch mounted and right away had to take it off... Need to put the body on and off to fit the cage...

Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Today was the day to go to Tinsoldiers house and finish the cage.... and we got another 4" of the white $hit, so that was canceled.

I got really stir crazy and just a little pissed off at always having to go to my dad's house to braze anything so I went to lowes and got a torch kit to braze.

Then proceded to finish off the cage. I mig'd most of the joints and finished it off with the torch. Its pretty light and very strong. I need to trim the rear most down tubes as they are not going to actually attach to anything, clean up some of the welds, and paint it. I can then start working on the interior.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I made front inner fenders, and an electronics compartment. Electronics are not quite waterproof. Still needs work in that area.

Also got the interior almost done, battery compartment is 99% complete, just need to paint it. Seats need attached with the driver and a dash made up.

She is almost complete, and is now drivable.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I finally finished it up today!!!

To close it out I need dash and 5.0 decals, hubs(replace the nut type), t-case shifter with a consol between the seats, some scale shocks that actually hold oil,(I havn't opened these ones up, but I don't think that they will), wire some lights in, and touch up the waterproofing. If anyone has anything I need, PM Me

I also made the battery compartment big enough to fit 2 1350 mah batteries, so I may run 2 in parallel to get longer run time.

And here she is with a trail load-pulpal, snatch block, sand ramp, tow strap, and for personal protection a couple of AR-15's:

Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looks good Jester...Need to finish up my Jeep...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Simple,Neat and Clean...I like it
Peli is offline   Reply With Quote

Jesters 1 ton YJ aka the holiday build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TJ Steve's Tamiya YJ to TJ 1 Ton SCX10 Build TJ Steve 1.9 Scale Rigs 54 12-25-2013 11:56 PM
The Half Ton Druggy ( jack!! ) tundra build jrocha 2.2 Scale Rigs 160 07-30-2013 11:38 AM
Budget Build Rock Buggy fast Thang TON O PICS skullking General Crawlers 6 05-25-2009 01:02 PM