Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: tow truck/ wrecker build help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

Default tow truck/ wrecker build help

first off, i'm a newb. i've soaked up a load of useful information just reading thru the forums. I bought a xtrail artr setup about 9 months ago and crawling has prob been the most fun i've had with an rc in a while. a couple months ago i took my xtrail setup, put on a zebra stripe blazer body, some 2.2 tsl's, and tried my hand at brazing bumpers, sliders, and a roof rack. i really enjoyed the fab work so now i wanna try and take it further......

i wanna try my hand building a wrecker style tow truck. i've got an scx10 frame, driveline and some 1.9 mickey t's to start with. in my head i'm picturing a tamiya 350 cab and metal work for the body. i've looked online at bunch of 1:1 rigs for ideas. i'm leaning towards a back half thats similar to this....

i have a computer case that i've scrapped for the flat sheet metal. i'm struggling for a source for the boom and light bar though. any thoughts or comments on a source for material? i hadn't really decided on a size as i don't have a clue whats out there. there's other parts of the build i've not sorted out yet (winch setup, roller at end of boom, whether to do a static boom or make it lift) but i figure i'd work on a basic shape first. end life story.
bbnate804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: tow truck/ wrecker build help

1/2" steel square tube, avalible @ lowes, homedepot, for the boom, 16 ga sheet metal for the light bar. Thats what I would do anyway.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Been watching this guy's vids for awhile.. on mute that is. Admiring the offroad wrecker style. Might help with ideas

BSF RECOVERY TEAM - YouTube
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #4

Lonley, the couple lowe's (or other small hardware store) local to me didn't have anything that small when i looked.

Meatwad, nice link. I'd seen his pics when i was looking up pics for ideas. Hadnt searched him out on youtube tho. Thats pretty much what i wanna do.

Last edited by bbnate804; 08-29-2012 at 04:32 AM.
bbnate804 is offline   Reply With Quote

tow truck/ wrecker build help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hilux WRECKER trail truck crashmurray 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 04-14-2011 10:33 AM