Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Trailfinder 2 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Trailfinder 2 build

Hello to all. I am new here and would like to share my first attempt at a R/C Scale build.

Let me begin with how I got back into R/C.

It started off with my wife and I watching YouTube videos a few months ago, as we do on a daily basis. We each have a little competive side, and are always trying to one up each other, by finding unique videos that the other has not seen. Often this has left us laughing on the verge of wetting ouselves, or trying to hold back the tears of some profound life changing moment someone has captured. And of course there are those videos where you are looking for a bucket because they are that disturbing. All of which are usually at the expence of some individual. Anyway, one night I stumbled upon a YouTube video by djmedic and his tribute to the Toyota HiLux that the BBC show Top Gear had tried to utterly destroy!!! To no avail I might add.

I started watching this beat up Toyota running around through mud and water. My first thought was why the hell would anyone drive a truck around, let alone take it out four wheeling risking life and limb. I mean this truck looked like it was a complete death trap. I am a advid off roader and have driven my share of scary rides. Then to my complete astonishment. I realized that this was not a real Toyota, but a toy!!! Ok in all seriousness, this was more than a toy. It was a superb recreation of the original. So damn realistic. It was at that moment that I had to find out more about this spectacular model.

So I searched for this kit. The Trailfinder 2 by RC4wd. I have played with R/C cars before, but nothing like this. The last serious one I had was a Monster Beetle made by Tamiya when I was fourteen, and it was just released when I bought it just to give you a idea of my age. Somehow over the years I got older and lost interest as my models grew bigger and more expensive as I entered the world of full size trucks and buggies.

But now I knew I just had to get my hands on one of these, which was not going to be a easy task to convince the wife. The reason, because over the past winter I had convinced her to drop 15k into building a trail/rock Jeep to bash around in the mountains and take to Moab in the spring. To get her to Say YES, I employed the same tactics the kids use. I continually asked and completed each question with "Just say YES". What do you know, it worked!!!

So here I am now with the finished Product. It was worth every penny.
Please leave your comments on what you think.

Last edited by DeeJay73; 08-30-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added pic
DeeJay73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Trailfinder 2 build

finally got a pic to upload
Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forum and the hobby again...sounds like my same story. OHHH if I could only have another monster beetle! I can still smell that speed control!

Nice looking truck. Spend some time on the forum looking around...you'll find a whole new world without leaving the couch...and at a scale of the 1:1 investment.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks pretty swank . Next time your out get some action shots for us as well it is a small world as you live in my town .did you get your tf2 from interior crafts and hobbies ?? They have a fair bit of stuff in there now
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodamis View Post
Looks pretty swank . Next time your out get some action shots for us as well it is a small world as you live in my town .did you get your tf2 from interior crafts and hobbies ?? They have a fair bit of stuff in there now

I will be taking it out this weekend somewhere around here to get some video and pics. just need to find a great trailing spot. I ordered my Trailfinder 2 from Great Hobbies as Interior Crafts did not have one when I went in, but I have picked up all my electronics and scale accessories there. Great bunch of guys.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I am running a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 540 27T motor matched to a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL WaterProof ESC, and 2 Hitech servos. Controlling allof this is a Spektrum DX3C 3Ch Radio and reciever.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

electronics shot[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by DeeJay73; 08-20-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sweet one day we will have to get out and go wheeling I have a few trucks I could run with that rig .the guys down at interior crafts have a scale trail they run up lac le jeune rd on timber creek road like 2 hundred feet up the road at the first creek crossing .a whole bunch of fun up there..keep an eye out in the 1.9 forum im goin to be starting a sweet 2 dr jeep build
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Sweet one day we will have to get out and go wheeling I have a few trucks I could run with that rig .the guys down at interior crafts have a scale trail they run up lac le jeune rd on timber creek road like 2 hundred feet up the road at the first creek crossing .a whole bunch of fun up there..keep an eye out in the 1.9 forum im goin to be starting a sweet 2 dr jeep build
I will keep my eyes peeled for it. And I would like it to meet up sometime to go trailing.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

That would be pretty fun . My jeep is up and posted just starting it now but wont take long to complete as I used a chassis from another build . Scalers are so much fun love em . Now you need to get the interior from rc4wd to complete the scale look.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That would be pretty fun . My jeep is up and posted just starting it now but wont take long to complete as I used a chassis from another build . Scalers are so much fun love em . Now you need to get the interior from rc4wd to complete the scale look.
I have been searching for one, and I cant seem to find it. Any suggestions? I have the smart light kit coming and I am in the process of building a cargo rack for the box.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Well the Interior rc4wd sells is the mojave body interior you can find it on there site and there was another thread in the 1.9 section hirux . That guy bought a interior off of ebay that was full done and looked incredible carpet and everything .
Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That is one nice looking truck.

I thought the interior that rc4wd sells is just the dash? Dinky rc makes vacuum formed interior that include the door panels and seat might need to modify a little to fit, if you search I'm sure you will find a build using them. And there is a Chinese company that you can sometimes find on ebay that has a really nice dash, and I think door panels but is rather expensive.

You also might look into getting the Toyota 4x4 "badges" for the exterior, one of the vendors here sells them for pretty cheap and it really finishes off the look of the exterior. IMHO.
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

"Yota" Interior Kit (Black)
it is dinky made and rc4wd is selling them now . This should fit your tf2 with very little modding
Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #15

With the dinky interior I believe you have to run a micro shift servo or relocate the standard one and make custom linkage.
raptor775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

234757C1-206F-4B58-9F32-402B6452A7CE-755-00000048418A8705_zpsa1e1f45a.mp4 Video by DionJay73 | PhotobucketTesting the lighting system.

Last edited by DeeJay73; 08-30-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Just some more pics from last night

Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Looking good , those lights are pretty bright . Did you get it all water proofed up ??
Old 08-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Looking good , those lights are pretty bright . Did you get it all water proofed up ??
She is almost done. Going to do the drivetrain tonight
Old 09-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Need to get some crawler innovations foams for my Pitbulls.

Trailfinder 2 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One more Trailfinder 2 build! Falconer298 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 2 06-11-2013 09:30 AM
Build of a Trailfinder II from the Netherlands. Jacj Akkerman RC4WD Trail Finder 2 17 12-12-2012 12:07 PM
rc4wd trailfinder build 1/10scalecrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 07-24-2011 04:25 PM
F350/Trailfinder build viperchief 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-21-2011 09:36 PM
Start of trailfinder build pavel 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 09-01-2008 11:31 AM