Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: One more Trailfinder 2 build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Default One more Trailfinder 2 build!

Well I kind of found the trailfinder a bit later than most and I have loved every min I've spent with it so far!

This is my first Scale Crawler, not new to RC, I have a pile of trucks, planes, and helicopters. Just a basic run down of what I've done so far...

Built the kit by the book, after researching a bit I discovered that a few guys wished they would have just stuck with the basic setup so I will enjoy it as is for awhile. After I bobbed the bed and it turned out nice and had fun doing it I just kept going. Chopped the bed up so it was separate from the cab, put the full back on the cab and added the drip edge around the top of the cab that was missing over the back window. For reference I took about 1/2" out of the bed, it was super simple using my table saw with an 80tooth blade. Went real slow and had nice razor sharp edges to join back together. Little bondo and some sanding and its perfect. I just wanted the rear bumper to terminate at the edge of the fender, looks pretty clean and not too short, can always get shorter if I want later. Spent some serious time cleaning up any visible seams and sliced the goofy looking lip off the bottom of the door frame and box.

Plans are to tastefully trim up the front while retaining the bumper, cut out grill and place mesh behind it, build a simulated radiator. Going to build up a plate to finish the front of the box where it meets the cab. Sand off the emblems. Should be a good time! Then I will think about an interior. Not sure on color yet but the brown primer is kind of growing on me.

Enjoy!

Falconer298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: One more Trailfinder 2 build!

Dang looking good, I have my bed bobbed as well, love the look...
I also custom four linked the rear.. Amazing how much more articulation it has...
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

Default Re: One more Trailfinder 2 build!

I will likely tinker with the suspesnsion at some point. My goal is to sort of treat it like it was a real truck I picked up and modify it along the way so I can appreciate the changes. I just had to do a few things to the body first to make it nice before I start beating it up a bit.

Mostly I just cannot wait to go on adventures with my 4 year old son. I picked up an axial wraith for him and backed the end points way off so he basically crawls everywhere. It's been great leaning tool for him to get into RC and he is doing great. I usually follow him with my comp rig but as I watched the appeal of going scale started to jump out at me. Instead of just winging my rig at anything in the way using my comp rig, with a scale rig I can make a lot of fun finding different lines and have the rush of trying not to destroy a small work of art!
Falconer298 is offline   Reply With Quote

One more Trailfinder 2 build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build of a Trailfinder II from the Netherlands. Jacj Akkerman RC4WD Trail Finder 2 17 12-12-2012 12:07 PM
rc4wd trailfinder build 1/10scalecrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 07-24-2011 04:25 PM
F350/Trailfinder build viperchief 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-21-2011 09:36 PM
trailfinder build with a super rooster, what motor? obrut Electronics 0 01-20-2009 11:00 AM
Start of trailfinder build pavel 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 09-01-2008 11:31 AM