Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The HARDKNOCKZ TTC Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Default The HARDKNOCKZ TTC Build

My local club West Coast RC Crawlers or WCRCC is having the 3rd Annual TTC August 24th West Coast RC Crawlers presents TTC #3 August 24, 2013

I've had to miss this event every year but not this year. I've an SCX based rig for years but have robbed a piece here, stole a piece there & here it sits in it's sad state.

Damn...You can LITERALLY see the dust on that thing

Not much I know but I think I can swing this build in the 3 weeks until the event.

I don't have an ACTUAL planned parts list just yet simply because of the time frame I have to work with. So to start things off, I'm going to reuse whatever parts I can from the OG SCX build. I may get a BIG order together with Vanquish soon but time will tell.

What I have so far is as follows:

Chassis
-SCX rails w/ custom tube work from boosted4lyf
Suspension
-Proline Powerstrokes
-Chaotic Crawlers links
-Hand Bros Panhards front & rear
Axles
-Axial SCX cases
-OD/UD gears
-CRB Ti axles
-VP Lockers
-Modded Wraith CVD's
-Creation Fab delrin tube front & rear
-VP Wraith C-hubs
-VP Wraith knuckles
-VP XR lockouts
Transmission
-Super Shafty AX Bombproof Trans
-MIP 6mm Ball Ends
Electronics
-Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Pro in 16t
-Holmes Hobbies BRXL
-JR 9100 Servo
-Castle 10A BEC
-Futaba 4PKS
-Servo winch also a JR 9100
Wheels & Tires
-VP OMF's
-Tires will be some cut-n-shut monstrosity to take full advantage of the 5" allowable height
Body
-Axial CF100 customized

So there ya have it. I have a stack of work to get done but believe it can happen.

I may change the above list out to include Curries along with a host of other VP bits but we'll have to see on that one & once I dominate with this rig come the 24th She'll get torn down & rebuilt right without a deadline looming.

Stay tuned for more to come...
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Default Re: The HARDKNOCKZ TTC Build

Rick at Super Shafty was generous enough to offer me a spot on his team & I cannot express how grateful I am. Rick's a GREAT guy & a true lover of all things RC & his passion shows in his products & you can feel it in his conversations. Thank you Rick for the opportunity!

So with that...Lets start with the BOMB PROOF TRANSMISSION found HERE

I had Rick send me a disassembled setup so that I could build it myself so as to see the true BEEF this thing has to offer as well as show all of you that may not know how this all goes together.

Here are the individual pieces of PURE TRANSMISSION MEAT...

We start off with the Vanquish Products AX10 Aluminum Housing. I'm sure most of you know the immaculate machining that VP puts into their product & the deep red anodizing sets it off nicely.

Next we have The Wraith "Ultimate" Plate by Super Shafty. Again...deep red color & this is by far the GNARLIEST motor plate I've seen yet it's still fairly light. Included is the assembly hardware & spacers so this will bolt right up with all new screws.

Also included in this kit is the HR Hardened Gear Set. These are nice pieces & honestly...I was surprised by the quality of the machining. The teeth feel stout & the mesh is spot on.

The Super Shafty 6mm Outputs are plain NASTY!!! These are 4130 chromoly & I can't see many if ANY instances where these things would fail. I went with a stubby & an extended based on the driveshafts that I have to work with. These also included the hardware needed so you can ditch the boogered old screws that you've been running since you bought your rig.

Rick also sent me the MIP 6mm Bore CVD Hubs so that I could bolt em directly to the HUGE outputs & run the MIP's without issue.

Also included was the Super Shafty Wraith & AX10 Beefy Top Shaft which included the actual shaft, spur spring, spring bushing, nut & both pins...1 for the top gear & the other for the spur. This is hardened drill steel & was designed so that it places the slipper a little further out on the shaft so as to clear the MIP 6mm outputs along with better accommodating the larger 5mm pinion on the Pro4.

And then there was the spur. This is the Robinson's Racing 32p Slipper Kit. Again...If you spin the gears on THIS thing...you need to get the ham outta yer fist.

Assembly was pretty straight forward. Not mentioned above...all of the bearings needed for this build were included as well.

I started with splitting the trans case halves & getting the bearings pressed into the gears. I also assembled the outputs & 52t bottom gear using a little blue Loctite. I know some like to use red Loctite here but the screw heads are so small & easy to strip, I'd rather use a touch of blue so that if the need DOES arise...I'm able to back the screws out without a hassle.

The one little hiccup I encountered is actually a sign of how tight Super Shafty kept the tolerances while machining these parts. The Beefy Top Shaft was a tiny bit too thick making the bearing placement tough. To fix this...I just chucked the shaft up in a drill & ran a grey Scotchbrite pad up & down the length of the shaft while spinning it full throttle in the drill. This doesn't remove much material since a grey Scotchbrite pad is relatively soft & not very coarse. It actually polishes the shaft a little bit, allowing the bearing to slip on easier without creating slop between the two. That being said...you could manipulate the bearings on easy enough with a little 3-in-1 oil or a light coat of grease.

I then fit the gears into the one half of the VP trans case after lightly coating the gears in marine grease.

Once that was done, I closed up the trans case & set the motor plate in place. Again...pretty straight forward. The motor plate is countersunk for the mounting hardware giving you a nice smooth surface once assembled.

I'm waiting on a few little parts to finish up the axles so until then...I'll be working on making this lid something groovy...

I have some custom tube work in mind for this & depending on Mr. Matzilla Lue's schedule in the next few weeks...I may drive down to The OC & hang with him while he works his magic.

If that doesn't come together...my neighbor Steve aka boosted4lyf is pretty handy with tubes & has offered up his services.

Stay tuned...more to come SOON!!!

J.D.

Last edited by HARDKNOCKZ; 08-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Wow. JD in the scale section.

That tranny is sick I can't believe how heavy the output gear and shafts are by themselves.
Just don't hack that body yet, I'm off tomorrow and have been stewing around with a few ideas. I got something for that body ill bring it over tomorrow. You'll dig it vato
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That's a nice pile of parts JD.. better get busy don't forget the #1 tip to Finnish the TTC. IF YOU don't take 1st place you have to leave that trans.. @ my house after the event is over.
Good luck.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I heard Steve was real handy with tubes...
Lmao.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Hey Matt! This is a SERIOUS build thread, not one of those goofy comp threads. You keep that crap outta here
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Wow that tranny looks amazing! I am in the process of building a new scx10 but didn't buy the VP casing...... Wish I did now!
Moorin90 is offline   Reply With Quote

The HARDKNOCKZ TTC Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HARDKNOCKZ Baby Mantis Build...Round #2 HARDKNOCKZ Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 61 07-10-2012 07:29 AM
My New TTC Build TXJeeper1 2.2 Scale Rigs 20 07-23-2011 08:58 PM
Need some help TTC build 1tonzuk 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 05-13-2011 11:10 AM
2.2 TTC Build TheSkunkBuster 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 09-19-2010 05:16 PM
My TTC build madhatter 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 05-24-2009 11:14 AM