Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tamiya CC01 Landfreeder build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tamiya CC01 Landfreeder build

EDIT: Can mods please move to the CC01 section? I missed that section when I started this thread, and It also wont be on 1.9s for much longer

So I started out with this box, at 10:30 pm last wendsday

By 1 pm I had a rolling tub with everything but shocks. The next morning I put the shocks together and on and painted the body, and Had this by noon

I put it together with the locked rear diff and upgraded bearings, its otherwise stock. I ran it a few times like that and it was a bit fun, had nice speed and was good on the easier trails, but the open diff up front hurt it and the tires sucked. Out came my mini floor jack to lock the front diff and put on some 1.9 ripsaws I had kicking around

Still has good speed and its alot more capable, but the tires are just too big. It rolls over super easy, so I will look into cutting these tires down a bit. Cheers all!

Last edited by epic_username; 01-15-2015 at 11:53 PM.
epic_username is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Tamiya CC01 Landfreeder build

Cut down the ripsaws, They seem to hold up but I dont trust my handywork that much :P

It still rolls easily on pavement, but that may be due to a softer tire. Ill look on rc4wd for something with a low profile. Anyways while I was testing them the screw on the servo horn loosened as well as the set screw holding the driveshaft to the rear axle, so back in to the shop for now :P
Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The cut tires look better for sure. I get a kick out of the name Landfreeder lol...looks exactly like a mid 80's Ford f 150 to me.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The Landfreeder is an 89-92 Ranger copy. My favorite body style, if you couldn't tell from my user name. Believe it or not, I have a Landfreeder bodied mud truck going together soon on SCX10 axles. Should be fun with some power, WB stretched to 11.5", and 1.9 Mud Bashers stretched over double narrowed 2.2 Rustler wheels. Gonna be a while till I can get rolling on it, too many projects as is.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Yea, the only reason I bought this kit was because it has a Ranger body, haha. I used to have a 93 I loved it but had to sell it due to lack of space, I bought this to fill the void, I even matched the paint scheme haha. Thanks on the tires, It was my first time reducing tires and while they still are round and seem to hold up, I dont trust my handywork and I will look into some new tires :P Right now they scale out to about a 35, which is about right for a lifted 2nd gen Ranger haha
Old 09-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

So I did a bit of modding. I found a mod on youtube called the "magic link". Its kinda hard for me to explain, you use an old shock and mount it to the rear shocks for more downtravel. I didnt have room for a whole shock, but I did have a couple old shocks from the aristocraft hitec dolphin I ran into a curb and destroyed, so I took the rods out of them

Drilled some holes in the tub, ran the rod through it (slightly bigger so it can angle and whatnot), put the end back on and mounted the rear shock to it

And voila, more rear flex

Cheers!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

So I picked up some Mickey Thompson scale Baja MTZs in a 1.55 rim from my LHS, and I stretched them over some 1.9s. I also put my Novak 55t motor in, I had unlocked the front diff a while before. The tires really performed nicely, and they dont rub, but I will definetly re lock the front diff.

Didnt realize the shock came loose till afyer that picture :P
Old 01-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

So I got a bag of aluminum pieces from asiatees today (My gf thought the envelope said asian teens and got mad at me for a brief second :P) Cant wait to put this together now

I got a late christmas present that was a visa gift card, so Im thinking Ill have to go order some more aluminum bits and some 1.55 rims from rc4wd :P

Tamiya CC01 Landfreeder build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya CC-01 Landfreeder Build Thread (Build Complete) TheBlueKnight Tamiya XC/CC01 29 11-24-2014 11:21 AM
Tamiya Ford Ranger CC01 (aka LandFreeder) Build johninderby Tamiya XC/CC01 13 04-04-2014 01:30 PM
The Tamiya LANDFREEDER is coming, and I'm going to tow it with my 100% BOON TRACTOR. rbgerrish Chit Chat 6 05-22-2013 08:59 PM