Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The XJ | My first build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Default The XJ | My first build

I decided to start a running build log on my first build, the XJ, to try and keep my threads down so as not to be annoying .

So, brief background; decided that with a little extra xmas money I was going to build a scale crawler, something I've been wanting to do for a while. I bought a Redcat E10 and a TCS X-trail to start.

Only original pick I have

Swapped to the new chassis

Battery tray and front support

Rigged up electronics tray

Rear support

Used pretty much everything off the E10 minus the links. Those and the support bars are made from all-thread and tubing, but I did retain the stock rod ends. The electronics are mounted via ziptie on a rigged up tray from erector set parts . This is a very budget build, and I'm using a lot of what I have laying around. most of the hardware was in my parts drawer, I only had to buy a few longer screws for the shocks and axle set up from my local hobby store.

The XJ body arrives, 1992 Jeep Cherokee from Pro-Line, along with RC4WD Tomahawk 1.9's

Did the first trim, this was my first time cutting a lexan body

A week later the wheels come in, GMade SR02's along with some GMade center caps to finish it off. Tried to do white lettering, paint didn't stick well..

Originally had horizontal posts, but I wanted support for the body, so went vertical

After looking at it for a while, I decided to re-do the electronics mounting to make it a bit cleaner, also decided to flip the tranny.

Limiting straps were added to the rear, with the long shocks from the E10, the rear axle had way too much articulation, the front is fine however. I'm assuming from shocks being mounted outside vs. inside?

Painting, now, this was my first time doing a body. As you can see, my lines are a little jagged, some black over spray got underneath the white (which actually looks kinda cool to me), and overall it's a little messy. That being said, I feel like I learned a lot from the mistakes I made, I'll know what to do better next time! So I went with a tri-tone red/white/red. The black window trim is painted outside the body and was done last. The body was further trimmed to fit the bumpers (in the mail) and fender flares I'm planning on ordering. Behold, the mighty XJ! Just kidding, but I am pretty proud so far!

Flex shot!

So that's where it sits right now. This is still a running project, lot's more to come. Just takes patience and creativity! As of now, I currently have a set of Pro-Line Ridgeline wide bumpers in the mail. I still have a lot to do and figure out to get my rig where I want it.

Last edited by JCraven_94; 01-19-2016 at 08:27 PM.
JCraven_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #2

Default Re: The XJ | My first build

So before I initially wrote this up, my front drive shaft snapped at the u-joint and now I'm looking for a replacement. Anyone have any good suggestions for a budget build? I seen some ideas about Traxxas stuff floating around as a cheap and strong option, any details on that?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Great job, especially for a first build!!!
We have all learned from our mistakes, and you haven't done anything that any of us has done in the past so don't be too hard on yourself!!!

Being a total Jeep addict(Wifey-poo and I own 6 Jeeps, an XJ, a YJ, 3 running ZJs and the deceased ZJ my wife wrecked last winter) the "XJ" in your thread title caught my eye and I had to check it out!!

Some day you might find yourself in the middle of a project like the one I have going right now....... or maybe you won't be as much of a glutton for punishment as I am....

Check my build thread out if you like:
Slow 1/10th scale aluminum ZJ body build.

Although after 34 years of R/C-ing I tend to think outside the box a little more than I should....

Keep up the good work, I'm going to keep my eye on your build!!!
Full Throttle Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

Thanks! Luckily I have some experience working with my hands and have some automotive tech under my belt from HS, so I'm not totally lost. I checked your post as well Rob, amazing work! I'd like to start getting into fab work ,maybe not that insane though! Not yet at least haha.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #5

The bumpers came in Wednesday, got em mounted up. No pics thanks to photobucket and a lack of other decent image hosting sites... I made up a little bumper mounted CB antenna to! The front bumper was mounted with modified Axial mounts, trimmed down and notched on one side. I cut small spacers out of copper tubing to keep it center and sturdy. The rear uses computer PCI covers, basically metal L-brackets. For the antenna I used some antenna tubing, 3/16" heat shrink tubing, some metal wire, and a small clamp eyelet. Pics to come when I can get them posted!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #6

Pics!

Front

Mount

Rear

Mount

The CB antenna

Body shot

It's coming along, next on the list are some Axial fender flares!

Last edited by JCraven_94; 01-22-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Awesome first build. Gotta love the old xj. You plan on doing an interior?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
xjmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #8

Not sure yet, I suppose it could be in the cards, I seen Pro-Line makes a decent interior piece that works with the body I have.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

Fenders came in today! Got em' mounted up, loving the way it looks. The fit the track width almost perfectly!

I also modified the trans plate so I could move the lower links inward to help get some better geometry. Helped with the axle steer problem a ton.

End of the week I'll be ordering some Junfac driveshafts to replace the stock ones.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #10

Any updates?
Goatman4rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #11

As of right now, the build thread is pretty much caught up to where I am now. I did trim the front body posts today, looks a heck of a lot better without them towering out of the hood. Waiting for payday to order the new driveshafts, after that the rig is pretty much ready to go. I'm sure after having it out and beating it up a bit, I'll find weaknesses and such, but other than that most of what's left is all aesthetic work. Planning on running a roof rack, maybe a light kit, scale accesories, etc. I'll keep the posts coming as I complete more work.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #12

Sorry for the leave of absence, life has been in the way haha. So since my last post the XJ has gone through a few changes. I'll list em' here and pics will follow.

Front body posts have been trimmed
Re-did the CB antenna
Added antenna on the body
New Junfac steel driveshafts
Proline roof rack
Spare tire (Gmade VR01 with matching RC4WD Tomahawk, scale accessories (fuel cans, hi-lift jack, some scale tools, all held in place via bungee)
Axles and trans have been greased
Added an exhaust tip made from some cheap wind chimes
Aluminum tow hooks to replace the stock plastic ones

Finally got the chance to take it out and putt around the yard since we had a nice weekend here in Pittsburgh!

This is one of my favorite pics

Exhaust

Nice beauty shot here

There's still lots of work to be done. I would like to do an interior, also been working on some wheel wells. Still have to get some shocks better suited to the truck. It's coming along nicely but progress has been a little slow since I've been working on getting another vehicle, my Dodge is on it's last leg. Anyways, updates will come as progress is made. Comments and suggestions are welcome!
Old 02-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Badass XJ! body looks better than the first 5 i ever did! very creative way your doing everything really enjoying this build! I use proline scaler shocks and love them but my buddy swears by the game xd on his XJ so either have my vote if that helps. Keep up the good work!
bongsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #14

Thanks! It's a real budget build so I've been fabricating what I can with what I have laying around. I think it's a lot more satisfying that way.

The XJ | My first build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM