Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1:10 Jesse Haines fab unlimited comp buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 03:20 AM   #1

Default 1:10 Jesse Haines fab unlimited comp buggy

I wanted to build something unique and found inspiration for my build when Jesse started building his new buggy. With his permission I drew out my own plans from pictures. I tried to keep it as close to 1:10 of the full size chassis as possible. I'm at 11 1/8 inches on my wheel base and the buggy is 109 inches so I'm pretty dang close. My chassis is all 3/16 solid rod. I chose to braze versus weld because I like how smooth it flows out and I didn't have to spend much time cleaning up the joints. I started a while back but figured I'd finally make a thread

I started out with a small sketch by eye and blew it up to scale and then started changing my rough sketch into a more accurate version until my top view and side were the same

Keeping to scale I went with treps for the closest to the creepy crawlers and used gearhead rings to dress up some 8 holes I had. I swapped to stainless hardware and added another round of bolts to change it up a little more.

The floor pan is large enough I could've used a wraith skid but didn't like the fixed geometry and the scx skid would have been just as much work to mount so I opted to build the link and trans mount into the frame.

I saw a sweet steering setup in a moon buggy build here and wanted to try it in my build so I could do a cms to keep the axle clean and with the limited space up front this worked out great. This was my first mock up of it and has been reworked since. I used 1/4 tube and drilled 13/64 for 10/32 all thread I used to mock with. It functions awesome but after a little use the threads are all smashed so it has some slop so I'm going to switch it out for 3/16 solid now that I know how I need to have it clocked. I get full lock both ways on my narrow XR mod.
hillbillybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2016, 03:51 AM   #2

Default Re: 1:10 Jesse Haines fab unlimited comp buggy

I built my own truss for the axle to get the panhard long enough to match the drag link. I was rather shocked that I was able to get it setup without having to rework everything and I have zero bump steer. All my links are all-thread right now but once I'm all done dialing it in I will go back and remake them all in 3/16 solid stainless rod and thread the ends to 10/32. At this point I was still playing with springs trying to get just a touch off full bump. As of now I am running full droop not a fan of not having any cushion for trailing.

I did a ton homework on geometry and this is what I came up for the rear. Good separation, lowers are horizontal and maybe a touch inverted at full bump. Uppers are 75-80% of the lowers. I would be interested to plug my info into a 4 link calculator and see what it comes up with.
Close to ride height

And this is right at full droop.

5 inches of flex for an 11 in wheelbase rig seems pretty decent to me
Old 05-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #3

At this point in the build I was getting tired of working on it, being so close and not being able to run it so I cut out some panels real quick and threw some electronics in it. I really need to find a FXR for it because my BRXL is huge in this. I'm using a 1300 3s smashed between the trans and cage for now with a decased reciever.

It's been a bit since I've had the time to work on it but doesn't mean I haven't been on the lookout for parts. My plan is to run a chest up interior like a yeti or something similar. I built the buggy with parts I had. From the beginning I wasn't a fan of how tall the spur gear is on the scx trans. It was going to be a big problem with my interior plans so I started looking for a rc4wd R2.

I finally found one locally and not only was it a R2 but it's a dig trans. So now I get to re-do the plate in the bottom of the floor and also see if I can find room to mount a mini servo to shift the dig. I like that it has the ability to brake the rear end and not just free spool like most digs.

And beings that the 1:1 has rear steer I am seriously thinking about putting the aluminum chubs and knuckles I took off the front when I did the XR mod and throwing them on the back. I'm glad I have a Futaba 4 PL and will be able to control both my aux channels just the way I need.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:21 AM   #4

And once I tear it back down to a bare chassis I'm going to be adding a bunch of tabs or nuts (haven't decided yet) to mount the panels to. I will probably be making them out of some stainless sheet and having a wrap made to match the 1:1 buggy.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

Man I love this buggy! And the steering is awesome as well! Nice job
Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:28 AM   #6

Thanks man! I have had a blast trying to keep it scale and making stuff fit. The chassis is tiny! I've run 2 scale comps with it now and it is so much fun blasting through class 3 with it. The gates are typically setup to challenge the big rigs like wraiths. And I come through with tons of room! I can't wait to get the news trans in so I can have dig. Should make a huge difference.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:31 AM   #7

A local guy CNC'ed some spools. I love the laser etching. It's too bad they get covered up.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:33 AM   #8

And I seriously need to get my dremel out and open the tread on these tires. They plug up so easy!
Old 09-27-2018, 12:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Why no one replied on this awesome thread? Nice work. It's been 2 years since the last update. Do you still have it?
cooper_xl is offline   Reply With Quote

1:10 Jesse Haines fab unlimited comp buggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Class-3 W.E. Rock Unlimited Buggy build kona_joe 2.2 Scale Rigs 12 12-06-2015 09:05 PM
Jesse Haines Willies Buggy damohick 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 11-29-2014 04:10 PM
2010 Disturbed fab buggy.....by wicked fab works blakeski 2.2 Scale Rigs 32 12-04-2010 05:46 PM
Sand Rail/ SCORE unlimited buggy build!!! skidooguymxz550 Non Crawler RC's 24 11-26-2007 05:20 PM
ORCRC Unlimited class TLT buggy rbgerrish Tamiya TLT Crawlers 16 02-07-2005 04:53 AM