Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Vanquish Currie F9? Vanquish Jockrocks? SSD Diamond Axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Vanquish Currie F9? Vanquish Jockrocks? SSD Diamond Axles?

Looking to skip the stock Scx10 axles and want some aftermarket axles on my ground up build. I can't decide between these three Vanquish F9's, Rockjocks, or SSD Diamond Axles. I've never ran any of them so please give me your inputs and experience. And what gears your running what are your set ups.
701scaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Vanquish Currie F9? Vanquish Jockrocks? SSD Diamond Axles?

You determined to have aluminum axles? They're heavy.

Ill go with option D. SSD D60's.

Axial HD gears are always a good bet. Stock ratio front and underdrive rears. Or if you don't want split ratios just underdrive rears. The mesh works out well for tons of abuse.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

No I haven't determined I'm just weighing my options and seeing what works best and what people like. I'll check that set up out
Old 01-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701scaler View Post
No I haven't determined I'm just weighing my options and seeing what works best and what people like. I'll check that set up out
I just ran aluminum axles for years and after watching a few local trucks pull lines I can't with plastic axles and plastic cages (like a stock wraith) I've had all of my rigs on a diet. So much so that I'll refuse to buy any more aluminum axles. It's just not worth the weight. There's plenty of people out there running plastic housings with no real problems once lockouts, chubs and knuckles are replaced.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Can you run all vanquish parts? Vvds, chubs, knuckles, etc?
Have you tried the brass tubes?

Last edited by 701scaler; 01-03-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Can you run all vanquish parts? Vvds, chubs, knuckles, etc?
Have you tried the brass tubes?
Yes, and yes, using brass tubes in the front of my current build.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Can you put them in the rear?
Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Can you put them in the rear?
Yes, however I'm running steel tubes in the rear for a forward weight bias.

Now, keep in mind I'm the only one to reply to this. However, "crawlers" typically do better on the trails with a forward bias. You'll have to play a bit with your setup to figure out what works best for you in your conditions. The only person that can vouch for your specific conditions is someone else close to you that runs scalers consistently.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Ok thanks for all your input
Old 01-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have the stock plastic, scx10 rockjock, wraith ssd diamond,

The rockjock are almost 3 years old and I've never had a problem with them and I beat them,

The ssd diamond i haven't ran yet but like the looks and they feel good.

Aluminum does get hung alittle more but I think it's worth the strenght and looks.
Attached Images

Teasley4Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks love the look of the diamonds
Old 01-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I would have to agree with drewhammer, I like the plastic better. For weight, it's slicker and doesn't look quite as hashed up after a few outings. The setup that I prefer is a narrowed wraith axle in the front and a ssd d60 in the rear. The reason being is you can offset your front pumpkin to whatever side and you can make it whatever width you prefer. The only downfall is it takes a little bit more time and effort versus just buying a housing, but I think the end result is worth it. This is the front axle on my buggy.
Attached Images

Rock solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

CFM and other vendors on here can narrow AR60 axles or pretty much do whatever else custom you want. This will save tons of effort at the expense of cost but sometimes this is worth it.

After being in this "scene" and 1:1 race cars for over a decade I can say one thing. Weight is weight. Regardless of where it winds up, with only one exception. If it's close to the "center of rotation" where the entire rig will want to move (roll in any axis) it doesn't matter as much.

But, heavy rigs require stronger parts, and better electronics, that require stronger parts, and better electronics. It's a viscous cycle that can consume tons of funds.

Also, as a note, under 10lbs with aluminum axles seems to pretty well be a miracle, or an extremely talented chassis builder.

*edit*

Wanted to throw in a couple examples. I ran my wraith on a Mamba Max Pro and Pro 4 for the life of the rig until I decided to build a setup with a custom chassis and VP Curries. Within 10 minutes of its first run I popped the MMP after ignoring several signs such as the cooling fan turning on almost immediately.

My almost box stock SCX10 runs a Chinese "flash racing" sensored setup that's as cool as the other side of the pillow and costs almost nothing. I know that if I throw more aluminum at it, it'll need more grunt to keep the electronics happy.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 01-04-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #14
RCC Addict

i have experience running stock, vanquish and the ssd plastic housings. Of the 3, i prefer the stock plastic and the ssd plastic housings. I have a 1.9 rig with narrowed to xr width vanquish alu housings by cfm and while they are a badass setup they are way too heavy and hangup easier then the plastic housings do. My other main rig has ssd housings and performs better and is ligther even though its a steel tube chassis. As for strength, i have broken a stock housing but it was probably 7 years old and i shaved the bottoms down. I shave all my plastic housings so they slide better over rocks. I run all my trucks hard and roll them constantly putiting them in precarious positions. In my humble opinion, alu axle housings are a item 99% of us are not going to need. Its just for looks most of the time
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
i have experience running stock, vanquish and the ssd plastic housings. Of the 3, i prefer the stock plastic and the ssd plastic housings. I have a 1.9 rig with narrowed to xr width vanquish alu housings by cfm and while they are a badass setup they are way too heavy and hangup easier then the plastic housings do. My other main rig has ssd housings and performs better and is ligther even though its a steel tube chassis. As for strength, i have broken a stock housing but it was probably 7 years old and i shaved the bottoms down. I shave all my plastic housings so they slide better over rocks. I run all my trucks hard and roll them constantly putiting them in precarious positions. In my humble opinion, alu axle housings are a item 99% of us are not going to need. Its just for looks most of the time
Honestly first time I have ever read of someone physically breaking the housing. Even at that you had modded it.

OP, I think you're going to find something interesting in here. Those that are interested in pure performance and those that prefer appearances.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 01-04-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
Honestly first time I have ever read of someone physically breaking the housing. Even at that you had modded it.

OP, I think you're going to find something interesting in here. Those that are interested in pure performance and those that prefer appearances.
It broke off at the end of the C. Truck took a large tumble cartwheeling down a rock hill about 25'. The housing survived years of abuse was definitely tired and i didnt have beef tubes in. $12 for a new housing and $30 to replace the bent axial cvd and it was gtg.
Ive had one outing on the ssd housings so far and i rolled the truck down the hill a few times, even fell off a 5' ledge with no issues, and the weather was below freezing. Those housings got a shave as well. I hope they work as well as the stock scx ones since i REALLY like the look of them
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Vanquish Currie F9? Vanquish Jockrocks? SSD Diamond Axles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Currie F9? Rockjocks? SSD Diamond Axles? 701scaler Axial SCX-10 24 04-02-2016 08:13 AM
Vanquish Currie Axles? DirtyChevy45 Mega/Monster Trucks 7 09-11-2015 11:54 AM
Vanquish currie complete axles.... Coolinthewoods General Crawlers 5 11-09-2013 10:11 AM