Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 2.2 guy goes 1.9. A class-2 F350 named Warlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2.2 guy goes 1.9. A class-2 F350 named Warlock

No need to deny it. I am a 2.2 man….
Yet, after visiting some bigger scale events like the Superscale event in Dortmund (Germany) and some European G6 events where i saw all those awesome 1.9 rigs do work, it started itching….
As i have many rigs. But no real 1.9 based one.
So it was kind of a shock for my Youtube and Rc dedicated FB page followers to learn that i was going to build a true Class 2 scaler based on a SCx10 chassis and a Tamiya Ford F350 Hardbody.

I had a Gmade R1 which i really had no connection or emotional binding with. So when i had the option to trade it for a a brand new SCX10 Dingo kit, i immediately said yes… The box was still sealed!
My sponsor Asiatees started sending the first items needed, yet i am taking it slow on this one.
First i needed inspiration. Those who know me, know i need a projectname. Without a name i do nothing.
Inspiration had gone for quite some time and the box with parts stood on the table. Untouched….
Then one day, as i was looking through some old drawings that i made when i was younger, inspiration came to me.
As a kid i used to do some modelbuilding. Planes, cars… You know the ones. It happens to be so that i once build a MPC kit of a Dodge Stepside pick-up truck, named: Warlock.

This rig actually existed for real back in the days.

I used to make a lot of drawings as a teenager, as i really loved the logo and style of this Pick-up. I even kept the original logo all those years.

So, as a tribute to my youth and the fact that i kept the drawings and logo all those years, i decided to name the project: Warlock.
True, this is a Dodge and i am going to build a Ford. But i take the creative freedom to do whatever the hell i want to do .

That also i why i started to make a hoodscoop. Just because i love those things and they look cool... I used the lid of an old Axial controller for this. Recycling stuff .

At First i had the crazy idea to have to body sprayed by a professional company in Candy Apple red. However, to be honost… my bloodpressure jumped to dangerous levels when i heard the price.
So i did stick to spraycans for cars using metallic silver as a basecoat, then Cherryred and metallic Black (“magicblack” for Seat cars) for the lower parts.

The bed stayed silver metallic. I already see too many black beds.

I also started to digitalize the old logo in Photoshop to have it made as a decal and spending literally a few hours searching through the 2500 fonts on my Pc to find one to fit the Warlock name. Turned out that “Charlemagne Std Bold” looked best imo.

I know this nice woman who always makes my decals. She did a great job here also.

2B continued!
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 2.2 guy goes 1.9. A class-2 F350 named Warlock

So, where was i?
Ah yes...
I had ordered the original Tamiya parts for bumpers, grille and stuff. But i hate the chrome. People said to use ovencleaner to remove the chrome. I guess ovencleaner is not what it used to be. All to green and ecofriendly stuff. Anyway, i had a hard time getting all the chrome removed of the bumper, grille and rollcage.
After removing i took a fresh exacto knife to open up some of the sections in the grille to glue some nice mesh behind it later. First it sprayed the grill flat black after primer.

For the bumpers i used another metallic black as i used on the body. Did so on purpose...

Time to get creative!
Working on the interior which i picked up on Ebay. Painted it in a basic way, glued on a steering wheel.
I didn't wan't just some driver... No no... The Warlock needs someone special. Who less then the Fonz as the designated driver? I am going to use a microservo to make his head move/turn.

On a Tsjcechien (no idea how it's spelled in English) website i found the rubber mirrors, fenders and snorkel. Came pretty cheap.

I have this soft spot for oldskool American pickups and smokestacks. As i had some stainless steel tubing around, i decided to make my own smokestacks. People already said i need to install a smokemachine. Well no.. As they all have that fake white smoke. As soon as somebody knows how to make the smoke black, i'll do it!
For the heatsshield deflector i used some old solid mesh that came from an old computer fan.
To be honost, i am pretty pround of how i installed the smokestacks. They will not move!

I also did bend some aluminum tubing to make siderails on the bed and installed towinghooks in the bed for scalelooks and functionality.

2b continued again
Old 11-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Any more progress? looking good man
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:37 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkattack99 View Post
Any more progress? looking good man
Thank you sir... As there were no responses, i did not continue the story. Guessed people didn't find it interesting lol.....

But a lot has been done in the last weeks.
As i was waiting for parts to arrive i got bored. Building/creating stuff to me, is part of a therapy. I am in the middle of a mental depression. So building helps my mindset.
That's where i also thought of building a trailer, specific for this Warlock build.
So i ordered the Team Raffee trailer chassis with my sponsor A'tees.
I also wanted to make this an exercise on working with styrene.

Nice quality. Even if i immediatly decided not to use the tires and wheels that came with it. I still had the Ripsaw's from that Dingo kit.
For those i asked some nice team Raffee Beadlocks at A'tees.

I had a design in mind for the trailer. Or sort of....
I also removed 2 of the leafsprings as the suspension was way too stiff. The trailer would bounce all over the place.

Giving the trailer my personal Rc-name

As i was in this creative mood, but also a bit rebellious. I decided to make something dedicated to my former mother in law.

The total construction:

Invisible to see, but on the floor of the trailer is 360 grams (13 Oz) of lead to make the trailer react more natural in the terrain. Less bouncing, but more with a smooth suspension action.

My appologies that some pics are upside down.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yeah i know the feeling on that. i have a few threads like that.

Nice, Love the coffin, lol.......keep up the great work man.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Bravo. Cool trailer!
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Awesome!
Great work on the trailer, it turned out really well!
The coffin is hilarious, definitely a unique touch! XD

I WOULD paint the inside of the bed black, but that is just me
sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

just saw the video of it running looks sweet man

Tags
class2, f350, hardbody, scale, warlock

2.2 guy goes 1.9. A class-2 F350 named Warlock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
#BRODOZER - Class 3 F350 - Diesel brothers rock buggy Replica dna4engr 2.2 Scale Rigs 150 05-01-2023 04:52 AM
1979 Dodge Warlock build Zac_F71 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 08-03-2015 05:37 PM
Class 8 F350 lonleycreeper Tamiya XC/CC01 8 05-21-2014 09:19 PM
bmuzz1's 2013 Class 1 F350 MRC on Leaf Springs bmuzz1 1.5 Scale Rigs 58 04-30-2013 05:24 PM