Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: X-rated Jk build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default X-rated Jk build

This is my jk build. As soon as I saw these bodies, I knew I had to have one. I am using some ax10 axles that I had, and was going to try and build it as cheap as possible but I kinda got into it and I love it now, so it's getting a little bit of extra stuff. Not to fancy tho! My plan is to drive the crap out of it. I want it to perform well. Hopefully.

I am still waiting on some stuff, but here's what I've got so far.
China jk 2 door body
Ebay cheap metal frame.
I'm just going to build it up from there.
Attached Images

Last edited by slam49; 08-20-2017 at 12:53 AM.
slam49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #2

Default Re: X-rated Jk build

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Dale_Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I started building a truss/4 - link mount for the rear.
Then I decided on a wheelbase length, so I could make some links. Made the lowers out of 3/16 stainless bar stock. Just ran a 10-24 die right over it, and used the traxxas revo ends.
For the uppers I used aluminum tubing, ran a tap in the end of it for the 3mm set screw. Hopefully these are strong enough, I'm not sure about it. The tubing was .049" wall then I had to run a drill bit in there to open it up some for the tap. I'm not sure how much I took out, probably .010". Thinking about possibly using solid aluminum rod with the revo ends for the uppers, instead of the tubing. We'll see.
Attached Images

Last edited by slam49; 07-14-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

My driver showed up. Haha! I was excited to show. Most of these trucks you see macho men in them. I wanted a babe driving mine.

This is where the name of the Jeep came from.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Made a couple tabs for the upper control arms and brazed them to the frame. Finished the front links today.
This is my first scaler truck, and man, I don't know how you guys fit all this cap in there!

I'm on to the front suspension, namely the track bar. Where the heck is there room for that damn thing! Crazy. The truck is gonna be Jacked up so high just to get a track bar under it. Track bar, panhard, what ever you wanna call it.

I may end up notching the frame to give some space, I'm not sure yet. Trying to come up with a plan. I also have some high steer knuckles, and I dont see any way for the tierod to clear the frame either. I don't have those installed yet tho. That's the next project I think, getting track bar and steering setup and maybe a front half of the frame haha!
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2017, 01:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam49 View Post
Made a couple tabs for the upper control arms and brazed them to the frame. Finished the front links today.
This is my first scaler truck, and man, I don't know how you guys fit all this cap in there!

I'm on to the front suspension, namely the track bar. Where the heck is there room for that damn thing! Crazy. The truck is gonna be Jacked up so high just to get a track bar under it. Track bar, panhard, what ever you wanna call it.

I may end up notching the frame to give some space, I'm not sure yet. Trying to come up with a plan. I also have some high steer knuckles, and I dont see any way for the tierod to clear the frame either. I don't have those installed yet tho. That's the next project I think, getting track bar and steering setup and maybe a front half of the frame haha!
Your build is sick! I lining your style and"real"custom work.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

thanks, there are a lot of great builds on here to pull idea from!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
thanks, there are a lot of great builds on here to pull idea from!
I just recently got back into rc since about 20 years ago, things have changed a lot. I'm collecting ideas to build my own custom builds. I have done some custom parts already with my 3d printer but i like working With metals better. Trying to design parts that i can use to cast in aluminum. I'll post as soon add i can get the r&d completed.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
My driver showed up. Haha! I was excited to show. Most of these trucks you see macho men in them. I wanted a babe driving mine.

This is where the name of the Jeep came from.
Where did you get that? It's awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Riddler6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

ebay from china. i was searching for 1/10 scale figures, trying to come up with something different. i ran across this one, and several others, they call beach babes i think it was. there are quite a few different girls to pick from. she was the ****tiest looking one haha. i have another one comming that is a little more conservative.

they are made of pvc, so pretty stiff! i was able yo get one leg straighened out a little bit by dunking it in boiling water. I still have some work to do on that project though. i'm not sure if i am talented enough with that kind of material to make it do what i want.

it would be awesome if they made them soft and squishy! they are the right size tho. get on ebay and search 1/10 beach babes, you'll probably find them.

some of them are expensive, but if you look you can get the same ones cheap. I saw this same doll for over a hundred bux, but i paid like 12 or 15 i think. got here pretty quick too!

Last edited by slam49; 07-16-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Beach Queens*, not babes
Old 07-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Made some track bar brackets for the frame side. Gonna wait to weld them on, until I get some steering parts. Wanna make sure everything is working together before I get to crazy.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I witled down the track bar brackets some more and bent up a track bar. Just got it tacked on and my oxygen regulator decided to give up. I guess no more brazing for me until I figure that problem out.

Looks like it has plenty of flex! More than I can use for sure! I was able to keep it fairly low as well. Lower than I though I was going to be able to anyway.

Pics, everybody likes those
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I got some inner and outer knuckles and axles from alientac, these are Gds racing parts.

Just want to say that these are a NO GO! They don't even fit together. You physically can't even bolt them together! They claim that these universals are for the scx10.1, but they clearly do not fit in the space, as they are to wide by at least .085" or more.. just for giggles, I took the axle out and tried to bolt together the knuckles, and those won't even bolt together. The inner bearing sticks out of the bearing pocket, and hits the inner c hub before the bolts can line up. You can force it together, but the kuckle won't turn because it's all bound up.

The parts look real nice... I may keep the knuckles and just clearance the c hub for the bearing. But these axles have to go back.

Anybody looking at these, pass them up. They suck

I will say that they did come with bushings, and they fit super tight. That is a major plus. I bought some ssd Knucks for another rig and they are sloppy as hell. Was dissapointed about that. That's probably why I'll keep these knuckles and grind on them to make them work.
Attached Images

Last edited by slam49; 08-20-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Got the steering hooked up. Made a servo bracket to weld in between the frame rails. You can see I sort of modeled it after the stock servo plate that is normally attached to the front diff. Cut it out with a cutoff wheel on a grinder and touched it up with a file. It's not the prettiest looking thing but I believe it will function. I predict that I will be breaking the rod end at the servo from time to time. It really will not flex as far as it should, but we'll see. Hopefully the shocks hit full extension as the rod end is nearing it's limit. It'll be close.

Maybe, motor Trans and transfer case, next!
Attached Images

Last edited by slam49; 07-20-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Sitting on the bump stops. This is how it will sit, wheelbase wise. I'm going to try and set the shocks up so it has quite a bit of droop. Maybe 50/50. I don't know if that's achievable.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Definitely achieved with the weight of the body and other goodies on the chassis etc. You could get away with a medium mini t spring to get mid range squat at ride height. Just a guess...
MUF DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Can you put a pillow under the driver so she can see better over the hood?

(at least that's the story I'm sticking with... )
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

She has bad posture, ok. She can't help it. If she keeps it up, I might have to throw her butt in the back seat.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Still picking at it. Little by little. Motor mounts are done. Happy that's over with. I've still got to figure out a way to mount the transfer case. I'll brainstorm on that for a while. T-case is a gcm with the overdrive front output, Super cool, had to have it!
Attached Images

X-rated Jk build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trail rated 3 hillbilly76 Scale Videos! 0 04-04-2015 10:59 AM
Trail rated 2 hillbilly76 Scale Videos! 0 01-30-2015 01:59 AM
Trail Rated CJ's Honcho Build Trail Rated CJ Axial SCX-10 34 08-16-2011 03:28 PM
You have already rated this thread C*H*U*D Comments, Suggestions, and Help 5 08-25-2010 04:15 PM
***NWS***, 35%, 18+, NA-17, Rated R... raytard Videos! 15 05-25-2007 09:26 PM