Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: OS's Junkyard NB JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default OS's Junkyard NB JK

All the cool guys are building China Jeeps now with fancy Skeleton chassis but I'm still stuck back in the New Bright era... I've had a poorly painted but nicely flared NB JK I picked up from a member here on the shelf for years now, and since I'm looking for ways to keep occupied until my Achilles tendon re-attaches itself, figured it was time to get busy.

As mentioned in my Junkyard 2.2 build, I have a pile of parts here from some previous rigs, but very little funds, so this is another "use what I got" build. Good thing I've got a lot crap around here. Expect a lot of mismatched parts and some poorly machined add-ons since I used most of the good stuff on the 2.2.

Truth is, I did have some cash in the RC happy fund, and I was looking at a few chassis to stuff under the NB body. GCM, Toyzuki, and an MST CFX-W were all on the list. In the end, I just used a leftover Axial chassis I had and picked up the SSD transmission. Figured it put the motor up front where I wanted it and saved a bit of coin over the other choices. Plus, I just thought it looked cool and I wanted one. Disassembled and re-greased with R&T and bolted to a cheap-o 35t motor. Figured for $9 I couldn't go wrong and it's an open endbell instead of a closed can like my standard cheap-o motor from RC4WD.

I had to go CMS, and in a fever of overexcitement I bought the wrong one from SSD - it looks great (in the package anyway), but didn't fit since the servo has to go crossways on the chassis. I debated trying to customize the right kit for my axles but in the end I decided to piece it all together. I picked up some v2 shock mounts for the panhard mount and a VP bumper mount for the servo. Having officially exhausted my happy fund, the rest has to come from my parts pile. Found a Rampage JK bumper in my bumper box and started putting parts together

Test fitting the body - works really well with the transmission. just had to trim a slight amount away from the trans tunnel - won't even see it from the interior as it was all behind the dash. I found some body posts (in the body post box..I have all kids of mystery boxes around the shop) and just used the stock mounts to attach the body. Not very scale, I know, but I'm old school and I prefer body clips. Plus, it was fast and easy.

Temporary mount in the hatch area..Just for mocking up, I'll make some more sturdy but still old fashioned ugly body posts later.

Got the front axle hung with some red tubes, a turnbuckle, and a prayer or two. Not only am I stuck in the New Bright era, but I still rock big pumpkins. Which is handy around halloween, but other times, not so much. While I'm rocking these old pumpkins, you'll notice they are attached to an equally low rated Integy axle housing. I must have gotten lucky as mine has been trouble free with good tolerances. I don't like the silver for sure though...might give them a coat of black, not sure yet. Stuffed with OD gears, HR locker and STRC goodies at each end. Very solid, if not pretty axle setup.

I will say these axles do not play nice with the V2 style panhard. Note the bend needed just to clear said pumpkin. I managed to get it semi-working, though I still have some bump steer issues to work out. I had a set of Boom racing complete AR44 axles in my cart, but just couldn't pull the trigger - an incredible feat of self restraint. Would have solved a lot of problems with clearance and what not, but created some new ones (like paying the non RC bills on time...) They will be a future upgrade...for now, I'll live with the spaghetti linkages and big axles and keep the budget in check. Note - I used the thinnest links I could make up front for a reason. First off I needed the clearance, and second I think the standard diameter links look a bit out of scale. (Body clips I can live with apparently, but fat links - no way! Go figure)

And that's as far as I got. More to come

PS: If you are reading this and I bought this body off you, I was just kidding about the bad paint job...it's great. Really!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OS's Junkyard NB JK

I love the new bright body myself. Only downside to it imo is the flares.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

That is a cool trans!

Since you have large pumpkins and you suggested they are great for Halloween I vote that you paint them orange!

I don't mind silver. And the good thing about silver is that when it scratches it still looks fine. When the paint scratches off of black axles it tends to look horrible IMO.

What's the aluminum drop down piece where the rear bumper mount would go on the chassis? Is that a drop down hitch mount or something?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I love the new bright body myself. Only downside to it imo is the flares.
I agree, something about the front end on the China Jeeps looks off to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That is a cool trans!

What's the aluminum drop down piece where the rear bumper mount would go on the chassis? Is that a drop down hitch mount or something?
Yes, hitch mount. Not sure if I'll use it or not yet. Do want to pull a trailer on occasion with this one, should make for an interesting trail run. Might even make French Creek interesting to trail at.

Last edited by OSRC; 10-19-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Got a little more work done...this rig is moving along a lot quicker than I thought.

First, a pic of the body. Came to me exactly as it stands. PO added the flares, and I think it makes all the difference on the body. Red paint looks good, but the black ... whatever... peels right off. Plastidip? Tar? Mystery meat? I have no idea what it is. I'll have to clean it all off eventually. I'm normally not a scale detail type of guy, but I'd like to detail this one out a bit.

Can't use the stock shock towers with the NB interior, and can't afford a Dinky setup, so time to make something (which is my favorite part of any build) - 2 shock towers that tuck right into the interior. Speed holes just because.. lol. I had lost my countersink bit months ago, and I finally broke down and got a new one. Putting it to good use!

Mounted on chassis using the stock holes and an aluminum crossmember I found in my parts stash. Stock shock w/40wt oil for now. Left room for some taller options later.

Tucks right in there! Eventually all that shiny aluminum will have to get a coat of black.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice! I like those shock towers. I own 2 new brights, a 2dr China jk and a 4dr China jk. I think they all look good next to each other. I just like the interior and size of the new bright a little more. The new 4drs with removable flares from deadloc are nice but the grill and taillights. Knight customs is working on a new grill for them thankfully.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That new Xtra Speed Jeep body sure has my attention...Very nice! Quite a few nice new hard bodies coming out.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Moving right along...

Wanted to relocate the upper links for better geometry. So I cut up some plates that will sandwich in between the slider mounts. NOT my best work, I had some drill bit walk issues, and the holes are a little funky. I HATE that (but not enough to start over..) They are square to each other side to side at least, so I can live with it. I did promise some questionable machining...

Mounted on chassis...also pushes the sliders out a bit laterally - they were flush with the body initially. Now they stick out just a bit - looks much better.

Realizing that I had a heavy body about to get mounted, I went back and outboarded all 4 shocks. Really helps keep the body from rolling around. The stock single springs are most likely not going to be enough - I'll tune on it a bit later once it's sitting on all 4 wheels.

Wild Boars on, links all set....think I got a roller here! Well, a slider anyway. The wheels are sitting behind it. Not yet sure which to go with, got a ton of options here. Love this chassis layout.

Body sitting on top - really like how it's coming together.

Now, battery and electronics need to get shoehorned in.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yeah that's exactly the same as the body I have.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I like it! Which body it that? Assume it's a China JK of some variety?
Old 10-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I like it! Which body it that? Assume it's a China JK of some variety?
Yeah same as the xtra speed I got it from deadloc racing.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Rolling right along!

Rear shock towers are only 2mm thick, so added a brace to keep things solid. With the aluminum crossmember and brace, the back of the chassis is solid as a rock!

Some more questionable engineering...wanted the battery and electronics on the sliders to keep COG as low as possible. Used some thin space age material (industrial grade pizza plans) to fab up an electronics and battery tray. Tray can hold either my 3000mah flat packs or standard 2200mah.

Mounted up.. I like things simple. Zip tied to the sliders. Been using this method for years and it holds up great.

Crammed in the electronics...winch control, reciver and ESC. I really like these little Hobbyking ESC's - for brushed motors they work out great. Excellent drag brake and lipo cut-off..$10 each. Can't beat it.

Everything tucks in just barely under the body. Might have to tweak it a bit after I get the body sorted out, but very happy with how everything fits.

Wheels attached...Boom beadlocks and Axial BFG's. Wheels are subject to change, but the tires are staying. Think they look perfect with the body.

Dropped on the body..Starting to look like something here!

A bit concerned about weight. The SSD trans is pretty weighty, and with the Rampage bumper and Boom wheels it's got to be edging into 10lb territory. I like a heavier rig, but this one is turning into a pig.

Next up - bodywork. I usually have zero patience, but I've got all winter to get this done so hoping to have it come out pretty good. First step is to get all that black crap off and though the red paint looks decent, it's got the factory mold lines everywhere - they have to go!! Broke down and ordered a rear bumper too as I didn't have any that looked right.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Somehow I've never build a rig over 10lbs. lol
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Started laying some paint on the body and interior...Red is for Ferraris (and F-150s.) I like my rigs in blue. Or gunmetal. Or silver... Sometimes Pactra Fiery Orange too just to keep it interesting. But went with blue on this one. Interior is a textured black that came out a little shinier than I'd like. I hit it with some flat black on top, but it still is a it glossy.

While the paint is drying, got time for a little distraction! Note the plethora of blue vehicles piling up on the workbench...

Last edited by OSRC; 10-24-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #15
RCC Addict

somehow, the body clip posts do not look that bad. However, I still prefer it mounted from under
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:58 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
somehow, the body clip posts do not look that bad. However, I still prefer it mounted from under
Probably because the clips are not on.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

It will look appropriately un-scale once the clips are on, I promise
Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Got the interior detailed. Just a few scale items to make it look lived in, nothing too crazy.. I was going to do the seat inlays gray, but I opened my Testors flat gray and found out it had turned to sludge. So I put a blue pip on the seats and called it good.

A bit of detail on the dash. These interiors look great, with just a bit of paint it makes a fumble fingered function over form painter like me look half decent.

I'm an Equal Oppurtunity Builder...Ran out of dudes, so Mickey James gets to drive today! Plus, she's super skinny and seems to fit in there perfect. It's a very tight fit between the wheel and the seat - didn't have to trim anything at all thankfully. I painted on a "shirt" over the somewhat skimpy attire and she came out pretty good overall. She looks like she's either seriously concentrating on the next obstacle or constipated, I'm not sure.

Got the requisite flat black grill painted, now it's on to details...

Last edited by OSRC; 10-26-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
It will look appropriately un-scale once the clips are on, I promise
Oh the "horror" of not having to reattach your body after every rollover like you have to with magnets.

You did a good job painting her shirt. I can't tell you added it. You might have a future career in body painting swimsuit models.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I do need a job... I was looking for a different direction - I could totally handle that!

This rig is heavy....magnets, velcro or even fairy dust isn't going to cut it.

OS's Junkyard NB JK - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's Rally thread OSRC Rally 63 01-13-2019 03:27 PM
OS's Junkyard C3 OSRC 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 10-16-2017 02:07 PM
OS's Crawl Hammer OSRC Vaterra Twin Hammers 8 05-06-2014 12:12 PM
OS's XR OSRC Axial XR10 21 11-09-2011 08:39 PM
OS's Creeper OSRC Venom Creeper 8 11-07-2011 10:06 PM