Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By JohnnyAnguish
  • 2 Post By JohnnyAnguish

Thread: Johnny's Big Little Guy builds a Barrage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Johnny's Big Little Guy builds a Barrage

My older son is the age I was when I built my first RC. It was a Tamiya Falcon and it kicked it's dog bones like nobody's business. Anyway...

With some experience helping me build a Bomber (and to a lesser extent, a Yeti) under his belt, Big Little Guy was itching for a kit of his own. We were at our LHS* and the Barrage caught his eye. After a quick call to the wife for approval (who, bless her heart, realized she was also signing up for a kit for Little Little Guy (who was dying for an on road car)) we walked out with the kit and a couple of cans of Tamiya spray paint.

Given how long the Bomber took to build with Big Little Guy's on-again-off-again approach, I expected the kit to keep him occupied for a while. After all, he was building this one on his own. I wasn't going to be "reminding" him to work on it.

I think I underestimated the draw of having his own RC car. This was the state shortly after we got home...

ECX Barrage Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr

*RC Excitement in Fitchburg, MA. Place rules. The shop even runs a build camp where they assemble the Barrage with the kids.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Johnny's Big Little Guy builds a Barrage

I'm going to watch this build.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
I'm going to watch this build.
There won't be a whole lot to watch, because I woke up the next morning to find the kid had already finished up the kit!

We spent the day painting the body. I helped him mask it up and put on the decals. We took turns spraying coats of paint. I gave him a left over jerry can I had from my Scrap Dingo build, some stickers from my CFX Bronco build and some Axial plastic D-Rings I had laying around.

He's got a few more ideas for detailing, but at this point he couldn't wait any longer to get it dirty. I was amazed he paused long enough to let me take these pictures.

Last edited by JohnnyAnguish; 08-14-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Forgot the D Rings
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

That’s awesome! My 9yo daughter helped me build her own tamiya Grasshopper a while back but in another year i’ll Get her to do the same. How old is your young fella?
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleblanc View Post
Thatís awesome! My 9yo daughter helped me build her own tamiya Grasshopper a while back but in another year iíll Get her to do the same. How old is your young fella?
He's 12. Some of the hardware in the Barrage kit is really tiny. That's the only thing that ever really gave him trouble on this build. It can be tricky getting some of those little screw started into hard plastic. He helped me build my Bomber last year. The hardware is a better size on that, but it's a more complicated build.

My younger guy is 9. He's obsessed with super cars. We just built a Tamiya TT-02 Acura NSX together that is now "his" car. It won't be long until he's capable of tackling a kit all on his own. That's gonna be a bittersweet moment, 'cause I had a lot of fun building it with him.

Johnny's Big Little Guy builds a Barrage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny's TFL Bronco Johnnysplits 1.9 Scale Rigs 48 01-24-2018 11:50 PM
*GIVEAWAY* Krazed Builds 10mm Big Bore Piston Tuner Set Robbob Chit Chat 86 12-02-2017 12:27 PM
C.I. builds Big Jeff's Alumi-Fighter Comp Crawler Nova's Ark EnRoute Berg 34 12-17-2016 09:17 AM
Big thanks from a little guy. boosted4lyf AZ Summer Shootout by NARCCA 11 06-09-2013 10:46 PM
LowslowTJ builds a Jeep out of a Honcho for big Bronco! lowslowTJ 1.9 Scale Rigs 79 03-02-2010 12:27 PM