Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hardcore Sami

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hardcore Sami

It's been a while since I started a new build. Since Proline released the Sumo, I always wanted to create a chassis for it. After a couple of months working on its design, I'm ready to send the file to Fibre Lyte so they can cut its 3 mm carbon fibre parts. I also started ordering parts and putting them together.

I envision something pretty low with wheel base a tad longer than 10" (the Sumo WB), it will be wide too.

Axles
They are SCX10.2's but I bought all the parts separately.
Almost everything is from SSD (first time using their stuff) besides the FE bearings, the Incision front universals and VP rear shafts.
The whole assembly went very smoothly, VP parts have a very tight fit and needed some sanding though.
Everything operates very freely, I'm pretty happy with the result and the quality of the SSD parts, especially the Diamond 44 axle cases.
The front axle is really heavy thanks to the SSD's brass knuckles, I might have to add some weight to the rear one.
I'm still looking for a UCFab servo mount, Beeftubes is out of stock, any lead?

Chassis
The design incorporates the shock mounts and loosely mimic the lines of a Samurai frame. As mentioned earlier it will be all 3mm carbon fibre.
I should not receive it before a while, hopefully in less than a month.

Transmission
Not really decided yet, I have a fully built AX10 transmission for now, might switch to a plastic case.
The driveshafts are from Axial, I wanted something that is light and that I could easily shorten.

Wheels
Just bought some used Braven Ironside and a set of Incision plastic wheels. I will add some LockedUp RC rings later.

Shocks
Looking for a set of Dravtech shocks, I have a AE buggy set for mock-up.

Exterior
Started to trim the body but I will remove the over fenders and the bumpers (at least) after I get the chassis and everything assembled. For now there's only a plastic front bumper (Axial Poison Spyder), no plan for rails or rear bumper yet.

Electronics
Servo: Savox 4096
ESC: Castle Mamba Max Pro
Motor: Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro BL 3500KV (considering switching to a HH Stubby)

utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hardcore Sami

I'm tuned in and ready for this one..... Very happy to see another of your creations....
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #3

Tuned in as well! Can’t wait to see the results. I love sami’s
underscorepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well, I'm pretty impatient but the chassis might take a while to cut/ship to the US, will take more photos of axles wheels soon.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
RCC Addict

This looks like fun!

Off topic, but I have a chance to buy a 1:1 '88 Sami with a bad tranny and clutch...very tempting if I had a place to work on it. I don't think my RC bench will suffice...
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That's one of my dream cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
This looks like fun!

Off topic, but I have a chance to buy a 1:1 '88 Sami with a bad tranny and clutch...very tempting if I had a place to work on it. I don't think my RC bench will suffice...
Old 09-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Some non-progress: added some old wheels to the axles to check the stance of the truck. SLW hubs will be much narrower, I can expect -8/10mm less width overall but since I'll cut the over fenders, more than half of the tires will stick out of the body.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
RCC Addict

That's a problem.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Found in my mailbox the second hand Incision plastic wheels, Braven tires and Dravtech shocks, did a new mock-up today using #2 SLW hubs (was using #4 in the previous photo).
Although the width of the wheels is maybe 25% narrower and I'm using thinner hubs, they still stick out a lot. I was wondering if anyone made even thinner hubs. I'm pretty sure I saw one that didn't require the hex hub and had a groove for the axle's pin.

I'll keep the overfenders, I just cut their vertical part so the tires don't rub too much.
I'm also still waiting for Lockup RC outer rings and hardware.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks good for an aggressive Sami. I think once the body is sitting a bit higher, it'll look fine.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Locked Up RC makes .185 SLW hubs, and Lattice Innovations make the "shift" hubs that are SLW compatible and ride directly on the pin.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Locked Up RC makes .185 SLW hubs, and Lattice Innovations make the "shift" hubs that are SLW compatible and ride directly on the pin.
Thanks! Now I
I realized the SLW hub don't match the Incision wheels, I might need to buy new hubs.I'll check first when I receive Accorn LURC screws, maybe they fit in the Incision wheel (my only concern is that their bigger diameter might weaken the plastic support)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by utieh View Post
Some non-progress: added some old wheels to the axles to check the stance of the truck. SLW hubs will be much narrower, I can expect -8/10mm less width overall but since I'll cut the over fenders, more than half of the tires will stick out of the body.

This looks perfect!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I checked LURC website: their narrow hub offer both 3mm and 4.40 but I think the Incision mounting screws are either 2.5 or 2 mm

I'll experiment with 4.40 first but I think it might really weaken the wheel.

G
Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
RCC Addict

The thread size won't be your biggest concern, I believe the actual bolt circle diameter on the Incision wheel/hub is different than anything else. Why Vanquish would do that to one of their own brands is beyond me, but I'd measure the bolt circle FIRST.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The thread size won't be your biggest concern, I believe the actual bolt circle diameter on the Incision wheel/hub is different than anything else. Why Vanquish would do that to one of their own brands is beyond me, but I'd measure the bolt circle FIRST.
Thanks! I'll take a closer look tonight.
G
Old 10-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Some updates:
Received the chassis, everything fits perfectly, I've already started updating the file, moving the rear shock tower 1/4 inch forward and a few other small stuff.
It's just a very loose mock up for now, I still need to make the links (I thought geometry would be similar to a stock SCX10.2 but upper and lower links are the same length, front and rear)

I'm still undecided for tires: Rock Beasts size looks better than the Braven Ironside. So now I'm looking for an alternative: what about the Proline BFG KO2 G8 for that type of rig? Or Hyrax C1/G8? I'd love some recommandation for the foams as well (truck is very light).

Installed the UCFab servo mount, I'm really happy with the result.

I'll need some cross members as well, chassis is super flexible right not. Will maybe add a small rear bumper, boat sides.

Last edited by utieh; 10-14-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

A little update after a month hiatus.

It's almost a roller, only the rear upper links are missing.
Driveshaft angle is perfect thanks to the SC10.2 axles and there's plenty of articulation (chassis is quite flexible too).

I ordered the missing links and a new set of Pitbull Rock Beast (are the included foams any good?), the diameter is just perfect, I'll just use the lighter plastic Incision wheels instead of the LURCs.

Will paint it this week while I wait for the parts.

Thanks for looking

Old 11-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

120 screws later:

I'm also building another one for a friend, I'll update the design and have it cut from black G10 this time:
Old 12-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

99% done, still missing those rear upper links!

Hardcore Sami - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hardcore 69 action 1tonscout Non Crawler RC's 1 06-19-2013 03:46 PM
Hardcore photographer constantmotion Chit Chat 9 08-22-2011 02:03 PM
Hardcore Crawlin' JoeMotor Videos! 6 05-28-2009 10:02 PM