Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs
Loading

Notices

Thread: •Project Lo-Do•

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2019, 12:28 AM   #121
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Deep South
Posts: 2,958
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Shortening the rear links will make it more scalish looking. But I’d personally leave it be for the departure angle.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #122
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Shorten the wb some and trim the back side of the frame to the cage and you will be golden. Looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Shortening the rear links will make it more scalish looking. But I’d personally leave it be for the departure angle.
I’m leaning toward leaving it alone just for budget concerns.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #123
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

So I talked to Mom yesterday afternoon and I received a less than enthusiastic response to this?

She said just wasn’t comfortable accepting such an “expensive” gift from a neighbor. I tried to explain to her that it was a very budget oriented build and reminded her of how much I had quoted her when she asked about the cost.

Just she just wasn’t seeing this the same as I was.

She said she didn’t have a problem with me allowing *Johnny to use Lo-Do, but she wasn’t comfortable accepting it as a gift, she said she couldn’t afford or have the knowledge or ability to replace anything that might break, and didn’t want Johnny working on it as he might break it.

I was really kind of bummed to be honest. I kinda felt deflated last night and skipped working on Lo-Do last night. 😏

After talking to my wife and reflecting on the situation, I guess I can see her point.

I’m still a little deflated, but he will still get to use the truck. I can work on it if (more likely when) something breaks and this morning I remembered that he would have to charge the batteries.

That completely slipped my mind.

I wouldn’t allow my boy to charge his Lipos without me supervising, and I wouldn’t want him doing it either.

Plus I would have to purchase another Lipo Charger which I didn’t take into consideration.

Mom gave me lemons, I’m going to make lemonade.

The only real difference is that it will be “my” rig, and not his.

But I built it for him, so in my mind, it’s still his!🙂

More to come...




*Not his real name.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #124
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 85
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

I have a old nimh fast charger you can have that would be a lot safer than lipo batteries! If it wase I would get rig all sorted wrap it up like Xmas present an just drop it on there door step Xmas day!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
robbark34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #125
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbark34 View Post
I have a old nimh fast charger you can have that would be a lot safer than lipo batteries! If it wase I would get rig all sorted wrap it up like Xmas present an just drop it on there door step Xmas day!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Very generous offer and I appreciate your and everyone else’s generosity.

I think I’m just going to follow Mom’s lead at this point. I don’t want to rock the boat and make her mad as me.

That would just make things worse.

As it is, he’ll have a rig to drive. In the end that’s all that I really wanted to do with this build.

Maybe over time, Mom will come around? 🙂
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:33 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Deep South
Posts: 2,958
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Fair enough.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #127
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Anyways, I got back out in the shop this afternoon and got a little more work done on Lo-Do.

Got the cage mostly attached to the body. Just need to grab some fuel tubing to fill the gap at the top between the cab and the cage.



Got the Canyon Trail tires it will run reinstalled.

Got the spare to fit inside the cage.



And lopped off about 1 1/4 inches off the rear of the frame.



Just need to pick up some aluminum angle and neodymium magnets to create a front body mount, pick up the fuel tubing to finish attaching the cage to the cab, and go some minor tweaking to the steering.

Getting pretty close to finished. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #128
Rock Crawler
 
indybama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: US
Posts: 888
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Atleast he can still drive it. I can kinda see her point. All in all, this is a very genrous thing youve done for him dez. People like u n a majority of us on here would do somethin like that for someone less fortunate (im sure thats spelled wrong lol).
Has he seen it yet? Bet he flips his lid wen he sees it

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #129
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Atleast he can still drive it. I can kinda see her point. All in all, this is a very genrous thing youve done for him dez. People like u n a majority of us on here would do somethin like that for someone less fortunate (im sure thats spelled wrong lol).
Has he seen it yet? Bet he flips his lid wen he sees it

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Not yet!

I haven’t seen him much the last month.

School started about 3-4 weeks ago, I was traveling a bunch the first part of the month as my wife was in the hospital for some testing, and Ive been keeping the garage door closed as I didn’t want him to just ride up into the garage and spoil the surprise.

Last edited by dezfan; 09-30-2019 at 06:47 PM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: cape crud... will you be my friend
Posts: 2,006
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

I vote this thread of the year.
It's all in here, the action, drama and suspense. Perfect !!!
Keep up the good faith bud, you're a true inspiration on many levels.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #131
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clackamas
Posts: 1,885
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Looks good with the wheelbase left but frame rails chopped.

Bummer about the gift side of things but at least he can still drive it. Which was the main goal. Keep up the great work.
hillbillyrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #132
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
durok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,253
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Man, the rig came out looking EXCELLENT - especially for a super-budget build!

As far as how the mom reacted, maybe she just isn't "hip" to the way the concept of paying it forward is extra-popular in crawling circles.

Or - she's nervous about stranger-danger, which (sadly) in today's world has ramped up to ridiculous levels...

Major props to you for the whole thing, and in the end you scored by feeling good during the build (because you had such generous intentions), contributed to the forum by letting us see how these sweet inexpensive parts all worked together, and ending up with what looks like a perfectly capable rig!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #133
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
I vote this thread of the year.
It's all in here, the action, drama and suspense. Perfect !!!
Keep up the good faith bud, you're a true inspiration on many levels.
🤣

I’ve seen it done here on RCC before.

Maybe it’s just us Crawlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Looks good with the wheelbase left but frame rails chopped.

Bummer about the gift side of things but at least he can still drive it. Which was the main goal. Keep up the great work.
It’s growing on me, I know it will perform pretty well with nothing out back to catch on.

It is what it is. I’ll respect Mom’s wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Man, the rig came out looking EXCELLENT - especially for a super-budget build!

As far as how the mom reacted, maybe she just isn't "hip" to the way the concept of paying it forward is extra-popular in crawling circles.

Or - she's nervous about stranger-danger, which (sadly) in today's world has ramped up to ridiculous levels...

Major props to you for the whole thing, and in the end you scored by feeling good during the build (because you had such generous intentions), contributed to the forum by letting us see how these sweet inexpensive parts all worked together, and ending up with what looks like a perfectly capable rig!
Thanks.

Could be, she just really didn’t like the idea of it as a gift. And the stranger-danger thing is something that I completely missed!😲 That’s something I should have taken into consideration.

Enjoyed seeing what I could come up with and seeing the generosity of numerous RCC peeps offering to help. That’s just awesome!👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #134
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Readsboro, VT
Posts: 1,549
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Dez,
Fantastic idea and execution! As for the mother's concerns, in the long run, I think it will work out fine. He can still use it, and since you were going to be helping him fix it when it broke anyway, nothing really changed except maybe for where the rig will reside when not in use. Eventually I could see it being under "permanent" loan, and by then Mom will likely have softened to the idea anyway.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #135
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: california under the rock im crawling on
Posts: 1,440
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

give it some time then give the kid a opertunity to work it off doing chores or something that mite change moms view about it then its no longer a gift its something the kid wants and is willing to work for it

thats how i got my first sail boat grampa wanted to buy me one but mom sead no but she let me save and work to buy one myself i sailed that thing till it fell apart lol

Last edited by ferp420; 10-02-2019 at 09:15 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #136
Formerly Pant Danza
 
Topher Builds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Hey this is great Dez! You rock!

Truck is looking rad, I’m sure he’s going to love wheeling it.
Topher Builds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #137
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,883
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Great looking truck!

It's rare these days when people give gifts without expecting something. So I can understand why she was uncomfortable. But it sucks that it's for her child and she can't see that. You tried.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:39 PM   #138
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Dez,
Fantastic idea and execution! As for the mother's concerns, in the long run, I think it will work out fine. He can still use it, and since you were going to be helping him fix it when it broke anyway, nothing really changed except maybe for where the rig will reside when not in use. Eventually I could see it being under "permanent" loan, and by then Mom will likely have softened to the idea anyway.
It’s be fine, probably better as I can help him fix it and keep an eye on it when it gets to cold or it’s snowing and we stop crawling. 👍🏼


Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
give it some time then give the kid a opertunity to work it off doing chores or something that mite change moms view about it then its no longer a gift its something the kid wants and is willing to work for it

thats how i got my first sail boat grampa wanted to buy me one but mom sead no but she let me save and work to buy one myself i sailed that thing till it fell apart lol
If Mom is comfortable with the chores in exchange for the rig, that might be the path to follow. 👍🏼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Hey this is great Dez! You rock!

Truck is looking rad, I’m sure he’s going to love wheeling it.
I have to admit, it turned out better than I had imagined. I was thinking it was gonna be as ugly as sin, but the bargain body and budget bed cage make it look really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Great looking truck!

It's rare these days when people give gifts without expecting something. So I can understand why she was uncomfortable. But it sucks that it's for her child and she can't see that. You tried.
Yea, after a little reflection, I can understand. Mom’s just being a Mom. I’m cool with that.

In the end, it’s probably better as I can supervise and help.

Who knows what would happen if it was to go home and there was not an adault around. I know how destructive my friends and I where with our stuff.

My Uncle used to call us “The Destroyers”. 🤣
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #139
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

I started fabbing up the front body mount for body this afternoon and the body and cage got attached to the chassis in the rear with a couple of zip ties.

*Good old fashioned red neck engineering and hinged body system all in one!

Used a metal bracket, some neodymium magnets, and some E6000 to start the front body mount.

Letting everything set up over night and finish installing the magnets on the inside of the body tomorrow.

Other than a few tweaks to steering alignment, that should about wrap it up. 👍🏼

We have a GTG on the 12th, so it should make it’s debut then.

I’ll get some pics up tomorrow.





*Patent Pending! 🤣
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:33 PM   #140
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Delayed in getting pics, been out of town.

Front body mount.

5-C9-BF2-AD-63-A3-4625-997-A-68-CEC11-E52-F3

And my Patent Pending body mount/hinge system.

996399-F4-C7-A7-4-B4-A-94-B3-11-D1-EB0789-DD
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



•Project Lo-Do• - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt Prime Axial SCX-10 211 01-07-2017 10:53 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com