Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another Class 3 build...its a 'tweener

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Another Class 3 build...its a 'tweener

My previous class 3 build was based on Enduro axles and running 2.2 wheels but definitely still a 1.9 sized truck. This one is a 'tweener...bigger than a 1.9 truck but not as big as a 2.2 sized truck. Built to SORRCA class 3 specs again, but set up to run wider axles and bigger tires. My goal was to get the cg lower than my last one so that it can handle climbing steeper inclines, and in combination with a wider track greatly improve the sidehilling capability.

Axles are based on Beeftubes XR width AR44 housings. Some VP bits out back such as c-hubs and knuckles. The front is sporting the TGH c-hubs which include a panhard mount on the right side, making it easier to set up a CMS with these. Front knuckles are some heavy chinese made units for ar60's. Took a little tweaking to get them right but they worked out well. Standard gearing front and rear, at least for now.

Chassis rails are once again Gspeed V3 in G10. They have a few light mods to get things set up how I want them. TGH dual servo mount up front, custom rear crossmember. TGH frame side panhard mount up front.

Links are a mix, right now using several Enduro links (long wheelbase links in the rear) and longer rod ends to get wheelbase stretched out some. I will likely be getting custom titanium links soon. Front is three link with panhard, rear is four link.

Shocks are Traxxas Big Bore 2660 shocks. Caps are modded to use rod ends. On the bodies I cut down the hex and cut the spring seats to use small springs. I run mini t front springs using lower perches that I designed and printed.

Once again I'm using the Team Garage Hack forward motor mount and transfer case with 15% OD built in. Some custom work to lower the motor mount a bit. Driveshafts are Axial wild boars, top shaft is from SDI.

Mamba micro X ESC running a Holmes Hobbies Magnum stubby motor...this motor is expensive but its AMAZING. A Castle 10 amp BEC powers the rx and servos. Currently testing out some AGFrc A73CHLWservos in front and rear which I believe put out more than the rated torque. Winch duty is carried by the new Reefs 99micro servo winch on a custom mounting plate. A 650mah 3s battery mounts on the right electronics tray.

I set up the truck to run tires as big as the pictured Proline 2.2 Swampers (non XL). These spec at 5.4" tall. Not entirely sure if I'll stick with these, but even though the foams are too stiff the tires work fairly well. Wheels are SSD 2.2's which are wider than I'd like. Also will be using some narrowed Pitbull 2.2 XOR's on narrow wheels (maybe CI plastic wheels).

Body is a re-purposed Creep I had sitting around. This is a good body for a class 3 truck in my opinion as its lightweight and narrow. I added a drop bed for some scale points. The interior scores a bunch of points as its scratch build, has a full drive and passenger, as well as a rollcage I made from brass tubing.

I decided to try making a bumper from brass up front. So some brass sheet cut, folded, and soldered then a bull bar from 1/8 brass tube soldered on along with a simple fairlead. The rear bumper is repurposed from another build and cut down to fit with the Creep body. I'll likely build another rear bumper but this one is good for now.

garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2021, 06:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another Class 3 build...its a 'tweener

Very cool build!!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

What runtime do you get out of this mini battery ??
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Looks great! Nice build!
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys.

themountain - Not sure exactly on the run time, but the competition runs are typically 10 minutes or less for me. I'd guess at least 30 minutes of runtime in total, depending on what I'm doing.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Huh, how 'bout that. I found that I had a set of CI foams here that are about perfect for these 2.2 Swampers. Stuffed 'em in there and they feel good, I think after some break in for both the tires and foams this is going to be a fairly good combination.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Another awesome build Gary.

I'm curious why you used the shorter 2660 shocks?

I'm also curious how you like that servo winch? I love the size, if it works well, I may have to get one for my rig.

Cheers,
Gable
pcgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
Another awesome build Gary.

I'm curious why you used the shorter 2660 shocks?

I'm also curious how you like that servo winch? I love the size, if it works well, I may have to get one for my rig.

Cheers,
Gable
The 2660's seem to be about the same as Dravtech shorts, which is what I like to use. Longer shocks would end up with more articulation than I want, so I'd just have to use bigger travel limiters. I'm one of those guys that doesn't want tons of articulation. By the way, I also use travel limiters on the shafts of these because the shafts are so long they'll push into the bladder hard at full compression. If the spring cups are thick enough then limiters may not be needed to avoid that.

I haven't used the mini servo winch all that much yet, but so far I love it. It's definitely more powerful than I expected, and I usually just need the winch to assist, not to deadlift the truck (it will do it though...I've tried it just to see). For competition a fast winch is a benefit since time is sometimes a factor. This winch is fairly fast, and if I could improve one thing on it that would be it. But it's faster than a lot of winches and I think its adequate for my purposes, especially considering the light weight and relatively low cost.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
themountain - Not sure exactly on the run time, but the competition runs are typically 10 minutes or less for me. I'd guess at least 30 minutes of runtime in total, depending on what I'm doing.
Thanks ...I was asking because on my 1.9"proto I have a 3s 850mah battery and I had doubts if that would be enough for the servo and a servo winch....but you run 3 servos on that thing so my doubts are gone now
Awesome build BTW
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Another Class 3 build...its a 'tweener - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my class 1 build Crisdog80 Axial SCX10 II 10 05-24-2018 03:25 PM
Class 3 buggy build thebuilder General Crawlers 2 01-07-2017 07:39 PM
Famous112's Gelande II Build! / Class 1 ( 1.9 ) Build Famous112 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 04-07-2014 09:18 PM
My class 3 build Nitro_Geezer_UK 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 10-13-2011 09:52 AM
ETRC Holiday Tweener Comp Harvo Competitions 65 12-08-2010 02:58 PM