Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sensored Brushless vs. Sensorless Revolover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Sensored Brushless vs. Sensorless Revolover

Hi guys hoping for some insight here. I'm gathering parts for my build that's getting closer to starting. I've ordered a custom chassis using NWSD Scattergun V2 SCX10.2 rails and a power wagon body from Ryan Tilkens over at Pimpin Crawlers and am waiting on my turn. As my number gets closer to getting built I'm gathering my other parts in the works titanium high clearance links, 2 Capra front axles, incision gears with a 25% overdrive in front, gspeed lay down servo mounts (when they come in stock), Dlux Fab Hamberger Trans, and Fish's Crawler High Clearance Skid.

I'm building a 4WS rig that's I think fairly low lcg, but I guess that will depend on how I get it set up too.... Anyways I see a lot of people using these Revolver motors on their crawlers. I was under the impression that the start up on a sensorless motor wasn't as good as a sensored brushless motor?? I was planning on using a castle 2800kv slate with mamba x but am curious would say a Holmes revolver v2 2850kv with a mamba x be better??

What's the pros and cons of each?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
TwiztidDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Sensored Brushless vs. Sensorless Revolover

John Holmes has several videos of the revolver on his youtube channel that are very helpful.

It seems if you want the very best low speed control, a brushed motor is your best bet. Although if you are certain you want brushless, this video may be of some help. There is some good footage here showing the low-speed performance of both a puller pro and a revolver.

I very much want to to try a Holmes brushed motor for comparison, but the puller pro v2 that I'm using has some very fine low speed control. I don't think the revolver will be as smooth or slow, but it sure looks close in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIobffjAw0
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

With the right ESC an outrunner motor is far superior .
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

As far as sensorless motors go the Revolver its the exception to the rule (when paired with the right ESC). Low speed start up is incredibly good using the SW4 esc. I works very well with the SW4 due to Cryo Drive, the newly teased Copperhead ESC from Castle will have Cryo Drive too (I think the release is shown as June). Holmes Hobbies is also working on a Revolver specific ESC that will greatly reduce the noise/speaker effect caused by this motor.

I just built a Sherpa and to keep weight down I went with 400 size HH Puller (brushed) and a Torquemaster BR mini ESC. I also grabbed a Snubnose V2 Revolver in anticipation of the new HH ESC releasing.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-03-2021 at 02:20 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

SW4 with a 2200 revolver will amaze you with its slow precision....
Lug by lug. It annoys some, usually after being passed and following behind. The new esc from castle is a great innovation, Holmes new silencer will amaze folks, according to JRH

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Even a Mamba X works surprisingly well with a Revolver - but you'll get the latest and greatest software/firware control using either the SW4 or the Copperhead 10.

While it is probably helped by how friggin' overweight the rig is, with loads of heavy upgrades (mostly stainless steel), I have a v1 1800kv Revolver in a Bomber that is hooked up to the Mamba X and it will rotate slow enough for me to practically read the script on the motor can!

Noisy as feck, tho'...

I kinda like it!

(Haven't yet assembled my SW4 and v2 2200kv Revolver yet - trying to decide what to install it in!)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

https://www.hobbytown.com/castle-cre...66-07/p1308925

I think this will be my combo. And a B Link so i can adjust on my phone.

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sensored Brushless vs. Sensorless Revolover - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin 1/8 RX8 Gen2 Brushless Sensored/Sensorless ESC TIshoel Electronics 6 06-16-2016 07:53 PM
Sensored brushless or waterproof sensorless 4 pole. skiiermike Electronics 17 09-30-2015 07:05 PM
sensorless vs sensored? theloudone Electronics 3 03-26-2012 12:16 PM
sensorless vs. sensored brushless motors kalin96 Newbie General 6 06-05-2009 11:20 AM