Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Axial Basecamp Kit vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2023, 03:44 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial Basecamp Kit vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit

So now that my SCX 10 that I built from an early AX10 Scorpion kit that I already had is running again, I’ve now noticed it’s hard to find those parts to fix it if needed. I’ve thought about finding something different in place of it last couple days and have seen that there is now the Basecamp kit at $269 at A-Main vs $299 for the TRX-4 Sport kit, also at A-Main. My main concern is parts availability down the road, which Traxxas has a great record of and would be my main draw for that truck. Portals or Not isn’t a concern and I can always try and dump the unwanted TRX-4 Sport body and parts as well as rolling stock since I won’t be using them so those.

Baring the lawsuit drama, Does anybody here have thoughts one way or the other on this?
BJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2023, 04:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial Basecamp Kit vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit

I think in your situation, either kit would satisfy.

In my perspective, I'd pick the Base Camp kit. If I recall correctly, that kit is a bit lighter than the Sport and I tend to lean towards straight axle builds over portal.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 05:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
I think in your situation, either kit would satisfy.

In my perspective, I'd pick the Base Camp kit. If I recall correctly, that kit is a bit lighter than the Sport and I tend to lean towards straight axle builds over portal.
Thanks!

I’m ok with the weight and have yet to own a portal on solid axle rig since my Tamiya MF-01x with the GF-01TR portals is the only so equipped rig I have at the moment. Both appear to be pretty good rigs so far, I’m just more sure about the parts availability a decade down the road, since that is the issue I have run into with my Losi Crawlers.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:53 PM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

I like that the Sport kit includes a body. I also like the Canyon Trail tires in that kit. These things enrichen a builders kit. Makes the box just that much more fun to open
Portals axles are enjoyable to build. I really like the X4 build

The Axial is new, that's fun. I have never built a 10.3, would like to

Have you built a 10.3 pro? It's a nice chassis kit.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 07:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If long term parts availability is a concern, I don’t think anything will beat the trx4. First, because they don’t break that often, and second, there are trx4 parts everywhere. Stock and after market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 11:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I like that the Sport kit includes a body. I also like the Canyon Trail tires in that kit. These things enrichen a builders kit. Makes the box just that much more fun to open
Portals axles are enjoyable to build. I really like the X4 build

The Axial is new, that's fun. I have never built a 10.3, would like to

Have you built a 10.3 pro? It's a nice chassis kit.
I have not, I have done chassis swaps on the AX10 to SCX10 conversion as well as SCX24 Deadbolt to Microshark, then brushless and 4WS Microshark, plus a build of the Jimny as well as the Vaterra Ascender I sold on here a few years back.

I would probably look at different willing stock as well as the Axial XJ or Proline MJ bodies if I do this and would be looking at selling those if I get the TRX-4.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
If long term parts availability is a concern, I don’t think anything will beat the trx4. First, because they don’t break that often, and second, there are trx4 parts everywhere. Stock and after market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been pretty lucky with the durability of the SCX10 and have had minimal breakage with it, I’ve swapped electronics around because I wanted to more than needed to, but the lack of parts down the road like with the Losi trucks and now the 1st Axial stuff has me leaning towards Traxxas since I can still get parts for most of their products I own, outside of my 1st Gen electric 4-Tec, which never had the popularity of the other vehicles they made.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:13 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I wouldnt worry about there not being parts available for the 10.3. Look at all the aftermarket the 10.2 had. Axial is a big name in this game, so theres always goina b parts available. Traxxas has parts available too, but theyve kept the same chassis setup, not to say they didnt do it right. But the trx4 is a bit heavy imo. I snagged the axles from the one i had n sold the rest of it. The axles dont have that great of steering, but theyre beefy. If it were my choice, id get the new basecamp builders kit. The ar45s axles share parts with the ar44, ie knuckles n gear set. Its alot lighter than the trx4, so cog would be lower
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:55 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I think both will end up having a lot of support for years to come. The TRX4 Platform has been around for a long time and they keep adding new versions of it so its safe to say it will continue to have part supports for many years.
Then SCX10 Builders kit will likely end up being around for a few years as well and being based on the rest of the SCX10 line it will have part support for a long time as well.
xwaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Basecamp Kit vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WWYD: Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit or Sport Kit? theace18 Newbie General 19 05-27-2020 08:47 AM
Axial Capra vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport kit Stomp General Crawlers 27 10-31-2019 08:27 PM
TRX 4 Sport Kit vs Axial SCX10 II? mattbhm Traxxas TRX-4 24 03-20-2019 01:10 PM