Alright, now for the tech part of the thread:

Axles - Wheely King
Transmission - AX10
Frame - Custom angle aluminum & cut down AX10 chassis
Links - Delrin tubing with traxxas rod ends and 6-32 hardware
Shocks - Wheely King semi-droop
Wheels - HPI 2.2 Black Mesh Wheels
Tires - Losi Rock Claws
Motor - Axial 27T (for a little wheelspeed)
Spur/Pinion - 87t/14t
Driveshaft - 3Racing Aluminum AX10 shafts with 6mm drilled out on axle side (for now)
ESC - Axial AE-1
RX - Traxxas 27Mhz 2 ch (for now)
LEDs - 12 (for now, adding police lights later)
LED controller - 3Racing (p/n - 3RAC-LEDS)
Batteries - 3x2s 1500mAh 15c Lipo rx packs, wired in parallel, effectively a 2s3p pack for 4500mAh total

I was building this:
2.2 Trail Monster Chevy Crew Cab

But there was a LOT of work needed for that body, so while I do the work, I wanted to be able to go on the trail and drive something. I've had this body for a while and was going to use it on my MLST, and it may end up back on the MLST for an IFS 1.9. Until then, here it is.

This still needs some work:
Shorter driveshafts - The 3Racing shafts fit fine on the longer wheelbase Crew Cab, but they are too short and cause binding issues. I'll probably just use pede shafts with the metal yokes from the 3R shafts.

Waterproof - As you see in the above pic, water became a part of the trail ride, luckily it was only a light rain for a short time. I will probably get a radio shack project box and silicone and make a waterproof box. The LED controller would need it's own box as well.

Beadlocks - I want to get some WK offset beadlocks so I can change tires if/when I need to. I don't want to spend too much, so I'll probably get some proline epic 2.2's.

Links - I've got new black delrin on its way now, as soon as it's here, I'll have new links made including the steering links. I'll need to mess with the steering drag link so that I can center the servo. When steering trim is set to center the wheels, the light controller thinks it's off-center, and the turn signal activates like I'm an old man who doesn't know his blinker is on.
Also, the axle link mounts will need to be redone.

Shocks - I need to stand these back up to be more vertical for a more scale appearance and performance, but I'll need to make some shock hoops or something to mount them.

Police Theme - I painted it like this so I could eventually make it into a "Trail Patrol" Vehicle, I need to find a good LED police light set and find someone to make the decals (already have in mind what I want for them) I'll likely not use a winch, at least to start, so the third channel (on the new RX I'll be using) will be for activating the police system.

Frame - I will probably end up making a new frame for this, but I'll want to have it cut to my specs, will probably use a sheet material rather than a c channel. May end up just getting an SCX frame though.

Spare tire and other scale items - I'll also need to make a spare tire holder for the back, add a roof rack, and a few other scale items to really make this thing look good.

Most of these mods will come as I get the time and/or money to do them. I've at least got a working trail truck to get me by until I get the build finished.

Comments, suggestions?
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

oh yeah, and a short vid of the trucks on the trail:

Old 09-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

ime not a big fan of hummers but that looks sick the tires look cool o that truck i like what you did with that truck!!!
spicer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicer3 View Post
ime not a big fan of hummers but that looks sick the tires look cool o that truck i like what you did with that truck!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Cool looking H2!
Thanks for the nice comments!

I actually don't like the 1:1 hummers really, but I got this body from radio shack (mattracks hummer, I bought just the body set though.) and had it sitting forever and finally decided to use it.

Once the police theme get's done, it'll be a lot cooler than it is now.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice hummer,looks perfect on the claws to
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

Nice truck! and looks like a great place to scale 4x4.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
Nice hummer,looks perfect on the claws to
I was kind of surprised they looked as good as they do, although, I may end up getting more scale tires for it, these work for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Nice truck! and looks like a great place to scale 4x4.
That trail is definitely nice, lots of different sections for good challenges, and it's just down the road from my house.

I think it's funny how people who hike that trail see the trucks and make all kinds of comments like "those are cool" and "did they drive all the way up here?" and "There's no sign that says no motorized vehicles"

More pics to come, including a body-off shot (frame is ugly...), and changing out the driveshafts and links, as well as how I made the tail light mounts.

I'll be using 3 receiver pack lipos to power this, so I'll also show the adapter build as well... Hopefully coming this weekend! (And more trail ride pics.)
Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i like the look of your hummer and the claws seem to fit that body styling well, good job
TNredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

sweet the tires look cool they look good on that truck wich is odd???
what makes them look so cool? i cant get through my head........
sweet ride will be nice to see more of it.
spicer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNredneck View Post
i like the look of your hummer and the claws seem to fit that body styling well, good job
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicer3 View Post
sweet the tires look cool they look good on that truck wich is odd???
what makes them look so cool? i cant get through my head........
sweet ride will be nice to see more of it.
I think it is a little strange too, I just had the tires lying around and decided to use them until I found a scale tire I liked. They perform well, and actually look decent on this body.

If you think about it, if you scale up the wheels and tires, they would be 47s riding on 22s. That's 4 foot tall tires! But you know the cops, they always want to have the expensive stuff on the public dime.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

http://www.po-light.com/ hey check this site out they might beable to tell you where to find the lights your looking for
CURTDOGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i found that if you run the claws the other direction they work even better, may want to try it out, but it works for me.
andrwplsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURTDOGG View Post
http://www.po-light.com/ hey check this site out they might beable to tell you where to find the lights your looking for
I'll have to check out that site for the flashing lights, thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrwplsn View Post
i found that if you run the claws the other direction they work even better, may want to try it out, but it works for me.
I'll have to try that, thanks!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I'll have to check out that site for the flashing lights, thanks for the link.
Damn, that's way too expensive for a few LEDs. It's not worth THAT much to have police lights, and there are less expensive kits using 5mm LEDs rather than the tiny 3mm that po-light uses.

Shoot, I could even get some police strobes from dealextreme for under $20, including controller. I'd just need a 12v power source.

Should be getting my new beadlocks soon, so that means I'll be boiling the tires off the rims...
Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

yea that is alittle steep, sorry didnt know they would be that much. the build looks good i relly like the s10
CURTDOGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
yea that is alittle steep, sorry didnt know they would be that much. the build looks good i relly like the s10
That's fine, the guy that does po-light makes some really good things, I would hate to throw away the models just to use the lights. I saw on a DIY electronics forum about how to make a light controller, but I can't find the thread right now. I might just get the DealExtreme kit, and de-case the controller box (or waterproof it) and use the LEDs (2 sets of 3 red and 2 sets of 3 blue LEDs) in my Lightbar. These will be switched on and off by my 3rd channel.

For the fog light, and reverse light, I'll probably order the 3racing lights, they are cheap, and are designed for the 3RAC-LEDS system. I want to add a 5-Light string (probably axial's new 5-led string), two for the aux fog lights (covering the H and R in front of the grill) two for the police spot lights and one for the reverse rock light. These will also be switched by my 3rd channel.

I will try and make a broken servo into a 3 position switch so that I can switch the rock lights and police lights on and off, so that the positions are:

Pos 1 (servo full left) - Police lights on
Pos 2 (servo centered) - Police lights and Rock Lights off
Pos 3 (servo full right) - Rock lights on

I might be able to wire it like this though:
Pos 1 (Left) - Police lights on, rock lights off
Pos 2 (center) - police lights off, rock lights on
Pos 3 (right) - police lights on, rock lights on

I think i'll lean towards the second way but with a switch to turn the 3rd channel on and off manually.

To do this, I'll need to get a few diodes and some DPDT relays. I might get a small circuit board to make everything nice and neat, and probably waterproof it with a project box. I'll look at designing this tonight, and maybe posting a how-to in the near future... Gotta calculate diode/resistor/relay values first.

I'll also use a seperate battery for the lights to save the main battery for throttle and steering.

More info soon!

Last edited by monkeyracer; 09-15-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice Work !! I love this shot Just a question is that a home built servo mount/brace on the front axle? looks really stout.
pvtjrt01550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Honestly, I don't know where the servo mount came from. I got the axles in a trade and it came with two of them. They are rusted over, and aren't the perfect fit on the servo, but it is nice and solid. I'm sitting in my car right now waiting for my gf to get off work, and starting to lay out the servo 3 position switch wiring... looks like it will be fairly easy to do. should be not much larger than a servo when it's all done. I'll try and order up the components soon, would usually go to radio shack, but I can get it all in bulk online from china for a lot cheaper. I will probably make 2 or 3 so I can give my friend one, and have one to spare. I just have to wait for parts to ship halfway across the globe.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking that the rust looked "scale" like this was a project in progress. To keep with your Police theme. Like the Hummer was confiscated and then rebuilt... The three postion switch sounds like a neat idea. when you get it figured out you could post a wiring diagram so electronic dummies like me can use it...hehe
pvtjrt01550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

If I were to attach a story to this build it would be:

The hummer started out as a drug vehicle, used to transport drugs through the back trails of the rocky mountains, but was confiscated in a drug bust. It was then converted to a Police Vehicle, ironically to be used to bust the drug runners that use the back trails to run the drugs. The build is in the process of being converted.

Of course the police like to have the good stuff on taxpayer dollars, so that's where the "lift" and big tires, beadlocks, rock lights, etc come in.

For scale accessories, I'll probably just use the standard winch, shovel, high-lift jack, "rescue" tools, etc. The spare is going to be one of the existing rim/tires (I have 4 rims, 5 tires) and the other 4 tires will be mounted to the beadlocks. I'll have to find a way to mount the spare though.

I'll post a build thread in the electronics section on the servo switch. I'd hope to get the total cost under $20 since that's what a picoswitch costs. This will have three positions though, so it's almost like having three pico switches. You'd have to be comfortable with soldering though.