Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Converting a TJ into a LJ.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Converting a TJ into a LJ.

I have never been good about doing build threads, It seems like I get caught up in the moment and forget to take pictures of the work I am doing.
Like most of my builds they start out because of a new tire. I thank Pro Line for the money that I am now forced to spend so I can run the new 2.2 Swampers. I have been waiting for a tire like this for along time. I think it is the perfect size for a 2.2.
I started out with a Nikko TJ body that I aquired from a friend. The more I looked at it the more I wanted to do something really different. I haven't seen anyone build a Jeep LJ. I started out by cutting the body in half just behind the doors. I went online to get the specs of a LJ wheel base and figured I needed to add a inch and a half to the body.

Adding an inch and a half put the wheel base at 11.5-12 inches depending on front axle placement. the wheel base it is sitting on is 11.5.

What am I gonna do with this huge gap in the floor?

Next I will be working a trans hump so I can run a V8 without having to do a 3inch bodylift. LOL

Thanks for looking I will add more pics as the build progresses, all input and criticism is welcome.

Last edited by cave-man; 10-05-2010 at 10:00 AM.
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
RCC Addict

That's a great idea I was just watching a video of a guy running one of these at the rubicon and was thinking I should build one of these. Ha ha can't wait to see more
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #3

Looking good, I gotta learn how to do plastic body work like that it looks clean
Chris16695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the kind words, it is far from done. I will be placing a big order from RPP on Wednesday (hopefully the tires will be in stock) an should have a roller by the weekend.

Im kinda leaning towards something like this.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

You have a great start on this project. Good choice in an inspiration vehicle too. Looking forward to the finished product.
Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looking good! I did something similar, but using a different interior and bed:

Project: "LJ Mutt" - 2.2 Stretched TJ TTC Build

The swampers would look great under this body!
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave-man View Post
Thanks for the kind words, it is far from done. I will be placing a big order from RPP on Wednesday (hopefully the tires will be in stock) an should have a roller by the weekend.

Can't wait to see it in a roller form by Fri. I shall stop by & check it out after work.

Last edited by skywker51; 10-04-2010 at 10:18 PM.
skywker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
You have a great start on this project. Good choice in an inspiration vehicle too. Looking forward to the finished product.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Looking good! I did something similar, but using a different interior and bed:

Project: "LJ Mutt" - 2.2 Stretched TJ TTC Build

The swampers would look great under this body!
Nice build! I have always liked the LJ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywker51 View Post
Can't wait to see it in a roller form by Fri. I shall stop by & check it out after work.
Thanks Luke. Come over anytime and check it out.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default Update

I worked on this thing a lot over the weekend and it is finally a roller. I 4 linked the rear and got it sitting as low as I can for now. The belly is right at 3 1/8. hopefully I can get it a little lower. Next I will be working on the roll cage and boat sides.

Naked

Sorry some of the pics are blurry. I dont have a very good camera. Thanks for looking and please reply with your opinions. Good or Bad.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Heres mine! Im actaully building "The Freak" as we speak which is the LJ you have pictured. Im not seeing pics of yours. They are all red X's.

My Rokmen LJ build
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I really do think that 2.2's would be too big for this build. 1.9 rock lox were hard to stuff in those fender wells and also take the "scale" look away from it. Thats just my opinion though.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
I really do think that 2.2's would be too big for this build. 1.9 rock lox were hard to stuff in those fender wells and also take the "scale" look away from it. Thats just my opinion though.

I agree 2.2's look to big under most bodies. I have a couple of really scale leaf sprung rigs that I have built. This build is more towards the extreme side, Im planning on entering it in our local TTC event when it is done. I just wanted something a little different than I have built before.

Thanks for looking.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Ive got to get one of those bodies though. It looks to be a tad bigger than the newbright one. I know you lengthened it but even the fenderwells look larger. Nice job though on yours. Cant wait to see what you come up with!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Ive got to get one of those bodies though. It looks to be a tad bigger than the newbright one. I know you lengthened it but even the fenderwells look larger. Nice job though on yours. Cant wait to see what you come up with!
I think you are probally right because I can stuff a 1.9 rok lok in the rear fenders with room to spare. Your Jeep is amazing by the way I had to take a double take on some of the pics because it looked like a 1:1
Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

this thing looks awesome,looks like the color i was going to paint mine when i get to that point,love the 2.2's on there
mar618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar618 View Post
this thing looks awesome,looks like the color i was going to paint mine when i get to that point,love the 2.2's on there
Thanks.

I worked on it a little more last night and got rid of the stock 3 link, it now has a 4 link front and rear. I think I have the suspension dialed in for the way I drive but I wont know for sure until i run it.

Im not looking forward to the tube work. Im not very good at it and it is my least favorite part of doing a build. I thought about haveing an aluminum cage made but I probally couldn't afford it. I need to just quite whining and start bending some tube.

Last edited by cave-man; 10-13-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #17
I joined the Band!

Default Nice work

Boo

Last edited by twissted; 03-07-2012 at 08:08 PM.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
RCC Addict

That turned out awesome!! Can't wait to see it finished.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissted View Post
I have a jeep that needs this kinda work done. thanks for the great pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
That turned out awesome!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks guys.

I have ran into a snag with this thing. The front axle is pushed forward really far and the body kinda sits back on the chassis so trying to get the steering servo mounted on the chassis has proved to be a real challenge. I am probally going to have to make some kind of linkage setup like War Pigs. I would love to do hydraulic steering on this build, I have plenty of room but not enough money.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I had this problem building mine up. I had to custom mount the servo along the drivers side frame rail. Very similar to the hand bros mount but something i made myself. I also made a panhard rod. My setup is a 3link with panhard rod. Ill see if i can snap some pics tonight.