Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Third build, one truck.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Third build, one truck.

I saw Buford for the first time at Crawl-a-palooza in 2015 when David (papabash) was walking up to the show and shine with him. I being the big kid I am ran straight over and started asking questions like the kid I am. Well, David and I ended up being long distance friends and at the 2016 Crawl-a-palooza David informed me that Buford was for sale and that I had first dibs. That is if I was interested Needless to say I jumped all over this and brought him home. Buford has already had two build threads, so I'm just doing a already built thread. I'll link the first two build, so yall can see his history.

66 Ford

Buford: Papa's MG200 Chassis Build

Even though Buford was designed and originally built as a basher, I took a different rout. I being a one trick pony, I crawl. I don't do mud runs, nor do I bash. First thing was axles. I decided to try the Xtra speed cast axle housings. HEAVY! Very heavy. I did the ol' try to break em on the corner of the bench test and was really surprised that my 230lbs couldn't break them, so this tells me they'll work. A bit of a strange test, I know, but everything has to be tough as hell because I don't like things that fail during a crawl. Of course I loaded the axles with all the good stuff. Nothing out of the norm except the cast housings. Transmission is nothing special either. Vp SCX10 case with hardened gears and outputs with a Locked up clutch eliminator and a HR 32p steel spur. Decided even though I never really liked brushless in a crawler, I'd give it another shot. Tower had a clearance on the discontinued Novak stuff, so I decided to try a Crusher with the 13.5 Ballistic even though I'd heard bad and Novak was no longer around, the price was right. After some tuning and gear changing this thing is as smooth as a brushed system but being on 3s has way more wheel speed than I'll ever need
So hopefully it'll hold up for a while. Luckily David gave me the interior, links and shocks, so that was all takin care of. I did move a couple of chassis tubes to allow the big 4000 3s packs to set in front of the driver area and I did a little modification to the interior for ESC mounting while retaining the artistic fabrication David did on the interior. I'm going long, so I'll condense a little here lol. Front and rear functioning winches, Locked up wheels, Mudslingers, lots of led lights underneath for the local night crawls and some scale gear. There you have it. Oh, I forgot to mention that he can crawl his ass off. Chassis is much lighter than it looks and the crazy weight of the loaded axles keeps all 10.6lbs glued to the ground. Trenton (MG200) and David (papabash) had already done an amazing job on Buford. All I had to do was put him back together and enjoy After a 4 hour test run yesterday I can honestly say I'm going to have a fun summer running this monster!
Attached Images

Last edited by Jeepiac; 02-12-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Third build, one truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
I saw Buford for the first time at Crawl-a-palooza in 2015 when David (papabash) was walking up to the show and shine with him. I being the big kid I am ran straight over and started asking questions like the kid I am. Well, David and I ended up being long distance friends and at the 2016 Crawl-a-palooza David informed me that Buford was for sale and that I had first dibs. That is if I was interested Needless to say I jumped all over this and brought him home. Buford has already had two build threads, so I'm just doing a already built thread. I'll link the first two build, so yall can see his history.

66 Ford

Buford: Papa's MG200 Chassis Build

Even though Buford was designed and originally built as a basher, I took a different rout. I being a one trick pony, I crawl. I don't do mud runs, nor do I bash. First thing was axles. I decided to try the Xtra speed cast axle housings. HEAVY! Very heavy. I did the ol' try to break em on the corner of the bench test and was really surprised that my 230lbs couldn't break them, so this tells me they'll work. A bit of a strange test, I know, but everything has to be tough as hell because I don't like things that fail during a crawl. Of course I loaded the axles with all the good stuff. Nothing out of the norm except the cast housings. Transmission is nothing special either. Vp SCX10 case with hardened gears and outputs with a Locked up clutch eliminator and a HR 32p steel spur. Decided even though I never really liked brushless in a crawler, I'd give it another shot. Tower had a clearance on the discontinued Novak stuff, so I decided to try a Crusher with the 13.5 Ballistic even though I'd heard bad and Novak was no longer around, the price was right. After some tuning and gear changing this thing is as smooth as a brushed system but being on 3s has way more wheel speed than I'll ever need
So hopefully it'll hold up for a while. Luckily David gave me the interior, links and shocks, so that was all takin care of. I did move a couple of chassis tubes to allow the big 4000 3s packs to set in front of the driver area and I did a little modification to the interior for ESC mounting while retaining the artistic fabrication David did on the interior. I'm going long, so I'll condense a little here lol. Front and rear functioning winches, Locked up wheels, Mudslingers, lots of led lights underneath for the local night crawls and some scale gear. There you have it. Oh, I forgot to mention that he can crawl his ass off. Chassis is much lighter than it looks and the crazy weight of the loaded axles keeps all 10.6lbs glued to the ground. Trenton (MG200) and David (papabash) had already done an amazing job on Buford. All I had to do was put him back together and enjoy After a 4 hour test run yesterday I can honestly say I'm going to have a fun summer running this monster!
Very nice Jon!! I can see why lusted after it!!!!
Marcia already has the decals in a envelope, so guess I'll have send more when you get your axles.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Guess I'll just have to accept them then lol. Thanks Ernie!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The pictures DO NOT do this thing justice! Beautiful rig!!!
mHoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Such an awesome rig makes me want something like it. Always wanted to build something with the F-100 body.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.krug View Post
That is one seriously bad ass rig!!
I really like the centred single cockpit!!
The previous owner (papabash) did an amazing job on the interior panels. It's literally a puzzle when it comes time to remove it and put it back in. After having it in and out about a dozen times, I've about got it figured out

Third build, one truck. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
me build big truck notarex Kyosho Crawlers 17 07-06-2015 07:37 AM
SC trophy truck build 62 bugzilla Non Crawler RC's 8 09-02-2010 08:01 AM
1/6 truck build Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 13 02-26-2007 07:37 PM
does anyone know who build this truck Wicked_Jester Chit Chat 3 02-04-2007 10:50 PM
Truck build-up...with no truck! bugman72 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 17 07-27-2006 10:23 AM