Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: scratch build rc trail truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

Default scratch build rc trail truck

Ok so a few years ago on youtube I found the axial scx10 and I thought wow that things really cool. I started researching them and I had to have one... then I saw the price. Wow. So I started saving and i'm almost at the point where I can buy one but simply cannot justify that much money. The only other thing I could think of was to build one. The only parts I would actually need to buy is the axles and transmission and some other smaller things like shocks. To the computer I went to start designing. This is what I have so far.
pattyv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: scratch build rc trail truck

Um yeah can't see the pic. RC is an addiction like drugs and alcohol you don't need them but your wants supersede your needs and you make purchases anyways. I hardly every buy a full kit. They have a bunch of stuff that you may never need if you have a build in mind.
vwmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #3

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean I cant help it. The desire is too much. Im sorry the picture is unable to be seen this is my first thread and I dont know how to post pics. I have a cad drawing of the frame and the frame rails cut I just dont know ho to post pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated

-pattyv12
Old 11-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Posting Pics For Dummies
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyv12 View Post
I have a cad drawing of the frame and the frame rails cut I just dont know ho to post pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated

-pattyv12
Look here.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

pic of the plans for the frame. Im a junior in highschool taking a cad class so its nothing special. hopefully you can see the pic this time

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/vi...0b3e.jpg.html][/URL]
Old 11-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #7

ok here are the finished frame rails. They were super fun to cut out with a grinder.. they are made out of 1/8 sheet steel and the cross members will be made out of 1/2 inch tube steel. I hope to have the whole frame welded together by this weekend... stay tuned im gonna need some help with the rest of the planning

-pattyv12

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/vi...8419.jpg.html][/URL]
Old 11-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #8

Did some more work just wanted to let everyone know that I didn't give up yet haha. If this truck comes together and works well than this is definitely the best option for someone wanting a truck for less than 200. So far I have like 10 invested in the frame and have another 5 invested in my materials for links.

These pictures show the two frame rails matched up and cleaned up plus a mockup of what it will look like when it is welded together. Thanks for looking and comments are greatly appreciated as they encourage me to keep going.

-pattyv12
Old 11-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #9

The main goal of this project just to keep in mind was to build a scale-ish rc trial truck/ crawler that I could have fun with like the people on youtube for a cheaper price. The Scx10 was the most common one and therefore this is kind of a replica, copy of one of those accept homemade. Please any feedback or thoughts are highly welcomed. Enjoy

-pattyv12
Old 11-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I respect a scratch build at a young age. This sport was once ran by guys who made all of their own parts and rigs.
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The main goal of this project just to keep in mind was to build a scale-ish rc trial truck/ crawler that I could have fun with like the people on youtube for a cheaper price. The Scx10 was the most common one and therefore this is kind of a replica, copy of one of those accept homemade. Please any feedback or thoughts are highly welcomed. Enjoy

-pattyv12
Suggestion...
Order yourself a scx skid plate\brace combo, it will help in link geometry and getting everything straight.
Otherwise measure twice cut\drill once.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #12

Thanks for the kind words. I was considering an scx10 skid plate combo and I wasnt sure how id put one in. I just bought a good amount of threaded rod for links so im not sure yet. I just need to weld the frame and get axles to have a rollung chassis in a few weeks. Anyone know where to get cheapish scx10 axles besides ebay (my paypal is broken haha). Thanks

-pattyv12
Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I've got the same itch. I've built several MOA chassis rigs but I really like the scale realism of shaft driven trail rigs..however all my tools and experience relate to wood and plastic...not metal. It will be a stretch to get something like that chassis put together. Looks good!

eBay seems to be the WTG for cheap SCX10 axles. Fix that PayPal!
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #14

Thanks haha. Honestly it's incredible what can be done with a grinder and a mig welder and some perseverance. I'm learning as I go too which is half the fun. The finished product looks so good in my head and I hope I can finish it to show everyone and encourage people to tackle their own scratch build. I'll keep working on it and keep everyone up to date. Have fun

-pattyv12
Old 11-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I was considering an scx10 skid plate combo and I wasnt sure how id put one in. I just bought a good amount of threaded rod for links so im not sure yet. I just need to weld the frame and get axles to have a rollung chassis in a few weeks. Anyone know where to get cheapish scx10 axles besides ebay (my paypal is broken haha). Thanks

-pattyv12
It is as simple as drilling 4 holes for the skid and a few more for the braces. Hope you don't mind my last scratch chassis. Using the scx skid combo.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #16

Ok everyone im sorry that I didn't get the pics up by the time I hope. I went on a family vacation and got some unexpected kittens hahaha. Shit happens. The good news is I had some time today and I welded the frame all up and I personally think it looks pretty good. Need to get cleaned up and painted. When I can get some axles it will be in good shape haha. Hope everyone enjoys and like always I love comments and opinions. Thanks

-pattyv12
Old 11-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #17

good news everyone! I got one front scx10 axle in the mail haha. Paid 40 bucks new off amazon. I dont know if that was a good price or not? At least Ive got something to keep the project going. Cant wait for it to come in so I can continue the build. Only got one front because thats currently all funding allows hahaha. Thanks and post up any comments haha.

-pattyv12

scratch build rc trail truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Northwest 1.5 LR3 Scale Trail Truck Build Fowlboy 1.5 Scale Rigs 13 11-18-2012 04:20 PM
Boolean21's 1/10 M923 - 5 ton truck - Newbie' try on a scratch build body... :D boolean21 Multi Axle Rigs 46 08-31-2012 03:54 AM
want to build a 4X4 scale trail truck roy 2 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 12-20-2009 02:13 PM
want to build a 4X4 scale trail truck theclimber Large Scale Rigs 4 12-18-2009 06:19 PM
not much rock around,might build trail truck... cityhunter25 Newbie General 2 01-28-2007 06:29 PM