Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Wroncho Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wroncho Build- Overton

This is my first Wroncho build and am a little excited about it

Don't expect speed here, but want to try to keep this going with weekly updates if possible

I'll also try to keep a parts list as well

Started off getting an SC body that spoke to me and is sort of the reason for the build. Next was a Honcho frame and Wraith axles

Today was busy. Found my 8-32 all thread rod and brakeline for links. Went to the LHS to get rod ends. Bought the wrong ones and remembered they had to be Revo rod ends. That's all ready for measuring out when I get there

Dug into my box 'o tires and decided to use some PitBull Rock Beast XORs I have. Took them off their wheels and put them on some ProLine Titans I got today (will have to drill out the hub hole to 1/4" as it's too small for the Wraith hub). I may buy some black hardware for them as I'm not liking all the chrome I'm seeing. 2 are mounted and 2 are mocked up. I don't like how wide the tires are and I don't think they'll work for what I want to do but we'll see. Put in stiffer foams hoping they'd round out, but they didn't. I'll plug the breather holes later. Might use some old stock Wraith tires/ wheels set I got for mock up instead

Moved the rear shock mount back. I may have to redrill holes to get the wheelbase I need which would be 12 5/8" for the body

Will need to get longer body posts... at least for the rear

Last edited by Armistice; 05-12-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wroncho Build

This post is saved to update parts list

Main Components:

Honcho chassis- stock
Wraith axles- stock
Proline Titan wheels
Proline 2.2 Flat Irons

Misc Components:
8-32 all thread
Traxxas Revo rod ends
Losi Nightcrawler driveshafts

Last edited by Armistice; 05-08-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Seems tires will be the last on my list, but need some help. It seems that I need tires between 4.5- 4.75" or 115-120mm either 1.9 or 2.2

As of now, Losi Rock Claws seem to be a good size. I've also found the MT Baja Claws TTC, IROKs, PitBull Mad Beasts, RC4WD Compass, and JConcept Scorpios

EDIT: I see that the Losi RCs are a 5" tire

Anyone local have a set I could maybe borrow as mock up when I get to that point?

Anyway, got some measurements and will work on getting links made

Also going to grab a CMS from RC4WD at some point. Maybe buy it next weekend

Last edited by Armistice; 04-05-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well I hit a snag. I need to have the CMS in order to correctly position the steering before making the links

RC4WD no longer makes the CMS style I'm already running on my Honcho :(

I will now just make my own at work I guess...

EDIT: Screw snags. I'll just leave it as axle mounted steering for now

So got the front pretty much figured out, had to bend the lower links, but had an epiphany. Redesign making the lower links outboard and upper links inboard using the same bolt. Quick mock up shows it works and I don't have to bend the lower links to make it work. Small spacer inboard inside the frame will help the upper with clearing the frame on articulation

Last edited by Armistice; 04-06-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well, I got the front links done. Both upper and lower ended up being 4.5" eye to eye. Need to get more 8-32 rod to do the rear. Need to trim down the lower links 1/8" to clock the axle correctly

It's almost right if bumpers are 5" off the ground, but needs adjusting if at 4.25" off

Anyway, progress pic

Old 04-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

nice job so far.. I just finishing a wroncho build, it has been one of the funner builds I have done..
bill c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks!

I cut 3 blocks to set my frame on to set the height. I got 4.25, 4.5, and 4.75". Not sure which I want. I'd like some height to make up for the wheel size, but don't want it to be too top heavy. I'll grab some pics so y'all can see... maybe help me decide
Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

So I decided to go with a 4" ride height. Front links are all good with the axle clocked upward about 5º. I have a lot of play in the uppers to extend them to clock the axle more if need be

Have to make a run to the LHS for more rod ends

Now question on shocks. I've got just over 90mm eye to eye for my shock mounts. I assume I should go with 100mm shocks so I at least have SOME droop travel? However, I obviously have no weight on the frame at all at the moment

EDIT: After LHS run and visiting parents, and recovering some 1.9 Super Swampers my dad had for a project, I was only able to get the rear lowers done

Also, using an 8-32 tap made the rod ends easier to get on... however I like having them feel tighter, but whatever

Not going to bother with a pic right now as it's not really changed since the last

Last edited by Armistice; 04-08-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Got links finished up. May need to do some slight adjusting once the body is on to get the wheels centered up in the wheel wells, but it seems pretty darn close right now

A buddy here talked me into getting some of the 1.9 Super Swamper XLs, so I put one on my 2.2 wheels and another on 1.9 wheels to see what looked good

Also replaced those 12mm hubs since the Wraith ones have a shoulder on them and my wheels don't allow for that

Hope to get shocks soon once I figure that out, then it's steering, then it'll be electronics and motor stuff

Old 04-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Was able to get some free SCX10 shocks from a buddy today. Some minor parts are missing, but not a big deal. I may have some extras in my Honcho parts tree

Also trying to decide since I'm going to strip the shocks down and clean them if I should do a nice rebuild. Stock shock oil is 30W. I feel a 40 or 50W may be a nice change. A variable rate piston may be nice too; one with a fast compression and slow rebound

Plans for the power plant are to take the Novak 18.5T Crawler motor and Mamba Max ESC out of my Honcho and put it in the Wroncho (I'll be replacing the motor/ ESC in the Honcho anyway)

Drivetrain will prob end up being an RR metal gear set and solid output gear/ shaft. Not sure about housing and such. I also have spare WB8 driveshafts I can use

Last edited by Armistice; 04-11-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Im ready to see the trans and d shafts installed. Im starting a build myself and not sure how to do the upper links. Looking good so far
brug33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Drivetrain may be out for a little bit. Depends if I do from scratch, or just buy a built one. Might just go the built route and just replace as things break

Had to buy shock parts from LHS, so will prob mess with those tomorrow
Old 04-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Got my shocks on. The longer spring is stiff, but I will address that later when it has all the electronics onboard

I had my Honcho's tranny out for repair work, so threw that on to get an idea on dshaft angles and the rear needs a longer one and the front won't be able to be connected as the angle from pumpkin to output shaft is too far apart and too close together

One option is to shorten/ lengthen the links. Another option is to make a relocation plate that places the output shafts in the center of the frame rails. This will cause the rig to be heavy on one side, but easy enough to do a counter weight. I may do that option first

If I do a tranny flip, my dshaft hits the upper link, so that's really not an option
Old 04-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Just a tip, I used the Wraith skid for mine. Made the conversion a breeze. Made my own links due to a specific wheelbase I needed.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Yah, I made links due to needing a certain wheelbase, too
Old 04-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

So kind of been doing other things lately, but sat down and jacked with the links. Finally got them spot on to what I need

Also got the 2.2 Flat Irons mounted onto the Proline wheels. They already look great under the body

I'm still having trouble with the driveshafts hitting the driverside upper link. I'd like to get something thinner as that'd help, otherwise I'll be stuck having to either bend the one link, or bend both uppers

Because the angle of the d'shafts is steep, I'm already binding them at ride height. The plan is to spin the tranny and redrill some holes. I need to have the tranny in the middle of the mount plate, so simply turning the mount plate won't help I don't think. I've heard this is where some Wroncho builds get into trouble

Not sure if there's a way to mod the axles to have centered pumpkins. The link/ shock mounts would have to be completely redone
Old 04-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Like I mentioned - that's why I used the Wraith skid, due to the issues I read, now confirmed above. Not one issue with angle, rub or custom bent links.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Is the Wraith skid the same size as the Honcho skid? I really don't want to jack with the crossmembers too unless I have to

EDIT: I may have found a solution. Stay tuned...

Last edited by Armistice; 04-26-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Is the Wraith skid the same size as the Honcho skid? I really don't want to jack with the crossmembers too unless I have to

EDIT: I may have found a solution. Stay tuned...
No, wraith skid is wider, you'll have to get some 91mm links to use as cross braces. You'll also have to do some modifications to the wraith skid to get it to fit between the SCX10 rails. If you check out my build "New Project for me" in the Large Scale section you can see the mods. However, if you still want to use the SCX10 skid, you can set up the links like this without hitting the driveshafts on flex. This is from my wroncho build.
Attached Images

Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Just a suggestion, when I did my wroncho I used the wraith skid and just redid the s-curve in the scx10 framerails to match. I didn't use them but I test fit the factory crossmember up front and it fit. This kept all of the other parts a bolt on ordeal. I was a little scared how easy this was, just do a little bit at a time until it fits.

I only did the front in this since I was truggying it but I'm sure it would work out back as well.

DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Wroncho Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My wroncho build SkyJacked Axial SCX-10 27 12-14-2014 05:31 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
VP`s JK Wroncho build zonkerd Axial SCX-10 58 04-03-2014 08:38 AM
Wroncho build krawlerkid15 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 06-11-2013 09:46 PM