Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Slick Willy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Slick Willy

This is more of a teaser start to a thread than anything. But it's Friday and I'm bored at work trying to do as little as possible prior to my vacation starting in a few hours.

My goal for vacation is to be able to finally spend some time in Solidworks designing a new 2.2 rig. I've been working silly hours as of late and my itch for another new rig is starting. Some parts are currently on the way for this, others will have to wait until they're available.

Design will be loosely based on the HAUK Rock Rat. This will be built for grueling, long distance, "high speed" trail runs with technical rock sections.

Parts list;
VP Curries with centered rear
Styrene body
3D printed cage since I can't braze with my current living situation
3D printed shock hoops and other various bolt on chassis items
Custom trans, similar to R4 but specifically for this chassis/body combo with 48p 5mm bore Robinson pinions
Waterjet cut aluminum chassis
Big bores with mini-t springs and DLUX
DCW Wheels
LURC Rings
CI Foams
PB Rock beasts
MIPs
Sensored Castle 1415/2400kv
RX8 or MMX (if these work, heard various issues)
4s 1300mah turnigy graphenes

CAD Drawings and submittal to various vendors to follow shortly. I already have quite a bit of this complete in Solidworks but not currently available to me on this PC.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Slick Willy

Tuesday Update

Body and axles are roughed out close enough for now. Time to start work on a trans/t-case and chassis rails.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Very cool
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Sunday Update -

I tried to come up with a few trans/t-case layouts and nothing I could figure out was better, more compact, or cheaper than either the RC4WD R4 or SSD Trans. So, I bought an SSD trans to save to troubles of getting a t case from GCM, and their motor plate.

I got the trans roughed in, it's not perfect since it's done off of pictures on the internet and a couple reference dimensions. Also started on the floor and the cage. I kept the cage round for simplicity and strength. The drilled i-beam on the HAUK jeep is cool, but I think I'd break it pretty quick. As much as I'd love to build this body out of styrene, I know I'm going to be stupid busy here shortly. I'm debating with myself just having shapeways print the body. It'll really all come down to how stupid expensive I think something like that may be. Shocks got here while I was on vacation, so I'll have to pick them up from my front office when they open in a bit. Then I can confirm shock tower height and a couple more items. Trans will be here Monday and that can resume as well. Next week I'll get spools, axle gears, c hubs, knuckles, an esc and motor ordered up for this. I think I'll be switching to Holmes for this and not wait until mid-december for the first run of the castle ones to ship.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

was the floor pan done in SMD?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #6

This is going to be sweet!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post

was the floor pan done in SMD?
All of it is being done in solidworks.

The SSD trans and tcase combo arrived today and it is super sweet. As always everything is well machined, fits well, and the gears look like they'll take plenty of abuse. I got it torn down, cleaned, relubed and loctited.

Also got the shocks drawn up, a possible windshield, and some seats quickly roughed out. It'd be a long shot to say any of the parts so far are 100% final.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Update Time.

Got the SSD trans and t-case accurately drawn. Also got a center crossmember roughed out, re-drew the floor to be more accurate with the original, roughed out the tailgate, and added some details to the tub. DCW wheels and lockedup rings drawn up to check clearances.

Managed to figure out driveshaft lengths. I'll need a yeti length MIP shaft up front, and a short revo shaft for the rear.

A few parts arrived;
HD UD gears
MadDog ultrabright light pods
MIP driveshaft parts
Incision locker
VP Scale C Hubs
VP Scale Knuckles

Orderd up a set of the new Vanquish VXD axles for the front, pretty excited to give these a try, they look quite a bit beefier than the original universals and have replaceable bushings. I always wanted a set of super 300's but never can seem to snag a set.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 11-19-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well, I hate to say it, but this project may not get off the ground for a while. I uploaded the body and cage to shapeways last night even though they're only 80% complete and was shocked by how much they wanted to print it. I'll continue the design efforts but will need to wait until I can braze again to make the cage, and have more time to dedicate to building the body from styrene.

Some other build thread to follow shortly to use the parts I ordered for this. I just can't bring it upon myself to have $2500 into a rc truck.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Back on this. I thought about it for a couple days and I'm just going to build the body from styrene like I originally planned. It'll take longer but is what I really wanted to do anyways.

I got a bit overzealous and ordered up some more parts. I definitely confirmed that it'll need a custom frame. When trying out the SCX10 frame the bends just didn't land where I needed them to. It's a reasonable start to pull some measurements off of, but the trans sits way too high for me to really be happy with it long term.

This evening I'll get back on frame design referencing the stock one for some dimensions. Now that it's mocked up as a roller its a little easier to see where I have issues with clearance. The front truss of the currie is HUGE, so that's something I didn't consider having to deal with.

Pics of the random, somewhat useless mockup

Old 11-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #11

What skid are you using in the mock up pics?
scalemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemechanic View Post
What skid are you using in the mock up pics?
That's an scx10 skid. The only axial parts on the mock up are the frame and skid. I really only did that just because I knew it would bolt together. I may wind up throwing a lexan body on the mock up rig just to have a 2.2 to drive again. Only have 1.9's and 1.55's currently in the fleet.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

This is really neat, I'm always envious of people with the talent to 3D model like that.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
This is really neat, I'm always envious of people with the talent to 3D model like that.
Thanks! It's years of doing this summing up to something similar to what I've wanted to do for a few years. Timing is right and I have the tools at my disposal.

Minor update - totally reworked the chassis. About to scrap the body and start all over in the anticipation of simplifying it a little to build it from styrene.

Should be able to bolt in the SSD trans/tcase and barely clear the links. I'll send this off for cutting by the end of next week. I'll do prototypes in aluminum to see if everything lands where I want.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Any updates on this rig? saw that willys while look through some Sema pictures, should be a great looking rig!
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #16

This is looking awesome!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Thanks y'all. Unfortunately no updates. I've been working 60-80 hour weeks since the start of December. I also wound up being friends with someone locally that has a 3d printer and I've been doing some design work for him and helping him get some issues worked out with his printer. I'm on vacation next week and plan on spending some time catching up with some hobbies. I need to get one other build finished, which is essentially just electronics and wiring at this point and resume progress on this. Expect updates next week on this.

Slick Willy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Slick Rock jp_rey 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-11-2014 07:24 PM
Slick Strips Norton General Crawlers 4 03-09-2013 12:19 PM
Slick JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 1 10-10-2006 11:06 AM