Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Own wraith buggy I need HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #1

Default Own wraith buggy I need HELP

Hi Guys

I have build a couple of rc cars like a 6x6 crawler (not a bolt everything crawler but from my own ideas and hardware shop aluminum and screws).

I want to build a 2.2 buggy but my own custom frame (obviously trial and error). I see a lot of guys building there own custom buggies and using steel (i guess steel rods) and weld or braze it together.

My question is can you guys please tell me what do you use to bend and weld the frames like that.

What material, thickness?
What do you use to weld it together?
What do you use to bend it? (do you use heat)

Can you please post pictures of the tools you use because in South Africa the tools doesn't always have the same name as in USA, UK etc. So then I can show the hardware store what I'm looking for.

Thanks you guys hope someone can help me.
Magrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Own wraith buggy I need HELP

Welcome to the world of scratch building. 5mm rod (3/16") mild steel is most common. Many people make their own benders (Google small tubing bender and look at the images). I like a brake line tubing bender or one that the A/C refrigerant guys use, scales out to about a 4" radius, close to the 1;1 stuff. Small hydraulic line (tubing) is awesome as well. Heat is not required to bend the material. Keep your eyes open, when you come across a good deal or source on material, you may want to buy all they have if its hard to find. Example: I found 1/4" DOM, .058 wall, about 60 feet. I bought all they had for $8 US (I"ve seen it for about $3 a foot.) Another score was for hot rolled 1/4" tube, .065 wall, 150 feet for $21 US. Many braze their cages, personally, I weld mine. If inner shield/flux core is all you have , go for it. MIG is quickest, TIG looks the best, keeping this simple. I think the hardest part for you will be getting any extra/new parts, I've read that it seem to take for EVER for stuff to get to South Africa. If you have decent/good fab skills, try to make as much of your build as possible. Saves potential $$$ and makes it more custom. Good luck with your build, keep us posted with progress reports.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yup - 3/16" tube or rod. Rod is typically easier to bend, weld / silver solder/ braze together, but is heavier than tube. Some people weld or braze but I prefer to silver solder (actually called silver brazing) which uses a silver alloy. I did a write-up of my torch here: Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures).

If you go with rod, you can use a vice or the edge of a table for your bends, otherwise you'll need a bender to avoid crimping the tubes.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

Thanks you guys that really helps. Ill keep you posted
Magrevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Own wraith buggy I need HELP - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith bouncer buggy jwalker 2.2 Scale Rigs 23 11-07-2015 05:19 PM