Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: curious how weak ryft transmission input shafts are?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2024, 03:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default curious how weak ryft transmission input shafts are?

Hi guys, I just bought a ryft.

I know what I'm in for and I plan to dump some money into it to make it more durable and what I want (probably v2 axle housings, beef tubes, lockers front center and rear, metal center axle shafts, beadlocks, castle 1412 2100kv mamba x sensored system, machined gear sets for the ring and pinion gears, 2 speed etc ). I'm just curious how weak the input shafts are?

I just bought a vitavon upgraded one but thats not gonna be here for a while lol.

Thanks
-Spence
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2024, 03:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: curious how weak ryft transmission input shafts are?

Mine is mostly stock, rear trailing arm braces and sway bar. Lockers front rear and center and have yet to blow up a transmission shaft. or break an axle. I have sheered drive pins, and stripped a wheel, and blown up a few servos.

Typical attitude...

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 02-11-2024 at 03:59 PM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:12 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Mine is mostly stock, rear trailing arm braces and sway bar. Lockers front rear and center and have yet to blow up a transmission shaft. or break an axle. I have sheered drive pins, and stripped a wheel, and blown up a few servos.

Typical attitude...

thats good, that picture is insane lol. Like drive pins as in like the little threaded pins that go into the driveshafts and hexes and stuff? Would you say its an issue tho?

I had a losi rock rey and those pins were super weak, wouldn't stop breaking those damn pins
Old 02-11-2024, 05:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
thats good, that picture is insane lol. Like drive pins as in like the little threaded pins that go into the driveshafts and hexes and stuff? Would you say its an issue tho?

I had a losi rock rey and those pins were super weak, wouldn't stop breaking those damn pins
I have broke one after a full throttle landing from a similar height to the pic...also ripped a rod end apart and and stripped the wheel all at the same time...

Old 02-11-2024, 05:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Hi guys, I just bought a ryft.

I know what I'm in for and I plan to dump some money into it to make it more durable and what I want (probably v2 axle housings, beef tubes, lockers front center and rear, metal center axle shafts, beadlocks, castle 1412 2100kv mamba x sensored system, machined gear sets for the ring and pinion gears, 2 speed etc ). I'm just curious how weak the input shafts are?

I just bought a vitavon upgraded one but thats not gonna be here for a while lol.

Thanks
-Spence
Forgot about this thread

RBX10, RYFT, Scale Rock Bouncer
Old 02-11-2024, 06:08 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I have broke one after a full throttle landing from a similar height to the pic...also ripped a rod end apart and and stripped the wheel all at the same time...

Well I mean I guess thats not so bad, SSD makes some HD m4 screw pins and they're $1.99 for 5. I plan to drive this rig a touch more rough than my bomber, and I haven't ever broken one of those pins on my bomber or even snapped a wheel hex pin either. And my bomber is brushless too, not geared terribly high tho.

I think the ryft uses m4 pins anyway,
Old 02-11-2024, 07:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Traxxas ERevo Rod ends. stocks tend to break a little easy. I put the SSD tubes in and so far so good. Granted I dont/havent ran my ryft in a while.
I still have the v1 axle housings if that says anything about how much/hard I've run it.

That said, lock all 3 diffs. If you want an open diff, Vitavon makes hardened Diff Gears and 7075 aluminum diff cup.
I do have the 2 speed installed. do the mods on it. there are a couple that are needed.

Installed a Treal sway bar on the back. Tekin RX4/2300HD combo. SSD scale motor mounted on the spur gear cover for some scale looks.
But for the most part, its a pretty solid rig. diff gears and ring and pinion gears are made of too soft metal and will wear out fast. Shims are needed to keep things spec'd properly to eliminate as much gear lash/slop as you can.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:38 PM   #8
RCC Addict

as for your ? input shafts are 6mm and have been rock solid for me.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:18 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

thanks guys, just got my ryft in, imo the truck is in decent shape, but aye what a turd these things are. I haven't even run it yet, and I really think axial could have done better rtr or kit wise. I think it will be worth modding and when its modded it will be a lot of fun. Mine was used and in decent shape, but the diffs are just gone I can feel

Last edited by Spence; 02-16-2024 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Shot diffs are the norm. 3 SSD or Vanquish or Treal spools will fix up all 3 diffs and make it pretty solid. I'd also get the Incision Ring and Pinion gears for the f and r housings and some shims to make the mesh sound. If you really want a diff, vitavon diff gears and cup. Treal also make a cup for the Ryft, but unsure how the vitavon gears work with them. I picked up the vitavon gears and cup but have not built it yet.

curious how weak ryft transmission input shafts are? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transmission is a weak piece of shit Mr.Lahey Axial Yeti XL 37 06-17-2015 04:00 PM
for those curious about max shafts evan03 Axial Wraith 23 03-04-2015 12:10 PM
Curious transmission ? ? ? DRV KRAWLER Axial Wraith 2 08-10-2012 05:36 PM
to those with mip drive shafts... what is your weak link? helhedded Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 06-08-2009 05:16 PM