Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ryft 2 speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ryft 2 speed

So fedex finally managed to deliver my 2 speed for the ryft 1 state away after 6 days.

It went together without a hitch and for 20$ you get 3 gears 3 bearings and the linkage to hook it up to a micro servo. Which brings up a point that pisses me off. They did the same thing on the scx10.3 where they give you half of the servo saver/ critical part and the other half comes with the spectrum servo they want you to buy. Anyway I forgot about the shifting servo so all I had was one of the cheap 9g servos I use for my tank barrel recoil. It doesn't have enough power to move it back and forth so I have it set to be locked into 1st gear. I would like to have a full size servo but its really tight in there. Thinking ill order a micro promodler servo for the shifting.

I have switched out the motor I think the 3rd day I got the ryft to a LRP 10L. It's probably 10 years old but its sensored, I'm guessing a newer Holmes hobbies motor would start up even better. But this made a huge difference in low speed control. The motor is a 2400kv so slightly faster but I switched to a 15t pinion to slow it down a bit. Not sure what the lowest pinion that it will accept but I think that would make a sweet setup. I was getting 17mph in low gear.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ryft 2 speed

Nice!

I am going to get the 2 speed kit myself, and while I am in there, probably lock the center diff. The shift servo situation sucks, but I am sure there will be a work around in the near future...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The Ryft Kit (at least according to the video HH released this morning) includes the parts for single-speed, as well as 2-speed, trans builds.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

More here:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../AXI03009.html

In The Box
(1) Axial® RBX10™ Ryft™ 1/10 4WD Kit
(1) Optional 2-Speed Set
(1) Optional Sway Bar Set
(1) Optional Differential Spool
(1) Optional Lower Link Plate Rear
(1) Product Manual
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post
.. Which brings up a point that pisses me off. They did the same thing on the scx10.3 where they give you half of the servo saver/ critical part and the other half comes with the spectrum servo they want you to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
The Ryft Kit ... includes the parts for single-speed, as well as 2-speed, trans builds.
The kit comes the same way apparently. The spline adapter thingie (technical term) still comes with the servo, it's not included in the kit either.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
The kit comes the same way apparently. The spline adapter thingie (technical term) still comes with the servo, it's not included in the kit either.
But, it IS possible to purchase that part separate from the servo. Additional, the "set" includes a short, as well as a long, server saver...plus, it comes with servo spline adapters for 23T, 24T & 25T servos - AXI31009.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:23 AM   #7

I installed the 2-speed gears last weekend. I really like it on 4s. Low range makes it very manageable and shifting to stupid mode (high gear) gives you all the power and speed you could ever want.

I used a cheap emax servo (4 for $20) I had from upgrading an scx-24. One of the plastic horns that came with the servo works fine for shifting the transmission.

The shift rod was bent when I first installed the kit making it very difficult to shift. Bending it back made shifting very easy.

Now I just need a sway bar.
mark2215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2215 View Post
I installed the 2-speed gears last weekend. I really like it on 4s. Low range makes it very manageable and shifting to stupid mode (high gear) gives you all the power and speed you could ever want.

I used a cheap emax servo (4 for $20) I had from upgrading an scx-24. One of the plastic horns that came with the servo works fine for shifting the transmission.

The shift rod was bent when I first installed the kit making it very difficult to shift. Bending it back made shifting very easy.

Now I just need a sway bar.
Would you say the 2 speed allows it to crawl now, or is it still too fast for that? I have the 2 speed on order, hoping it'll motivate me to get it off my porch and maybe actually use it again.
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #9

This might work.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/57...cro-servo-horn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rowntrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

how is the top speed of the 2 speed vs the single speed? is the single speed gearing between the high and low of the 2 speed?
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowntrp View Post
This might work.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/57...cro-servo-horn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure...spend $8.50, plus the additional fee Shapeways charges, and get only one tooth count. Or, for $7.99, period can get Axial's own set, which includes 23T, 24T & 25T adapters, plus long & short horns. Although, a better option might be any of the aluminum servo savers made by other companies (they'll still work). While I was originally planning on getting the Axial set, I've since come up with 4 other possibilities from 3 different companies (XRAY, Core-RC, & MST).

Old 05-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwesome987 View Post
Would you say the 2 speed allows it to crawl now, or is it still too fast for that? I have the 2 speed on order, hoping it'll motivate me to get it off my porch and maybe actually use it again.
I got a 13t pinion gear on the motor not sure what the smallest size is that will fit but the motor is really close to the case. I haven't seen any mention of it in the manual. I'm running a 10 year old LRP sensored motor at 2400kv. So slightly faster then stock. In first gear with the 13t pinion it will creap along, I can get a nice slow tire turn when looking for traction. I'm guessing with a newer motor that it would be ever better. 2nd gear is still fast enough to get out of control. I run mine on a 3s.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
But, it IS possible to purchase that part separate from the servo. Additional, the "set" includes a short, as well as a long, server saver...plus, it comes with servo spline adapters for 23T, 24T & 25T servos - AXI31009.

I know, it just bugs me that I buy a 2 speed kit and it only comes with half of what is needed to complete. I don't know if its a Axial thing or a Horizon Hobbies deal. I'm guessing the latter.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #14
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
I know, it just bugs me that I buy a 2 speed kit and it only comes with half of what is needed to complete. I don't know if its a Axial thing or a Horizon Hobbies deal. I'm guessing the latter.
They are giving you some incentive to buy more of their product. It gives them the opportunity to charge you twice

I am sure their is some better explanation for it...

Look forward to seeing some kit builds hit the board
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Remember, they did the same thing with the Capra kit, and I believe they did the same thing with the SCX10-III. Since the SX107 was released (which, I believe, might have been before HH fully incorporated Axial into HH), the 'packaging' has always contained the "lower half" of that servo saver.

The 'great' thing is, there are quite a few other options (plastic, aluminum, and combinations of both) available, made by several companies (Serpent, XRAY, HR, etc) that not only contain lower pieces designed to fit standard-size splines (as almost all other mini servos still have standard-size splines), but they also typically contain all the standard tooth counts. On top of that, some of them have your pieces that have multiple attachment points for the steering arm, for greater fine-tuning (ie. amount of showering (closer, or forget, from the spline), centering).

Since I'll probably be using either a Reef's 99, or Power HD TR-4 (the most likely choice, considering I already have a 3-pack enroute to me), going with one of these 3rd-party servo saver options makes a lot more sense. Just because it a HH-branded kit doesn't mean it needs to only contain HH-branded parts/electronics. My ESC will be Castle. The motor will probably be either be Castle, Tekin, or Holmes Hobbies. Steering will probably be handled by Hitec, Power HD, or Futaba. And, to top it off, if all goes as planned, I should have some Vitavon parts ordered before sundown (which means I'll be needing to go with the Mamba X, instead of the Copperhead 10 I had originally wanted to use).

Old 05-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I just had a brilliant idea...and, it's why I've decided the Mamba X is definitely the way to go. With the Aux wire plugged into the 3rd channel, one can program the Tx (depending on whether, or not to your Tx can do this) to simultaneously "shift" the trans AND switch the ESC between 'rock tracer' & 'crawler' modes. I don't know about Spektrum, FlySky, or Airtronics/Sanwa, but certain Futaba models (specifically, the 4PM, 7PX, & 7PXR) can be set up this way. For those with one of these transmitters, it's worth giving a try.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
They are giving you some incentive to buy more of their product. It gives them the opportunity to charge you twice

I am sure their is some better explanation for it...

Look forward to seeing some kit builds hit the board
Nope. No better explanation. You’re spot-on. It’s exactly the sort of beancounter-shitty-move many (especially those that are slaves to their investors) companies pull. Charge You twice, òr charge You èxtra to get something to work properly ( no swaybar Ryft is a disaster, a raging garbagefire of a car at ànything resembling speed. Axial/Horizon : “ Oh, but we have the perfect fix. Here. Actual swaybar. Now pay $30.- extra, please..” Bloody a..holes )

And it’s not an exclusively American thing. Hobby corporations overhere, Robbe, Graupner, they all pulled the same sh.. Example : You bought a speedboat-kit, thought You’d only need a motor and electronics. Nope..had to buy the whole drive-package separately.. and the pretty bits for the scale-looks.. Both went bust though, worse even : The Chinese took over the companies and used the historic and well known brand names to push absolute bottom-of-the barrel crapola. ( though, truth be told, it’s improving in leaps an bounds.. Chinese learning-ability is -apparently- pretty good.. ) Mebbe there’s a lesson in that? Customers only take thàt much before they leave.

And to think Axial RTR’s and kits ùsed to include tons of fun, extra parts to mod the cars, or adapt them to different hardware. The Ryft is a bit of a Miser-inspired car, especially the RTR, tbh. Horizon took over, and let the non-technically inclined beancounters loose on it, ticking off excel-sheets to pinch pennies.

‘O quomodo ceciderunt fortes’

(‘Oh how the mighty have fallen)

Last edited by Jay-Em; 05-18-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Remember, they did the same thing with the Capra kit, and I believe they did the same thing with the SCX10-III. Since the SX107 was released (which, I believe, might have been before HH fully incorporated Axial into HH), the 'packaging' has always contained the "lower half" of that servo saver.

The 'great' thing is, there are quite a few other options (plastic, aluminum, and combinations of both) available, made by several companies (Serpent, XRAY, HR, etc) that not only contain lower pieces designed to fit standard-size splines (as almost all other mini servos still have standard-size splines), but they also typically contain all the standard tooth counts. On top of that, some of them have your pieces that have multiple attachment points for the steering arm, for greater fine-tuning (ie. amount of showering (closer, or forget, from the spline), centering).

Since I'll probably be using either a Reef's 99, or Power HD TR-4 (the most likely choice, considering I already have a 3-pack enroute to me), going with one of these 3rd-party servo saver options makes a lot more sense. Just because it a HH-branded kit doesn't mean it needs to only contain HH-branded parts/electronics. My ESC will be Castle. The motor will probably be either be Castle, Tekin, or Holmes Hobbies. Steering will probably be handled by Hitec, Power HD, or Futaba. And, to top it off, if all goes as planned, I should have some Vitavon parts ordered before sundown (which means I'll be needing to go with the Mamba X, instead of the Copperhead 10 I had originally wanted to use).

Hello, I am looking for a Futaba or Hitec steering servo recommendation and wondering if you found one? Thank you
jwalk2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:57 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk2c View Post
Hello, I am looking for a Futaba or Hitec steering servo recommendation and wondering if you found one? Thank you
I'm using the PowerHobby MG59 (or, is it 59MG...too early to remember, as coffee hadn't kicked in...and, I'm 500 miles from home). However, due to the spline being a different diameter, I'm using a modified horn, combined with a 3D-printed adapter. If you check my build thread (of which I'm blanking all the name of at this moment), I believe I posted photos.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Ryft 2 speed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Ryft Section? Nova's Ark Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 05-10-2022 08:44 AM
RBX10 Ryft josh9mile General Crawlers 12 07-06-2021 09:33 PM
MT Ryft TAT76 2.2 Scale Rigs 29 05-05-2021 07:30 AM
Axial Ryft vs. Bomber 2.0 SteveB1 General Crawlers 17 02-24-2021 08:16 AM